New Enthusiast Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Enthusiast Here

I have to admit: The first thing that drew me to Grand Design was the caliper in the logo. Having a career that started in drafting, there was an immediate connection. Then, going inside my FIL's rig, I was impressed by the interior finishes. Furthermore, another friend had a challenging issue with his Solitude, and I heard about how both the dealer and Grand Design worked to make things right. So when I was ready to look at buying my first (ever) travel trailer, I knew I wanted to look at GD first.

I did a lot of research online (Like: a LOT x a ton + another LOT). I found a floor plan I liked, at what I thought was a fair price and market value. Then, I did more due diligence. I tried to find something I liked so much in the competition--both online and at several dealers. I've got spreadsheets, TV PDFs, watched hours and hours of videos on YouTube, read blog after blog, scoured the internet to learn anything I can about RV newbies and even some of the stuff that I probably won't need to know. Needless to say, my research has even helped out a few friends, too.

My office is now full of "Day 1" gear (ok, I left the gently used sewer hose and honey wagon in the garage). Oh, and most everything on my "nice to have" list is also sitting here, too. I'm sure that list will replenish after our first trip. Our 2021 Imagine 2970RL was scheduled to come off the line last week. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that PDI & transport go smoothly, efficiently. Maybe the end of this week/maybe next week, I'll be the newest member of the GD family.

I haven't been this excited since my youngest was born.
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

And we're glad you joined us. Back when the company first started, I saw one a Solitude rolling down the road and said "Wow, I need to check that out". I didn't get a Solitude,but one of the first Reflection fifth wheels. I've been sold on the company ever since.

"Gently used sewer hose". LOL.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Midwest Expectations

That's quite a story and it makes me tired , all the research you had to do. All good though and I understand the excitement.
      Congrats and welcome to the Forum and the GD family , maybe see you on the road someday.

Brian

The sewer hose and honey wagon got me a chuckle too , I had a gently used honey wagon once.
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

TucsonJim, Country Campers

little context on that gently used hose...

As mentioned, I had a couple of Amazon lists set up, one for Day 1 stuff (like the sewer hose) and the other for important things, but things that we could clearly camp (functionally) without--like the fancy new Dyson vacuum knockoff that my wife added to the list. Which is kind of what happened. I shared access to the list with my wife and other family members (who have RV experience) to help compile the list. The Camco RhinoFlex hose kit was on my Day 1 list. I just read too many bad things about the lower tier hose that the dealer provides with their bundle.

Well my in-laws decided to start buying stuff off the list as early Christmas/Birthday presents. Stuff started disappearing from the list and showing up at my door. It was fun. I couldn't remember everything that was missing from the list, so it was exciting to open the boxes and see what was there. One box had the sewer hose in it. I started to pull it out in the living room. The caps were still in an sealed bag, and I thought I'd put them on, try it out. I noticed a couple blades of grass in an otherwise-clean hose. I noticed a couple of minor scratches on the hard plastic couplings. The hose was literally sitting on my sofa when I looked at the box and on the outside was a small green and white sticker that read something to the effect of "Amazon Quality Used Products". <<insert the barf emoji here>>

Obviously, I disinfected everything, washed my hands etc. Threw the hose in the garage (with caps on it too). What I believe happened was a lot of those "must have" things have been in and out of inventory recently due to the surge in the camping industry (COVID Campers). When my FIL ordered it, they must have been out of new stock and he may not have noticed he was buying a used one. Don't get me wrong, it's in good shape, it's fine--just wish I would've seen that sticker on the box prior to handling it as though it was unused.

The honey wagon is brand new. I filled it up with water just to make sure it didn't leak (it arrived early enough where it would've been outside the return period by the time I actually get to use it). It's just too big to keep in with the rest of this stuff.

So the moral of the story; family members get excited about your new camper too. For first timers, the Amazon list works really well to share almost like a wedding or baby registry. Your family will likely love to help get those things you want. When I tell the story, I've had other family members ask for access to the list (which at the moment only has some pricey items in it, but again, after that first trip, I'm sure the list will grow). Secondly, when someone ships a gift to your house, maybe check the box over...lol.
        2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

OMG. I nearly choked on my lunch while laughing about your predicament. Thanks for that bit of humor today...

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

So we picked her up this weekend. Got to set it up and stay in it Saturday night.
            The only things we've found so far is a little catch on the top right corner of the screen door; and there are two quarter-sized holes in the kitchen side slide, one on each end. I found them when I was having our tech show us the operation of the Schwintek slide, he said it was a power supply hole (there is a small wire in the hole) and said he'd fill them for us, but then when we finished our walkthrough, we forgot about it. I figure I'll just buy some expanding foam and do it myself.
            I was surprised to see the LPI One Control system on board. GD posted about it on all new Reflection trailers just last week. I tried to find any information about whether they were putting it on the Imagine TTs, but couldn't find a peep. So I just assumed it was only the Reflections, and I figured it was just above my pay grade (or spend grade???). As someone that gets geeks out on IoT; I was elated to see I got it. Also, they're putting a built in TPS module? I'm going to have some reading to do to figure out what that needs! Glad I didn't pre-purchase something incompatible.
            2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest Expectations View Post
              So we picked her up this weekend. Got to set it up and stay in it Saturday night.
              The only things we've found so far is a little catch on the top right corner of the screen door; and there are two quarter-sized holes in the kitchen side slide, one on each end. I found them when I was having our tech show us the operation of the Schwintek slide, he said it was a power supply hole (there is a small wire in the hole) and said he'd fill them for us, but then when we finished our walkthrough, we forgot about it. I figure I'll just buy some expanding foam and do it myself.
              I was surprised to see the LPI One Control system on board. GD posted about it on all new Reflection trailers just last week. I tried to find any information about whether they were putting it on the Imagine TTs, but couldn't find a peep. So I just assumed it was only the Reflections, and I figured it was just above my pay grade (or spend grade???). As someone that gets geeks out on IoT; I was elated to see I got it. Also, they're putting a built in TPS module? I'm going to have some reading to do to figure out what that needs! Glad I didn't pre-purchase something incompatible.
              The TPMS is very new. Your Imagine has the docking station, but you'll need to order "the kit" (GD part # 450149) for the wheels & tires. I'm not 100% sure what is in the kit--probably the sensors.

Support documentation is here: https://support.lci1.com/tire-linc
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The TPMS is very new. Your Imagine has the docking station, but you'll need to order "the kit" (GD part # 450149) for the wheels & tires. I'm not 100% sure what is in the kit--probably the sensors.

Support documentation is here: https://support.lci1.com/tire-linc
                Fantastic! That was exactly what I was looking for. There didn't seem to be anything on it from my owner's manual. That's a bit pricey, but I like that the app will give push notifications, and I don't need yet another device cluttering up my dash/windshield (slightly regretting the 7" camera display for the fact that it's huge). It would be fantastic if GD/LCI would get the Compas app integrated with Apple CarPlay so you could see your pressures/temperatures from the TV's built-in display. That'd be cool. In fact, if the integration of One Control was linked to Car Play, what if you could control other aspects from your car? (thinking about the interior/exterior lights during those short restroom stops on a night-time drive). You probably don't need to run the slides or control the awning with it, but lights--maybe the water pump (did we shut it back off after that restroom break?) could be useful.

On a separate note, it'd be really cool if LCI put a chip in the tongue jack where it could be controlled by the app. Integrate that with data from LevelMate Pro, and you could probably automate the leveling (at least the front to back part) and the bigger benefit would be automating the saved hitch height.
                2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Congrats on the delivery! Glad to meet a fellow 2970RL owner.

We too have a 2021 Imagine 2970RL and are currently on our first outing. 9 days in 3 Georgia State Parks. All is well other than the electric side of the water heater not working. No problem, running it on gas.

​​​​​​​We love, love, love our rig and all the modern amenities!!!
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Working...
                  X