HardWiring Generator in REFLECTION 5thWheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardWiring Generator in REFLECTION 5thWheel

Hello ,I'm New to this But I Purchased A 2019 303RLS NEW.AND have Upgraded A Few things.One of them being I installed a Progressive Dynamics 50 Amp Surge Protector, about 18 months Ago.Now I have Purchased A Champion 3400 Dual Fuel Inverter that I Plan to Travel with Generator in bed of Truck .I have Already Bought a 30 Amp 30Ft. Power Cord I have Cut the the Male End Off & Routed From a storage box In the battery Box Location thru Underbelly up into location where Surge Protector is .At this Point I'm not Completely Sure how to Proceed.I Will Only do 1 OR the Other SHORE POWER or Generator.But How to Connect.

Originally posted by Jlinderman18 View Post
    Hello ,I'm New to this But I Purchased A 2019 303RLS NEW.AND have Upgraded A Few things.One of them being I installed a Progressive Dynamics 50 Amp Surge Protector, about 18 months Ago.Now I have Purchased A Champion 3400 Dual Fuel Inverter that I Plan to Travel with Generator in bed of Truck .I have Already Bought a 30 Amp 30Ft. Power Cord I have Cut the the Male End Off & Routed From a storage box In the battery Box Location thru Underbelly up into location where Surge Protector is .At this Point I'm not Completely Sure how to Proceed.I Will Only do 1 OR the Other SHORE POWER or Generator.But How to Connect.
    I'd strongly suggest you install an automatic transfer switch. Primary should be shore power. Secondary should be your generator. This is the standard way to connect two power sources. If you need help with how to connect the transfer switch, there are many videos on YouTube, or we can help you out.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Jlinderman. When you get a chance, check out the Welcome Letter for new members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Why not just plug in the generator to the external power connector of the camper when shore power is not available? Unless you're planning on having the generator turn on automatically when shore power fails?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

If you elect to go with a transfer switch, I'd recommend you study the attached video that shows installation of a Go Power TS-50 transfer switch. They go into quite a bit of detail at the end of the video about shutting the converter off while using an inverter as the power source. You can ignore that since you'll want your generator to be charging the batteries while it's running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjOECEhYDM

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim Appreciate the Advice.

Comment

I'm Sorry ,I might not have Stated but my intent is to Travel with Generator In Bed Of Tow Vehicle .So that Able to have heat or A/C when finished Driving for the day as to getting a good night's rest.When Generator is in use Or Not it Would remain Secure in Bed. I Feel HardWiring it in is much Simpler and Secure. And When Having Shore Power Would just Use The Power Cord that came with unit new. Thanks John

Comment

I'm Sorry ,I might not have Stated but my intent is to Travel with Generator In Bed Of Tow Vehicle .So that Able to have heat or A/C when finished Driving for the day as to getting a good night's rest.When Generator is in use Or Not it Would remain Secure in Bed. I Feel HardWiring it in is much Simpler and Secure. And When Having Shore Power Would just Use The Power Cord that came with unit new. Thanks John
                That will be an interesting mod, John--I don't remember seeing/reading that type of install and usage with a travel trailer. Would very much appreciate it if you'll do the forum the favor of documenting the good (and hopefully no bad) associated with your project.

Howard

Comment

howson ​​​​Jlinderman18
                  Back to Howard’s earlier suggestion (post 4) . . . why not just plug your shore power cord into the generator in the truck bed when shore power is not available ? Everything will work as it should . . . to the limit of the generator capacity.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X