Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 XLS 22RBE on Order...Now What?

Good Afternoon GD Owners,
    We will be first-time owners and are completely overwhelmed. We anticipate staying mostly at RV parks, but want the flexibility to boondock. What do we need to purchase and what brand(s) do you recommend?

Are chocks and jacks included when delivered?

From reviewing different sites, we made a list of what we think we should purchase but not sure if any/all are necessary:
    - surge protector
    - extension cord
    - hand drill to assist with leveler
    - garden/freshwater hose
    - leveling blocks/stackers
    - Air conditioner external vent cover
    - inside vent cover (to block light)
    - sewer hose
    - water pressure regulator
    - water filter
    - dehumidifier
    - security items to include changing locks and purchasing a tire boot
    - generator
    - WiFi/satellite
    - solar

Also, what type of trash can do you use for inside the TT? Do you have any success stories for securing kitchen and bath items?

Thank you and happy travels :-)

Diane & Trey

Last edited by Diane&Trey; 09-27-2020, 01:22 PM.

Originally posted by Diane&Trey View Post
    Good Afternoon GD Owners,
    We will be first-time owners and are completely overwhelmed. We anticipate staying mostly at RV parks, but want the flexibility to boondock. What do we need to purchase and what brand(s) do you recommend?

Are chocks and jacks included when delivered?

From reviewing different sites, we made a list of what we think we should purchase but not sure if any/all are necessary:
    - surge protector
    - extension cord
    - hand drill to assist with leveler
    - garden/freshwater hose
    - leveling blocks/stackers
    - Air conditioner external vent cover
    - inside vent cover (to block light)
    - sewer hose
    - water pressure regulator
    - water filter
    - dehumidifier
    - security items to include changing locks and purchasing a tire boot
    - generator
    - WiFi/satellite
    - solar

Also, what type of trash can do you use for inside the TT? Do you have any success stories for securing kitchen and bath items?

Thank you and happy travels :-)

Diane & Trey
    A warm welcome to you two! Congratulations on the new purchase.

It sure sounds like you've been doing your research and you have a pretty comprehensive list there.

Chocks and Jacks are not included, so you'll need to add them to your list. I don't use a dehumidifier, but I live in Arizona where it rarely ever gets humid. I also recommend you add a general purpose tool kit to take with you. BTW, most of the screws will be a #2 Roberts (Square) head.

A must have item is a digital multi-meter. It will allow you to trouble-shoot electrical problems which might crop up. If you have the meter, we can guide you through trouble-shooting if need be.

Best wishes on a successful first trip.

Jim

P.S. Check our our welcome letter which will help you navigate the forum a little easier.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We will be first-time owners and are completely overwhelmed. What do we need to purchase and what brand(s) do you recommend?
      Welcome to the forum! While this is a "x is broke, how do I fix it?" focused forum, there are a lot of individuals here with many, many years of RV'ing behind them so I'm sure you'll get more than a few responses.

I'd like to suggest two "YouTubers". The first is Changing Lanes (Tara and Chad) who are Grand Design ambassadors: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2o...-HiiYlbBbKkVqw. Their "Reviews and How To" playlist will have a lot of information that you'll find helpful. This first one to watch? I suggest this one:

There are two more GD Ambassadors (I don't regularly watch them) but their videos may be helpful. Look for "Getaway Couple" and "Wandering Weekends" on YouTube.

A couple I follow intermittently is Marc and Trish from Keep Your Daydream. Their channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEh...t8McryMf_DHLZQ. They've gone through numerous RVs, including two Grand Designs. A "newbie" video:

Those channels also have videos dedicated to almost every issue in your list.

One minor input to help with terminology: you don't want an "air conditioner external vent cover", what you want is a powered vent (Maxxair) cover like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	vent cover.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	30846

If you're a DIYer, these are super-easy to install. Lots of YouTube videos on this topic, too.

Finally, for each individual topic there could be a number of inputs and suggestions from forum members, so don't hesitate to post lots and lots of individual questions in the appropriate "channel", i.e surge protector choice in the "Electrical" channel, etc.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Jim and Howard for all your great advice and websites. I realized once I posted, I posted to the wrong place. We can’t wait for delivery and to start our journey. 😁

Thanks again!
        Diane

Comment

Thank you Jim and Howard for all your great advice and websites. I realized once I posted, I posted to the wrong place. We can’t wait for delivery and to start our journey. 😁

Thanks again!
          Diane
          I didn't spot that! Moved your thread to the New Members Introduction channel.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X