RV Shopping...17MKE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Shopping...17MKE?

Long time RVer; starting to look at a towable to replace a Winnebago View. We've been very pleased with the View, but our style of travel is evolving. We are focused on the Imagine XLS 17MKE. We definitely want to stay small and really like the floorplan.

We plan to use the trailer to travel nationwide and to Alaska and possibly the Maritime Provinces. We would be using a properly equipped 2018 GMC Sierra but that could evolve with our needs down the road. As a point of reference, a small Airstream would be suited to the travel we intend to do. My question of GD owners here would be: Is the 17MKE up to the task I'm asking it to do? It seems that tank capacities are better suited to extended use than most brands. I would add a modest solar setup, and would carry a portable generator in my truckbed for air conditioning and battery charging needs. I would also consider adding Goodyear Endurance tires and a TPMS system.

I'm looking at having a build with the dinette. Does anyone have a 20 or 21 with the dinette? It seems no dealer wants to stock it that way, but the sleeping option the dinette offers is a must for us.

We are used to traveling with minimalist gear, so we don't feel the small size is a detriment at all! Interested in hearing comments!

John in PA

Originally posted by jbjlock26@gmail.com View Post
    Long time RVer; starting to look at a towable to replace a Winnebago View. We've been very pleased with the View, but our style of travel is evolving. We are focused on the Imagine XLS 17MKE. We definitely want to stay small and really like the floorplan.

We plan to use the trailer to travel nationwide and to Alaska and possibly the Maritime Provinces. We would be using a properly equipped 2018 GMC Sierra but that could evolve with our needs down the road. As a point of reference, a small Airstream would be suited to the travel we intend to do. My question of GD owners here would be: Is the 17MKE up to the task I'm asking it to do? It seems that tank capacities are better suited to extended use than most brands. I would add a modest solar setup, and would carry a portable generator in my truckbed for air conditioning and battery charging needs. I would also consider adding Goodyear Endurance tires and a TPMS system.

I'm looking at having a build with the dinette. Does anyone have a 20 or 21 with the dinette? It seems no dealer wants to stock it that way, but the sleeping option the dinette offers is a must for us.

We are used to traveling with minimalist gear, so we don't feel the small size is a detriment at all! Interested in hearing comments!

John in PA
    Hi John--welcome to the forum. If you haven't had a chance yet, check out the New Members letter to learn how to get the most out of this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I'm also going to send you a private message on an issue--look for it momentarily.

Regarding the 17MKE--I do not personally know the in and outs of the XLS line. But given the weight is kept at or under the GVWR and the suspension and bearings are serviced at the specified intervals, I can't think of a reason the Grand Design won't meet your expectations.

The XLS' have a TPO roof which is easy to clean but there are constant regular inspections required to make sure the sealant is good.

If you're a DIY type and are familiar with working with wires and electricity, consider installing the solar yourself. Factory solar is...OK...but there are a lot of options out there depending on your budget. "Modest" can mean size of the system, but it can still be the ultimate in convenience and modern design. Let me warn you in advance that I'm an unabashed Victron fan-boy.

Final thought: since you'll be headed down the path of solar and (apparently) boondocking, consider going right to a LifePO4 battery and skip paying for a wet-cell (get the dealer to credit it back at time of sale). Look under the Reference Material section in the Electrical channel and there's information from my fellow moderator, TucsonJim, that explains more on the rationale.

Please post more questions as you think of them--that's why we're here!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
    X