New 22MLE Owners -- Cold Wx Camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 22MLE Owners -- Cold Wx Camping?

Pam and I are first time Campers. We bought a Imagine 22 MLE. We want to keep going on a couple more trips before it too cold and have not winterized yet. Since the bottom is enclosed and "Heated", will we have an issue with frozen plumbing if the temperature stays above the mid 20s?

Originally posted by TBush1000 View Post
    Pam and I are first time Campers. We bought a Imagine 22 MLE. We want to keep going on a couple more trips before it too cold and have not winterized yet. Since the bottom is enclosed and "Heated", will we have an issue with frozen plumbing if the temperature stays above the mid 20s?
    Welcome to the forum. Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

For your specific question, I'll defer to d2reid as they've done a lot of cold weather camping. He does not have a 22MLE, but can probably give you some tips.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I've also moved your post to it's own thread.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome to the forum!!
        With lows in the mid 20's and above freezing during the day, I don't see an issue, especially if you use your furnace at night as that is the heat source for the underbelly. If you have heat pads for the tanks, make sure that they are on as they will activate when it gets cold enough. Not sure what your will be, but if FHU I suggest near empty talks with the valve closed. If not FHU and if possible, having your tanks over 1/2 will make it much less likely to freeze as was a great heat sink (heat absorber).
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Getting out in these temps can be a great confidence builder and teach you great sums about your trailer. Two great tools to have are a IR temp gun and a remote temp sensing unit. With this unit, trailer, coach, whatever you want to call it, I am beginning to wonder what to do with mine other than putting it in the deep freeze to keep an eye it since I don't need it downstairs. My learning curve was on our first RV and the real lessons were what I learned on these forums and real life. I learned the "hacks" online and applied them and then real life was over 120 continuous hours below freezing with lows between -5 and +5 and the whole coach except for black and gray tanks were wet. Once you see how your performs in the cold it will teach you more than any forum can. That winter, we were not in the RV, but had a 1500 watt heater supplemented by the furnace. During the cold spell (last cold morning) I registered interior counter temps at 45 and only one water fitting made it to 32 and that was the outside shower on an outside wall. My spare tire made it down to -11. Just use a little caution and your trailer will teach you what it needs.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

will we have an issue with frozen plumbing if the temperature stays above the mid 20s?
            Mid 20's in an RV is quite comfortable. Keep in mind it is not a sticks and bricks so will be somewhat cooler than a house. You don't get into serious winter camping until you get into single digit or lower temps. With lows in the mid 20's you typically will go above freezing during the day. This makes for an excellent opportunity to do the "fill the fresh water tank, disconnect and drain the hose" water solution. You can reconnect during the day for showers and such.

Tank heaters on.

Make sure there are no low spots in the sewer hose.

You belly parts and tank are heated by your propane furnace, be sure to keep it on. Using small space heaters make "spots" more comfortable. My wife used one in the bathroom with the door closed for a nice warm shower. Little doggy loves her space heater and warm heated puppy pad. Just be sure to add up you electric load so you don't overwhelm the circuits.

If you are going to be in snow keep a broom by the door, steps get nasty slick when ice/snow are around. You may have to adjust your trailer tire pressure slightly if you are going to remain in cold temps. PSI is affected about 1 pound per 5 degrees, not a scientific formula, just one I have adopted from years of cold weather camping.

Fuzzy slippers...

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

We just completed 4 days with night time temps dipping to 23, 26, 26, and 30 but hitting 50s during the day. While I did the freshwater tank fill (as mentioned above) as a backup, we didn't experience any freezing. Of course we were in North Georgia so YMMV. The 22 handled the temp very well.
              Robert and Chris
              2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
              2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
              X