Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• santasgdrv

New Grand design Soletude 310gk owner

I'm trying to find the best spot on roof to attach (3) solar panels. I hear stories of panels flying off if in strong wind. I thought if i could at least put screws thru brackets into inner rails on two the brackets on each panel that would help.Thanks for any bodys thoughts. Doug

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The 310GK is one of my favorite floorplans.

The roof on these units is 3/8" plywood. I've worked with dozens of owners on their solar installs. The typical installation is to screw the mounts directly into the roof and then apply some sealant over the screw head. I've never heard of one blowing off with this method, including my own.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by santasgdrv View Post
        I'm trying to find the best spot on roof to attach (3) solar panels. I hear stories of panels flying off if in strong wind. I thought if i could at least put screws thru brackets into inner rails on two the brackets on each panel that would help.Thanks for any bodys thoughts. Doug
        Hi Doug,
        Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance.

I installed my panels just like Jim mentioned in post 3. If you enjoy reading long threads and want to glean "lessons learned" from my journey, check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

Howard

P.S. Not sure if I mention it in my thread, but the one regret I have is not installing brackets that allow me to angle the panels. If I remember correctly Jim made his own.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

santasgdrv Welcome to the forum and the family!
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Welcome to the forum. The 310GK is one of my favorite floorplans.

The roof on these units is 3/8" plywood. I've worked with dozens of owners on their solar installs. The typical installation is to screw the mounts directly into the roof and then apply some sealant over the screw head. I've never heard of one blowing off with this method, including my own.

Jim
            TucsonJim I'm getting ready to install solar panels to my 2021 Reflection 150 260RD. Any idea what the roof thickness is for this model?
            John & Karen, RV Newbies
            2020 Relection 150, 260RD
            GMC Sierra Denali 2500

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post

TucsonJim I'm getting ready to install solar panels to my 2021 Reflection 150 260RD. Any idea what the roof thickness is for this model?
              3/8" plywood on the 260RD also John.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Post a photo of your roof and we can see what panels might work ....
                2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

3/8" plywood on the 260RD also John.

Jim
                  I very much appreciate the information Jim. Is there an online resource where the average owner can access specific information about the build of their RV?
                  John & Karen, RV Newbies
                  2020 Relection 150, 260RD
                  GMC Sierra Denali 2500

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post

I very much appreciate the information Jim. Is there an online resource where the average owner can access specific information about the build of their RV?
                    Not that I know of. The forum moderators have access to some of the drawings, but since we're not GDRV employees, we've had to promise not to share the super secret copies! However, if you need a specific drawing, you can call GDRV customer service and they will sometimes send them to you.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Working...
                    X