Newbie in New Mexico with 2600RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in New Mexico with 2600RB

Greetings from New Mexico! I just took delivery of a GD 2600RB and am totally new to camping in a trailer. The user manual is very comprehensive; however, what I really need is a "starter guide" that show how to de-winterize, sanitize, set up my trailer, etc. preferably in text and pictures. Can someone tell me where I can download such a guide? Any other newbie hints, tips and suggestions would be very much welcome. Thank you and happy new year to all!

Else10

Welcome. Guest Jim has the same model , he should be by to help you with the de-winterization. I am not aware of a guide other than what is in the manual. Lots of help here , post your questions in the proper channel and wait for the responses , we were all new once and willing to help.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Else10 View Post
      Greetings from New Mexico! I just took delivery of a GD 2600RB and am totally new to camping in a trailer. The user manual is very comprehensive; however, what I really need is a "starter guide" that show how to de-winterize, sanitize, set up my trailer, etc. preferably in text and pictures. Can someone tell me where I can download such a guide? Any other newbie hints, tips and suggestions would be very much welcome. Thank you and happy new year to all!
      Welcome.

I'll start with sanitizing and will get back in setting up the rig for camping or others will add in some advice as well.

De-winterizing the water system is simple.

Flush the RV antifreeze from all faucets, toilet and spray ports:
      After the initial flush, make sure the hot water tank valves are in the position for camping and not bypassed.

1) Add 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of fresh water.
      2) Completely fill the fresh water tank and hot water tank with this mixture.
      3) Run this solution briefly through all the faucets and outdoor spray ports. You will smell the bleach once purged.
      4) Top off the fresh water tank and let this sit for at least 8 hours
      5) Drain the tank and flush with plenty of fresh water
      6) Some will use a mild vinegar solution to remove the bleach smell. Some will also use a sanitizing solution in leu of bleach solution.

Propane (Two methods)
      1) Turn on both tank valves and on the regulator point the lever at the front of the regulator to the tank you wish to consume first. When the first tank is depleted the regulator will automatically switch over to the other tank
      2) Turn on one tank and point the regulator to this tank. You will manually have to turn on the other tank and rotate the pointer when needed. I use this method since I like to know where I am with propane consumption.
      3) Before using other gas appliances such as the refrigerator or the hot water tank, turn on a burner at the stove and purge the air from the gas lines. This will allow for other appliances to fire up without issue
      Do not exchange your tanks for refill. The exchanged tanks will be 80% full and may be close to the expiration date. Have your tanks filled.

Battery
      Plug the unit into an AC outlet and turn on the battery switch. The battery will only charge if the switch in the passthrough is turn on. Charge the battery at least 24 hrs before a trip.

Refrigerator
      After plugging in the rig to AC, turn on the refrigerator at least 12 hrs before a trip and before filling with perishables. The manual will state not to travel with the refrigerator on via gas and electric but most all of us do it.

Holding Tank Chemicals
      The best chemicals I have found is Aqua Kem.
      Amazon.com: Aqua-Kem RV holding tank treatment - Deodorant / Waste Digester / Detergent - 1 gallon - Thetford 28614: Automotive

Leveling
      The most important accessory IMO is the Level Mate Pro. I mounted mine in the passthrough to the aluminum frame just in front of the docking station. If cost is a factor, have a three foot level in the rig and with wood blocks or camco plastic pads or Andersen blocks, level the unit side to side first. Then chock the wheels, disconnect from the truck and level front to back. Lower the stabilizers and extend the slide. I do this slightly different but I will list what the manual states here.
      Amazon.com: LevelMatePRO Wireless Vehicle Leveling System: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 44510 Heavy Duty Leveling Blocks, Ideal for Leveling Single and Dual Wheels, Hydraulic Jacks, Tongue Jacks and Tandem Axles (10 Pack, Frustration-Free Packaging): Automotive

Amazon.com: 2-Pack Camper Leveler, Chock Kit | Andersen 3604 x2 | Less Than 5 Minutes to Level Your Camper or Trailer | Levelers for RV | Simply Drive On. Chock. Done. | Faster and Easier Than RV Leveling Blocks!: Automotive

Amazon.com: MaxxHaul 2 pack 70472 Solid Rubber Heavy Duty Black Wheel Chock, 8" Long x 4" Wide x 6" high-2 Pack, 2 pack: Automotive

Amazon.com: BAL 28005 Deluxe Tire Chock: Automotive

AC Pedestal
      Another accessory that is good to have is an EMS. There are several brands and both external that plugs into the pedestal or the type that is wired into the rig. Both have pros and cons but try to get one as soon as possible to protect your electrical system
      Amazon.com: Portable RV Surge Protector Portable EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector: Sports & Outdoors

City water connection
      A dedicated RV water hose should be used as well as a water pressure regulator

Added:
      Black tank drain
      The RinoFlex hose with clear elbow is a good choice. When draining the system, start by connecting the RinoFlex and opening the black tank valve first and connect the black tank flush hose that typically is available at most RV parks. Once empty, turn off the black tank flush and disconnect the tank flush hose and shut off the black tank drain valve. Follow up by opening the gray tank valve to flush debris from the RinoFlex. Wear disposable rubber gloves and have plenty of hand sanitizer present.

Camco RhinoFLEX 5' 10' 15' and 20' RV Sewer Hose Kit, Includes Swivel Fittings | eBay

I believe this will get you started where some of the accessories are nice to have and some are a "really should have" to protect your rig.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2020, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Welcome.

I'll start with sanitizing and will get back in setting up the rig for camping or others will add in some advice as well.

De-winterizing the water system is simple.

Make sure the hot water tank valves are in the position for camping and not bypassed.
        After thoroughly flushing the RV antifreeze from all faucets, hot water tank, toilet and spray ports:

1) Add 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of fresh water.
        2) Completely fill the fresh water tank with this mixture.
        3) Run this solution briefly through all the faucets and outdoor spray ports. You will smell the bleach once purged.
        4) Top off the fresh water tank and let this sit for at least 8 hours
        5) Drain the tank and flush with plenty of fresh water
        6) Some will use a mild vinegar solution to remove the bleach smell. Some will also use a sanitizing solution in leu of bleach solution.

Propane (Two methods)
        1) Turn on both tank valves and on the regulator point the lever at the front of the regulator to the tank you wish to consume first. When the first tank is depleted the regulator will automatically switch over to the other tank
        2) Turn on one tank and point the regulator to this tank. You will manually have to turn on the other tank and rotate the pointer when needed. I use this method since I like to know where I am with propane consumption.
        3) Before using other gas appliances such as the refrigerator or the hot water tank, turn on a burner at the stove and purge the air from the gas lines. This will allow for other appliances to fire up without issue
        Do not exchange your tanks for refill. The exchanged tanks will be 80% full and may be close to the expiration date. Have your tanks filled.

Battery
        Plug the unit into an AC outlet and turn on the battery switch. The battery will only charge if the switch in the passthrough is turn on. Charge the battery at least 24 hrs before a trip.

Refrigerator
        After plugging in the rig to AC, turn on the refrigerator at least 12 hrs before a trip and before filling with perishables. The manual will state not to travel with the refrigerator on via gas and electric but most all of us do it.

Holding Tank Chemicals
        The best chemicals I have found is Aqua Kem.
        Amazon.com: Aqua-Kem RV holding tank treatment - Deodorant / Waste Digester / Detergent - 1 gallon - Thetford 28614: Automotive

Leveling
        The most important accessory IMO is the Level Mate Pro. I mounted mine in the passthrough to the aluminum frame just in front of the docking station. If cost is a factor, have a three foot level in the rig and with wood blocks or camco plastic pads or Andersen blocks, level the unit side to side first. Then disconnect from the truck and level front to back. Lower the stabilizers and extend the slide. I do this slightly different but I will list what the manual states here.
        Amazon.com: LevelMatePRO Wireless Vehicle Leveling System: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 44510 Heavy Duty Leveling Blocks, Ideal for Leveling Single and Dual Wheels, Hydraulic Jacks, Tongue Jacks and Tandem Axles (10 Pack, Frustration-Free Packaging): Automotive

Amazon.com: 2-Pack Camper Leveler, Chock Kit | Andersen 3604 x2 | Less Than 5 Minutes to Level Your Camper or Trailer | Levelers for RV | Simply Drive On. Chock. Done. | Faster and Easier Than RV Leveling Blocks!: Automotive

Amazon.com: MaxxHaul 2 pack 70472 Solid Rubber Heavy Duty Black Wheel Chock, 8" Long x 4" Wide x 6" high-2 Pack, 2 pack: Automotive

Amazon.com: BAL 28005 Deluxe Tire Chock: Automotive

AC Pedestal
        Another accessory that is good to have is an EMS. There are several brands and both external that plugs into the pedestal or the type that is wired into the rig. Both have pros and cons but try to get one as soon as possible to protect your electrical system
        Amazon.com: Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector with Cover (30 Amp): Automotive

City water connection
        A dedicated RV water hose should be used as well as a water pressure regulator

I believe this will get you started where some of the accessories are nice to have and some are a "really should have" to protect your rig.

Jim
        welcome to the forum. A couple things to add:

1. in lieu of having both propane tanks on, only have the one in use open which will prevent you from having both tanks empty without you realizing it. There are also gauges you can install on your tanks to see how full they are.

2. The beech Lane levelers are a bit more expensive but can really help in your leveling process.

3. Get an RV water filter to place between the faucet and regulator. Some campground don’t have great filtration systems and this is an easy way to keep some of the “stuff” out of your fresh water lines. Clear2o makes a great system with a prefilter and filter system but is considered pricey by some. We actually prefer it.

4. Get out there and enjoy yourselves. That is why we all do it and all of us have had to ask this group for help. Be sure to ask away and before too long you can lend your expertise and experience to other new people.
        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
        2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

I will add that your water heater is in bypass mode from the winterization process. Remember to check that the plug is installed and you change the bypass valves to the "use" settings and fill the tank before you turn on the water heater , either electric or propane.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
            1. in lieu of having both propane tanks on, only have the one in use open which will prevent you from having both tanks empty without you realizing it. There are also gauges you can install on your tanks to see how full they are.
            1) Why defeat the purpose of an auto-switching regulator? In 5+ years of full-timing, I've never run completely out of propane - but I do check the tanks regularly so I know their status (we're wintering in northeast MD on the Chesapeake this year). I don't like getting up in the middle of a cold night to manually switch over when one tank runs out. 2) The add-on pressure gauges will tell you two things: if the tank is empty or if it has some propane in it... any at all - not how much. The ultrasonic sensing systems that connect to your phone via Bluetooth or to a dedicated monitor are far more accurate and reliable.

Rob

Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I too was in the habit of only having one tank on due to an unfounded concern of running both tanks out or having them somehow equalize and deplete simultaneously but after a forum conversation a while back gave turning both tanks on and checking them often - with no problems.
              Rob was part of the reason I tried using the system the way it was designed and he's right - they system works.

There was also some input regarding different gauge systems and I thought about them for a bit and for the time being am relying on checking the tanks every day or so during cold weather and without fail taking a tank when its empty and getting it filled right away. (my better half is not going to accept any excuses if I don't keep her warm!)
              Though, have to admit, a shiny new gadget is appealing.....
              Chris
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
                I too was in the habit of only having one tank on due to an unfounded concern of running both tanks out or having them somehow equalize and deplete simultaneously but after a forum conversation a while back gave turning both tanks on and checking them often - with no problems.
                Rob was part of the reason I tried using the system the way it was designed and he's right - they system works.

There was also some input regarding different gauge systems and I thought about them for a bit and for the time being am relying on checking the tanks every day or so during cold weather and without fail taking a tank when its empty and getting it filled right away. (my better half is not going to accept any excuses if I don't keep her warm!)
                Though, have to admit, a shiny new gadget is appealing.....
                Chris
                You bring up good points. I have the tank monitors that I can monitor each tank level, but after my dealer left me with a nearly empty bottle I always leave just one on until it is close to empty then switch it over.
                Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Just a reminder that this thread is a "Welcome new member". I realize that the OP has asked a couple questions but the discussions should be left in the appropriate channels.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I made some small changes to the initial flush and hot water tank valve positions and added a waste tank flush method. The "Reason for Editing" is hit or miss in functioning.

I listed (Two Methods) for the propane use where both methods have pros and cons. There are endless methods in setting up where I listed one of many that works.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Just a quick note to say "Hi" and point you to the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members mentioned by Brian.

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for all your suggestions. I apologize for posting questions on this part of the forum...will do better next time. happy new year to all!

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for all your suggestions. I apologize for posting questions on this part of the forum...will do better next time. happy new year to all!
                          Else10

No need to apologize where this was a good exercise.

Now if you brought up who makes the best truck or tires......gas or diesel.

Let us know how your adventures go and please do not hesitate to ask questions. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here on this forum.

Jim

Comment

Welcome to the family and the forum! I am the Uncle Fester of the bunch.
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                            X