Circuit Breaker Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit Breaker Panel

Why in the world would GD install the circuit breaker panel behind the couch?? We just picked up our 2021 Reflection 320MKS on the 14th of December and noticed it behind the couch. You will have to remove screws holding the backing of the couch in order to access all of the panel. Just venting. Poor "Design". We do love our unit even though it will sit in our backyard until early spring can not wait to go camping.

Originally posted by Lou J View Post
    Why in the world would GD install the circuit breaker panel behind the couch?? We just picked up our 2021 Reflection 320MKS on the 14th of December and noticed it behind the couch. You will have to remove screws holding the backing of the couch in order to access all of the panel. Just venting. Poor "Design". We do love our unit even though it will sit in our backyard until early spring can not wait to go camping.
    Some choices only make sense to them. My breaker panel is behind the couch, and designed such that if the slide is in its inaccessible. I've always thought this was a terrible location.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Lou J ,
      First--I noted this was your first post so when you get a chance please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

There are many issues when putting together a floorplan in an RV that is not unique to Grand Design. No doubt you heard many times when looking that there was no "perfect" RV--there's always compromises.

Looking at your floorplan, where else would you put the power panel? Give up the fireplace (but you wouldn't want all those wires in a slide!)? Convert the couch to a single-seat recliner? Give up space under the desk? Give up some of the dresser in the bedroom? Having the main power panel in the bathroom doesn't sound like a good idea! Maybe at the end of the island? But again-having all the main wiring coming in where there's water lines probably isn't the best plan, either.

Those are rhetorical questions--just suggesting that the location may be the best given all that the 320MKS brings with its floorplan.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Greetings ,

We too thought being the couch is a crazy place but as Howard relates, where else could you put it? We got ours in November, spent about three weeks breaking it in with trip including Hot Springs, Arkansas and a quick run up through OK and KS. With the 7 inches we got last night, ours will be sitting awhile also.
        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
        2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

I agree what everyone is saying but could it be more easily accessible if the couch backing was a little bit more user friendly to remove. I know removing 4 screws is not difficult but I was looking for quick access in case of an emergency. As I said before was I was just venting. We love every thing about this 5th wheel. My wife & I have dealt with only one company for 40 years and the Grand Design we feel is by far a lot superior then the other one and we feel we will not be disappointed. Happy Camping & Happy New Year

Comment

I agree what everyone is saying but could it be more easily accessible if the couch backing was a little bit more user friendly to remove. I know removing 4 screws is not difficult but I was looking for quick access in case of an emergency. As I said before was I was just venting. We love every thing about this 5th wheel. My wife & I have dealt with only one company for 40 years and the Grand Design we feel is by far a lot superior then the other one and we feel we will not be disappointed. Happy Camping & Happy New Year
            GDRV-Mariah -- new owner Lou J 's point is a good input to the Reflection team. Perhaps there's a solution to allow faster access to the circuit panel. I know that when I was in the service that the AFOSH standards ("Air Force Occupational Safety and Health Program" which is based on OSHA) didn't allow anything in front of a circuit breaker panel.

Howard

P.S. Lou--no problem with the "vent". I think you brought up an issue that should be looked at closer by GD. That's why it is so great to get input from new owners.
            Last edited by howson; 12-30-2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Lou J and 50ST8R - Can you please clarify this for me. Are you saying that to open the breaker panel and turn off a breaker, you need to move the couch first?

Thanks,

​​​​​​​Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

GDRV-Mariah -- new owner Lou J 's point is a good input to the Reflection team. Perhaps there's a solution to allow faster access to the circuit panel. I know that when I was in the service that the AFOSH standards ("Air Force Occupational Safety and Health Program" which is based on OSHA) didn't allow anything in front of a circuit breaker panel.

Note ncitro had a similar input on his Imagine, so that would be in 's lane to pass on to the Imagine team.

Howard

P.S. Lou--no problem with the "vent". I think you brought up an issue that should be looked at closer by GD. That's why it is so great to get input from new owners.
                Not to muddy this up too much, but I have a Reflection

Neil Citro

Comment

Thank you for the input! I will pass along to the Reflection team!

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Not to muddy this up too much, but I have a Reflection
                    Oops...somehow I saw "28BH" and thought "Imagine". I'll fix the earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      Lou J and 50ST8R - Can you please clarify this for me. Are you saying that to open the breaker panel and turn off a breaker, you need to move the couch first?

Thanks,

​​​​​​​Jim
                      Jim,
                      Below is a shot entering a 28BH. According to our diagrams the power panel is behind that couch--exactly what Neil and Lou are saying (the 320MK has a similar layout with the couch and distro/fuse box layout).

Click image for larger version

Name:	28BH.JPG
Views:	2292
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	39017
                      ncitro -- did I get your input correct?

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Thanks,

Jim
                        Jim,

yes the panel is directly behind the couch. It does move easily enough once you unbuckle the retaining strap but yes it is obstructed. In fact I spent an hour looking for it as the person who did my PMI never instructed about where it was and I didn’t think to ask what seemed to be an obvious question until I couldn’t see the panel without moving things
                        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                        2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Jim,
                          Below is a shot entering a 28BH. According to our diagrams the power panel is behind that couch--exactly what Neil and Lou are saying (the 320MK has a similar layout with the couch and distro/fuse box layout).

Click image for larger version

Name:	28BH.JPG
Views:	2292
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	39017
                          ncitro -- did I get your input correct?

Howard
                          Yes that is correct. My couch was never strapped down, and I have removed it anyway, so not a concern for me, but the biggest issue was you could not move the couch with the slide in to get to the breakers or fuses.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yes that is correct. My couch was never strapped down, and I have removed it anyway, so not a concern for me, but the biggest issue was you could not move the couch with the slide in to get to the breakers or fuses.
                            According to NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code) Article 551, the panelboard needs to only be accessible when the "RV is in the setup mode". In other words, parked with the slides out.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Wow--talk about timing--the YouTube channel All About RVs with Jared Gillis just posted a new video. He just bought a new 28BH! He replaced the couch on the wall in question with a dinette. You can clearly see the power panel under the table at the 3:16 mark.

ncitro -- you need to go subscribe and follow what Jared does to his trailer. The guy is awesome--no doubt you'll pick up a few tips.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X