So many questions and decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many questions and decisions

We are the proud owner of a 15 Solitude 375RES. It is permanently parked in MN where my folks and my family have enjoyed it for 5 years. I recently retired and want to buy another Solitude, most likely a 380FL to travel with my wife. I have two more years before we can make it a semi full time gig, as our daughter graduates high school in 2 years. My dilemma is this; I just located the exact unit that I would order, if it were 2022. Do I go ahead and purchase it now knowing it would have little to no use for two years? Is that lack of use going to lead to issues and problems mechanically? I have a great place to store it indoors with 50 AMP service. By purchasing this used 2019 model, it results in a 20K cost savings compared to purchasing new. Who knows what they will sell for in 2022. I appreciate any and everyone opinion.

Thanks, Mark

Originally posted by mscofer View Post
    We are the proud owner of a 15 Solitude 375RES. It is permanently parked in MN where my folks and my family have enjoyed it for 5 years. I recently retired and want to buy another Solitude, most likely a 380FL to travel with my wife. I have two more years before we can make it a semi full time gig, as our daughter graduates high school in 2 years. My dilemma is this; I just located the exact unit that I would order, if it were 2022. Do I go ahead and purchase it now knowing it would have little to no use for two years? Is that lack of use going to lead to issues and problems mechanically? I have a great place to store it indoors with 50 AMP service. By purchasing this used 2019 model, it results in a 20K cost savings compared to purchasing new. Who knows what they will sell for in 2022. I appreciate any and everyone opinion.

Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark--welcome to the forum! Since that was your first post, when you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To your question: any answer from a forum member will be an opinion, but I think you already know that. I'm sure you're also aware that the majority of "regulars" here are diehard DIYers. With all that said, there's no question I'd get the '19 and park it. There are specific issues to address with bedding it down, but that's another thread.

One caveat: IMHO it would be well worth the $$$ to have the '19 professionally checked by a trained RV Inspector. https://nrvia.org/locate/ will help you find one in your local area. Of course don't just hire anyone--due diligence to ensure whomever you're hiring has a stellar reputation and experience is required.

The other bonus to getting the '19 is you have two years to do modifications before hitting the road!

Please do the forum a favor and stop back to document your decision.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Unless you find issues with the 2019 model , or it has been well used , I would purchase it to save the $$$. Those $$$ in my pocket are better than in someone elses. Get an inspector or give a good looking over ,check all systems , roof , seams , and so on. The issue I have with todays builds are with the supply chain. This goes across all manufactures. You may get a unit with different items than advertised , some better quality and some not. A 2019 model should be built with the "normal" items , might be a good thing. Your decision though , some will only by new , some it does not matter.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

mscofer
        Hi Mark,

Since you already have considerable experience with a Solitude, I would think that you are in a good position to judge the quality and condition of the 2019 that you are considering. Deterioration over time is typically dependent on weather (sun/water). Having indoor storage mitigates these risks. Just be aware of the warranty coverage that would come with the purchase of a new unit, that you will not be eligible for with the purchase of a used one.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	GDRV Warranty.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	39481
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'll throw in an opposing view...

If I didn't expect to use the RV for two years, I'd wait to buy one for several reasons:
          - Grand Design may release a new floorpan you like better
          - By ordering a new model, you get the full warranty
          - Grand Design will likely update the Solitude over the next two years with new features or updated components
          - You can still buy a used model two years from now if you're interested in saving money
          - Your situation could change where you won't be using the RV full time as planned
          - Grand Design may release a new factory option that you really want
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I want to thank everyone that has responded. A few points were brought up that I had not considered. I will continue to ponder the purchase. The couple that owned it before lived in it full time for 6 months and then parked it by a lake for weekend use. It has several add-ons like the hard wired surge protector, 90 degree angle power plug, generator, king dome, rain covers on vents and full body paint. I've had dealers say that the full body paint it a waste of $ that you will never get back in a resale situation but it sure is nice looking.

Comment

Originally posted by mscofer View Post
              I've had dealers say that the full body paint it a waste of $ that you will never get back in a resale situation...
              Dealers tell you that because they don't have anything in stock with full body paint.

There are a couple reasons I ordered my last two Solitudes with full body paint. First - there are no stickers to crack, fade and peel. The clear coat finish requires less maintenance to look nice. The paint will last much longer than the finish on the gel coat. And finally, it looks WAY better! It is an expensive option but if you order the RV new, remember the actual cost is 30% less (assuming you get a typical 30% discount off MSRP). The one thing the dealer said that is correct is you won't get the full ~$9,000 back at resale.

Just ask yourself - would you buy a car that was covered in decals????
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

One other thing I didn't see mentioned. New units frequently have "new build issues". Those are those nagging things that go wrong soon after purchase. If the unit is two years old, all those initial bugs should have been encountered and worked through.

If the used unit is in good shape, meets your price point and has the floor plan you like, I'd vote to "go for it". And those upgrades are very nice indeed.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Interesting pro & con discussion. Valid points made for both sides. A lot comes down to how you view "RV ownership". Are you a DIY long term owner planning to keep the RV for years and personalize it the way you want . . . or are you planning to own it for a couple of years and then trade it in on something newer and (presumably) better?

Sometimes newer models have attributes that are desirable . . . sometimes it is the other way around and purchasers are wishing for things they saw in an earlier model.

I would agree with TucsonJim that most things seem to go wrong in the first year of ownership of a brand new RV. Once you get past this, things seem to settle down.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I want to thank everyone. After much deliberation we have decided to wait. Two years can bring many changes in health, wealth and lifestyle. Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
                    X