2021 xls 22mle possible new owners-final negotiation is on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 xls 22mle possible new owners-final negotiation is on

Hello all, we have been following this forum for a few months now, due to us shopping for an updated TT...the 2021 xls 22 mle would fit us perfectly...
    We have a 2016 F-150 4x4, 5L, 3.55 gears 15" tires, tow package...
    Presently we have a different model TT, and have been talking about hauling the new "Island", along with a dresser Harley in the truck bed part time... Me thinks its doable without upgrading TV...but have not attempted with bike and present TT yet...

I know you have plenty of confirmed positive ideas/instructions, as we see a great many of them here, and wish for others to yay or nay us on this.
    Thanks all
    Jim N Tina

Originally posted by Road Island View Post
    Hello all, we have been following this forum for a few months now, due to us shopping for an updated TT...the 2021 xls 22 mle would fit us perfectly...
    We have a 2016 F-150 4x4, 5L, 3.55 gears 15" tires, tow package...
    Presently we have a different model TT, and have been talking about hauling the new "Island", along with a dresser Harley in the truck bed part time... Me thinks its doable without upgrading TV...but have not attempted with bike and present TT yet...

I know you have plenty of confirmed positive ideas/instructions, as we see a great many of them here, and wish for others to yay or nay us on this.
    Thanks all
    Jim N Tina
    Hello Jim N Tina and welcome to GD's (technical) Forum. Please take a moment and read the Welcome Letter to New Members--hopefully it helps orient you quickly to our small corner of the internet.

To your question. A fully dressed Harley. In the bed of an F-150? And towing a 22MLE? I'm sorry to write I doubt the numbers are going to work.

I haul a 2006 Honda Goldwing and tow a 315RLTS. I bought a dually after mistakenly buying a short bed F-250. (I'm a member of the Two Time Tow Vehicle Club...unfortunately.) I could have gotten away with an F-350 single wheel ("SRW"), but I'd have been bumping right up against the cargo-carrying capacity of the truck.

That last sentence begs the question: can you do the math and understand all the interrelated ratings between a tow vehicle and an RV? If not, check out the Ratings series in the Reference Material section of the Towing channel as well as the thread Payload Problems? How Much Can I Really Tow?.

Let's talk some specifics. I'll guess that the Harley probably weighs in at 800lbs (or more). The 22MLE can have a tongue weight up to 1,000lbs (or more). That's potentially 1,800 lbs of payload (most on the rear axle!) and that's without any passengers or anything else in the truck.

Besides weight the length of the Harley might be an issue. I can't close the tailgate on my DRW with the 'Wing in the bed.

I could write pages on this topic, so if I haven't depressed you (yet) fire back with more questions and I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190920_082025 (Large).jpg
Views:	446
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	42327

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_090109 (Large).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	42328
    Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ya, gotta agree with howson. Seems a 350, 3500 is in order for that job. The tow rating on the v-8 ford 150 is generally lower than the 3.5 ecoboosts and have to believe the cc would be blown away. As can be seen in the photo even the 350 is visibly weighted down. Good luck.
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Wow...my calculator and large fingers have steered me wrong, once again...thanks to both of you for the advice!! Wife not happy now that the 22 mle purchase may not happen...We were ready to sign tomorrow
        I guess we will be looking at the toy haulers...
        The TV is a 2016 f-150 5.0 L, 4x4, xtr with tow pkg, 18 " wheels, not 15 as previously stated. We just want to hook n haul with the bike, and try to have some comfort also... (the 22mle fit the bill)
        thanks again !!

Comment

Isnt the tongue weight of a xls 22mle around 500lbs, not 1000lbs?
          2021 Imagine 2400BH on order. 2017 RamHD Laramie 3500 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin rolling on 37" Tires, 6" Lift.

Comment

Originally posted by RACKMAN View Post
            Isnt the tongue weight of a xls 22mle around 500lbs, not 1000lbs?
            The GVWR of a 22MLE is 6995 lbs. The worst case planning factor for tongue weight is 15% of the trailer's GVWR. If the tow vehicle can handle that figure the owner can be assured it's a good match for the camper. 15% of 6995 is 1049.

Why is this so different from what's on GD's website? GD's advertised hitch weight does not reflect real-world usage. Their website caveats that value with a little number and a note stating, Based on average weight of the standard build. Every manufacturer does this and it's wrong--there's not a 22MLE trailer in use that has even close to a 490lb hitch weight.

For argument sake, let's accept the 490lb hitch weight as accurate. Even at GD's advertised UVW of 5176 (which is also lighter than any owner will ever see), the 490 lb hitch weight is only about 9%. Websites, like towingplanner.com, recommend a minimum of 10% of the trailer's actual weight. 13-15% is more the norm.

To repeat (for emphasis), when a person is planning IMO a good practice is to use 15% of a travel trailer's GVWR. Use that figure to determine if the tow vehicle is up to the task. If it's not, buy a smaller trailer or a more capable tow vehicle.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The spec sheet from the factory that came with my 22mle showed the tongue weight at 590lbs. That is with no battery or propane tanks on the tongue. Figuring at least 100lbs for those two items alone would put the tonque weight at 690lbs. At to that items stored in the pass thru and water in the tanks and I am sure it will be at least 800lbs or more on the tongue. Looks like I will have to replace the 750lb spring bars I used on my previous trailer with 1000lb bars (even though my dealer said I would be good with the 750's).
              Burt & Pat. '21 Imagine XLS 22MLE, '20 F150 3.5 EB Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Originally posted by trubkrob View Post
                The spec sheet from the factory that came with my 22mle showed the tongue weight at 590lbs. That is with no battery or propane tanks on the tongue. Figuring at least 100lbs for those two items alone would put the tonque weight at 690lbs. At to that items stored in the pass thru and water in the tanks and I am sure it will be at least 800lbs or more on the tongue. Looks like I will have to replace the 750lb spring bars I used on my previous trailer with 1000lb bars (even though my dealer said I would be good with the 750's).
                I have 1000lb bars. They seem to work well. My last outing, the tongue weight via my Sherline scale was 775lbs.

Robert and Chris
                2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Captain Bob, that is helpful to me and hopefully to the OP as well. Looks like I was pretty close to my estimate of 800lbs but I plan on getting a Sherline to get an accurate measurement. May I ask do you have a 1000lb gauge or 2000lb? I believe the the 1000lb should work and I don't have plans to get a larger TT. My TV has a CCC of 1900lbs and with my wife, dog and I and misc items in the cab coming in at 400lbs I believe with a tongue weight of 800 to 1000lbs I should be able to load 500 to 700lbs in the TV safely.
                  Thanks again, Burt
                  Burt & Pat. '21 Imagine XLS 22MLE, '20 F150 3.5 EB Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Working...
                  X