New 303RLS Delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 303RLS Delivery

Placed downpayment on Jan 30, 2021. Got text message from salesman today that our unit should be our of the factory Feb23rd and ready for pick up on the 27th at their facility. Hopefully he is right on the finish date and delivery to their facility.

Is there any way to ensure the axles get greased before it leaves the factory? Bad experience with our current unit chucking a complete hub assembly on our maiden trip beginning of day 2 resulting in having to spend 5 days in a hotel. Dexter did replace the axles under warranty and pay for the roadside service, but i feel that the hubs were not properly greased from the factory as I have disassembled the and the bearing races are purple from heat.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

The axels are purchased from Dexter already assembled and I would guess that GD just bolts them on the frame and starts assembly of the RV. When I did my first bearing repack , one year after purchase , I found that the grease and the bearings were in good shape. If this is a concern for you I would suggest that you ask your dealer to remove the wheels and hubs and inspect to your liking , be prepared to purchase new seals as they usually get damage when the hub is removed. Another request to make of your dealer is to grease the wet bolts on the spring ends and also the equalizer as these have sometimes been reported to no have any grease in the fittings. The last item of importance is to make sure your dealer does a proper wash job of the underneath frame work and all other areas as your brand new unit will more than likely be delivered on some nice salty roads.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jlawles2

The Grand Design assembly plant receives complete axle assemblies from their suppliers. They do not grease bearings as part of the assembly process. No one on this forum has ever reported receiving an axle assembled without grease. The odds of receiving two would be even more unlikely. Whatever led to your previous situation, is not likely to affect your 303 delivery.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jlawles2 ,
        Not a direct answer, but a related process many of us follow on the road is regular measuring of hub and tire temps with an inexpensive digital IR temp gun when at a rest area (or other safe area). Measure the temps on a regular basis and you'll get a good idea of what's normal--allowing quick identification of an issue when something's not right.

Pro truck drivers will just use their hands to gauge the temp of the hubs and tires, but we like fancy gizmos and tools on this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thermal.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	42423
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

With my current unit, I was using my IR temp gauge only to find temps running in the 130 range on all 4 hubs.

Don't know if it was lack of lube in the hubs or something else like a missing or bad nut retainer (axles are new style without the cotter pin). I do know because I inspected the other 3 hubs to find the marks in the races. I also noticed that in all of the hubs there was a minimum of 2 flats before the nut was where I typically set bearings during assembly. Even on the new axles, I have had to reset the bearings preload a couple of times with no trip over 500 miles one way. I guess you could call me gun shy after going through that experience on a maiden voyage with the unit.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2

When we received our Reflection I had a couple wet bolts on the spring eyes that did not take grease. We jacked the trailer up so they would accept grease and found a tire with a little bit of play in the bearings. I did not like this and removed all of the tires and hubs for inspection as it was about 400 miles from factory delivered to the dealer. I found all of the bearings "loose" and not to my liking. Dexter has a set approach on how there bearings should be pre-loaded and seated , I have my own approach. Each year since I have removed the hubs for bearing repack and inspection with no issues found , also replaced the bearings on the first inspection to Timken. The bearings were greased plenty from the Dexter factory and there was no other issues found. I realize that we as owners should not have to take a new trailer and do a bunch of checking but for piece of mind this is what I had done.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              Even on the new axles, I have had to reset the bearings preload a couple of times
              With reference to wheel bearing "preload" . . . the spindle nut should be just finger tight and then loosened to the next flat that fits the cotter pin or the retainer. This is done at room temperature and as all components warm to normal operating temperature the preset clearance will disappear. It is correct for a hub to have a perceptible small amount of play when cold. If you were to check this with the hub at operating temperature this play would be gone. Tightening to a preload when cold will result in a bearing adjustment that is too tight in operation. Attached reference is from the LCI Service Manual. Dexter will be similar.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	LCI Wheel Bearing Adjustment .jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	42646
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, Thanks.
                This is exactly how I was taught to put them together. But on the new axles it was a full flat or more from finger tight. Not to mention Dexter has gone from the conventional castle nut to some strange questionable retainer.

Also not a big fan of the amount of play in the bearing anti spin washer and its tolerances to the bearing. The washer is about 1 shaft size too big and one bearing race size too small on our current unit.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Jlawles2

When we received our Reflection I had a couple wet bolts on the spring eyes that did not take grease. We jacked the trailer up so they would accept grease and found a tire with a little bit of play in the bearings. I did not like this and removed all of the tires and hubs for inspection as it was about 400 miles from factory delivered to the dealer. I found all of the bearings "loose" and not to my liking. Dexter has a set approach on how there bearings should be pre-loaded and seated , I have my own approach. Each year since I have removed the hubs for bearing repack and inspection with no issues found , also replaced the bearings on the first inspection to Timken. The bearings were greased plenty from the Dexter factory and there was no other issues found. I realize that we as owners should not have to take a new trailer and do a bunch of checking but for piece of mind this is what I had done.

Brian
                  For stuck grease fittings, I have used the Grease Buster from Lock N Lube. They also have high quality grease guns that work. https://locknlube.com/collections/grease-buster Note; I have no association with the company, just the quality stuff they have. It does seem strange to have these issues on a new rig though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grease-Buster-New-Angle-Web_380x@2x.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.9 KB ID:	44476
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jlackman; 02-28-2021, 11:18 PM. Reason: corrected typo
                  2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

Working...
                  X