New G-Class 30G Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New G-Class 30G Owner

Hi all. I jumped the shark and posted a question about a hitch for the trailer I have yet to take ownership of, a 2021 Momentum 30G toy hauler, before introducing myself. So....

Jeff here... I live in Gilbert, AZ, but will be travelling nearly full-time. I own a software consulting business and have employees all over, so I thought it would be cool to see the country I love and meet employees I've never met. I've been visiting national and state parks, as well as boondocking areas and smaller private parks (meh) for the last couple months, and really look forward to getting out there and being part of the community.

I darn-near bought a Forest River I saw while visiting family in Washington, but decided to stick with my gut, wait, and get the GD. I pick it up in Tucson on 6/15.The garage will hold a 2-seater RZR (if not a small/light car for SCCA events). I reserved a spot at the Austin F1 event in October, so if anyone else is going, let me know and maybe we can connect there. Cheers.
    Jeff
    2021 Momentum 30G
    2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

Welcome Jeff, glad to have you here.
    Please read the rules as we do not permit the hiding of profane words (Forest River).

Just kidding of course.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jeff. All the people and the moderators on here are amazing and a wealth of knowledge. Congrats on the 30G.
      Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
      Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
      2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
      2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

I’m looking at a 29G or 31G so I’m going to hangout on this thread and see how things go. Good luck

Comment

JH2112 and surfmutt@aol.com Welcome to the family and the forum!

Surfmutt, Many advise against using an active email address as a username as it can lead to misuse by others who don't have your best interest at heart. If you wish, the moderators can help you change it.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Update: I picked up the 30G on Tuesday. The dealer (Lazy Days Tucson) parked it at the KOA next door for me since my hitch still hadn't arrived. I'll be here for a couple weeks, studying the manual, exploring the rig inside and out, watching videos, reading comments, asking questions, etc., etc. Thankfully, the ACs work great, because the massive heat wave hit the day I got it (a 12-pack of Pepsis exploded in my truck while it was in the RV parking lot).

Not to influence anyone's pending decision about which model to buy, but I'm really glad I got the 30G due to the open floor plan. I'll be removing one of the couches in the back and replacing it with a desk, and I'm considering taking the living room couch out and building an entertainment center there. The one thing I didn't think I would like about the 30G was the TV placement, and that sentiment was confirmed.

I'm spending most of my time making sure I understand the power system, both how it functions and where all the bits and pieces are. Lithium batteries and solar panels are in my near future, but my first add-on will be the Pepwave/WeBoost combo I've read about, along with an AT&T plan. The WiFi at this park is a figment of everyone's imagination, and four bars of Verizon isn't helping either (everything else here is great).
            Jeff
            2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

JH2112 I too have a 30G with a GMC 2500. We love the open floor plan (it might be one of the biggest in the industry) and replaced one of the couches with a desk - very easy to do, I suggest the passenger side so you have the big window to look out of when at the desk. For the TV position we removed that couch too, extended the slide out floor platform and installed a dual recliner with center console from RecPro. That made all the difference in the world and created a real family room look and feel. If you get a new 5G device and an unlimited AT&T plan you will not be disappointed.

Now the downside. We tow a Honda Goldwing trike, about 1200#. When I load it in the rear of the garage I get sway. Ive been dealing with this for a couple of trips. I going to try to load it all the way forward to the front most tie down rings and see if that helps stabilize the trailer sway. I’d be interested to hear how it goes when you load your RZR.
              Kelly & Susan
              Dallas, TX
              2015 GMC 2500HD Denali
              2021 Honda Goldwing Roadsmith trike
              2021 Grand Design Momentum 30G Toy Hauler

Comment

Hi kdocker I ended up replacing both the rear couches with desks; one for the computer and extra monitor, and the other for a printer and files and stuff. I left the middle couch in place for now, but am considering putting an entertainment center there with an xbox for when I need my virtual racing fix (which is always). The entertainment center would provide a little more storage space as well, which this trailer is lacking. I bought an AT&T phone but they didn't have unlimited, so I'm planning my trips based on both Verizon and AT&T.

Regarding the RZR, I finally hauled it in the trailer for the first time this week, but only drove on the freeway for a few miles. I didn't notice any sway. In fact, I didn't notice a difference at all despite the fact that it took a couple hundred pounds off the tongue. I'm taking it on an hour-long drive Sunday so that will be a better test, then from AZ to Austin the week of the 17th for an even better one. I have the Weigh Safe hitch, so that probably makes a difference with regard to any sway.
                Jeff
                2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

Also, for any other 30G owners, regarding the most annoying thing they did with this unit and probably other G toy haulers; you can't read the thermometer display on the radio cabinet when the backlight is on unless you're eye-to-eye with it (under 6', maybe more). If you shine a flashlight at an angle from the top, you can read it. No other angle works.
                  Jeff
                  2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

Originally posted by kdocker View Post
                    JH2112 I too have a 30G with a GMC 2500. We love the open floor plan (it might be one of the biggest in the industry) and replaced one of the couches with a desk - very easy to do, I suggest the passenger side so you have the big window to look out of when at the desk. For the TV position we removed that couch too, extended the slide out floor platform and installed a dual recliner with center console from RecPro. That made all the difference in the world and created a real family room look and feel. If you get a new 5G device and an unlimited AT&T plan you will not be disappointed.

Now the downside. We tow a Honda Goldwing trike, about 1200#. When I load it in the rear of the garage I get sway. Ive been dealing with this for a couple of trips. I going to try to load it all the way forward to the front most tie down rings and see if that helps stabilize the trailer sway. I’d be interested to hear how it goes when you load your RZR.
                    Update on this: I hauled the RZR for over an hour, mostly on the freeway, and did feel a bit of a tug here and there. Nothing terrible. I felt like it porpoised a bit, too, but I don't have enough experience to know if that's normal or not. I feel like hiring a towing expert to get a real opinion. I will load it further up in the trailer on the next leg of the tour, which is to Austin/COTA.
                    Jeff
                    2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

surfmutt@aol.com
                      The really great thing about the 30G (verse other versions) is that it doesn’t have a wall between the garage and the rest of the living area. As such it creates one of the largest living spaces available on any model in the industry. With a couple of simple mods and some decorations you will have a living area that is over 20’ long. We love it whether it’s just the 2 of us or if we are with 6 people eating and drinking.
                      All that with a King bed in the master.
                      2 negatives - very limited room in the master and very little exterior storage. I think I’m going to put a hitch on the back and get a hitch storage - maybe.
                      Kelly & Susan
                      Dallas, TX
                      2015 GMC 2500HD Denali
                      2021 Honda Goldwing Roadsmith trike
                      2021 Grand Design Momentum 30G Toy Hauler

Comment

Working...
                      X