Feed back please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feed back please

Haven’t posted in a long time.we are seriously looking at a reflection 303.

For 303 owners some questions,

knowing what you know now:
    1 what 3 main areas of the new trailer would you pay attention too before buying?

2 what 3 important question would you ask the salesman about the trailer ( besides price) ?

thanks in advance

Coops

Cooper
    2021 303RLS
    2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Cooper - Coops, careful inspection of overall fit, finish,"quality" of build in and out top to bottom front to back.

If a knowledgeable, trust worthy, and overall top sales professional, I would ask him/her about what challenges/problems/issues have they been seeing or aware of with the Reflection line, 303s, components, and GDRV company in general. I would also ask the opposite having them talk about what is great/above average/etc. about the trailer?GDRV etc. Thirdly, I would ask them to compare the Reflection line (303 specific too) and other GDRVs with other products/manufacturers they sell/have sold. And if they camp, what RV do they currently have (or have had) and why.

I would also talk with the leadership from the service and parts departments about the same areas in the two previous sentences. If possible to talk with owners/GMs of the dealership, I would do that as well.

The proliferation in the use and building of RVs with more and more electronics/connected devices/apps. catering to more of the younger generations wants and needs, seems to be a growing area of challenges in use and/or function along with reliability. There is not much you can do about this if built into the RV already but being armed with information and knowledge may help to prevent problems and/or diagnose and repair more readily.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Many thanks for the response. Unfortunately I knew more about the trailer model and issues than he did. Given your an owner. What one item specifically would you explore further before making the purchase? IE fit finish, the converter, spring hangers.
      I know I will have issues, however, I would like to reduce the significant surprises.

many thanks again
      coops
      Cooper
      2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
        Many thanks for the response. Unfortunately I knew more about the trailer model and issues than he did. Given your an owner. What one item specifically would you explore further before making the purchase? IE fit finish, the converter, spring hangers.
        I know I will have issues, however, I would like to reduce the significant surprises.

many thanks again
        coops
        Yeah I mean the only question I would ask the salesman is how far in the process I can get without his involvement :(

As to your other point, you are going to have those issues, sounds like you have explored them. I would say the biggest thing right now is to be aware that unless you are buying off the lot, what you are seeing may not be what you get. Due to shortages they are kind of putting in whatever they can find, so refrigerators, water heaters, stoves, awnings, may all be different from one unit to another, and what you see today may be different from what you get when you order, or find on another lot.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Cooper

The Reflection 303RLS is one of the best selling Grand Design products and has been around for more years than most. Many of us continue to think that this is the best compromise of size, space and layout. Neil's advice in post #4 is particularly important in the current RV manufacturing environment. If you are not buying off the lot, be prepared for some appliances in an ordered trailer, to be different than what you are expecting. The RV industry component supply base is in chaos.

The biggest challenge in buying any RV is dealing with a sales organization that typically knows very little about the products they are selling and are still rooted in the process of hidden costs and fees that they "forget to mention" until the last moment when they expect you to sign the deal. Be aware that no RV dealer is obligated to do warranty work on a trailer that they did not sell . . . so you are locked into the service capability and location of where you choose to buy. If you take your trailer to another Grand Design dealer for warranty service, even if they will look at it, you will have a very long wait.

Rob

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I only had my 2021 303rls since early April, we have had it out 4 times and getting ready to head back out Sunday. The sales team where I bought mine gave me a really good deal back then but prices have gone up over 8K. Thank god I have had no real issues because like many there not to sharp with the GD which is a shame since they sell them. All I can say is thank the lord for this site for information. I had small issues which took care of my self. I'm hoping I got a good one, good luck
            2021 Reflection 303RLS
            2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Thanks for the response. It’s on the lot. Haven’t seen It up close and personal …however the viewing is “all subject too” before signing on the dotted line as well as my trailer to them.
              the trailer is with a dealer. I think is in a geographical location that the market is more for travel trailers..about 4 hours one way from us.
              not in any rush as we have a SOB that meets are needs fine.
              we Really like the 303 layout,size, and the opposing slides.
              A trailer is a trailer is a trailer.
              Thanks again for the response…if you think of anything else please respond.
              coops
              Cooper
              2021 303RLS

Comment

This spring I bought a 337rls which is basically a slightly longer version of the 303rls. At the time there was only one 337rls for sale in the entire state of Georgia. It's what we wanted so I jumped on it. The dealer was a 3 hour drive away.

If a dealer has what you want and you're ready, go for the deal. If you wait around thinking about it the trailer will be gone when you finally make the decision.

The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the tankless water heater. Give me a std duel fuel (120v & propane) 6 gal water heater any day.

Keep in mind you'll never find the 100% perfect trailer for all your needs. Everything is a compromise. It all depends on what you're willing to compromise.
                Charles and Susan
                2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                Andersen Hitch
                2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

After owning a different brand of 34' 5th wheel with the same layout, I can say the 303 dinette is much nicer than the other one, kitchen is on opposing side and has a pantry in the slide (other was in place of the hutch). GD has a much better fit than what I had before. I can honestly say the time I spent making upgrades to the things in the GD are cosmetic for me (adding exterior lights) where as the other had random holes in the frame, bottom cover (coroplast) looked like a blind 2 year old did the cutting. An all of the floor vents had cracks in the flooring creating soft spots. Since most of these floors are made the same, (1/8 luan foam 1/8 luan) it did not take much to make the floor soft.

Slides on the GD are much better constructed as the walls are all vacuum formed and the floor is attached to the walls much better. Not to mention I like the tube slides vs the cable ones. Cables were nice, but they need attention. Also the GD slide floor appears to be much thicker than other brands. GF could harmonic vibrate the floor with her foot enough to make a sailor sick.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hello…Happy 4th of July….our celebration is 1st if July
                    Thanks for the feedback. Currently own a bumper pull Manufactured by ORV. Really happy with it. However it’s time to move on.

Reason for considering 303rls:

Right length for us.
                    Opposing slides rack and pinion vs cable
                    Right weight.
                    right layout.

Concerns.
                    the frame hanger issues
                    OSB floors and roof ( I have plywood)
                    non installed shock absorber ( mine came standard)
                    I am only 12 hours from the manufacturing plant ( La Grande Oregon) most of my repairs were done at their shop.( borders closed now)
                    in slide refrigerator ( never had one and read they don’t cool as well)
                    Cable pulls on black and grey tank dump handles.;Prefer straight rods for a straight pull)
                    Nautilus control centre ( never had one so it’s something new)

I know there will be issues I am trying to reduce significant surprises. Like the fire caused by sloppy wiring contacting refrigerator hot pipe.

in saying that it’s a compromise and besides “ A trailer is a trailer is a trailer”

Thanks again..hope you had a safe 4th of July

Coops

Cooper
                    2021 303RLS

Comment

Cooper
                      Hi Coops,

You are obviously doing your research . . . nothing wrong with that .
                      (BTW, there are several on this forum who celebrate the 1st of July rather than the 4th )

I "think" the hanger issue is behind us with the change a couple of years ago to shorter wider Dexter hangers rather than the tall narrow LCI ones.
                      If you read the specs on OSB, it is every bit as durable as construction plywood and is now used almost everywhere in residential construction. Same wood, same glue as plywood. No voids in the sheets and the floor is one continuous sheet with no seams.
                      There has been a lot of discussion on the forum of the pro/con of shocks. If you want them, they are an easy aftermarket install. Many (including me) don't think the benefit is worth the complexity . . . but there are definitely well researched counter opinions!
                      Fridge in the slide is now a common configuration and with a properly functioning and vented fridge, works well.
                      Cable pull gate valves have become another industry standard . . . these do require some care and maintenance.
                      The Nautilus panel is made up of simple valves and a lot of plumbing connections . . . it is what it is, but works well for most, once it is understood.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank for the feedback. I guess I am spoiled with having the manufacturing plant for repairs so close and the strong positive relationship with ORV.
                        This forum and another forum has been invaluable for providing information. Sifting through the information and comments that I can relate to is somewhat daunting but worthwhile.

Again your feed back is much appreciated.

As a side note bad wildfires in BC. Lytton the village that was totally destroyed by fire is only 2 hours west of us. Parts of Kamloops were I live was evacuated 2 days ago.

Coops
                        Last edited by Country Campers; 07-06-2021, 05:39 AM. Reason: Rule 15. Removed forum name
                        Cooper
                        2021 303RLS

Comment

Thank for the feedback. I guess I am spoiled with having the manufacturing plant for repairs so close and the strong positive relationship with ORV.
                          This forum and another forum has been invaluable for providing information. Sifting through the information and comments that I can relate to is somewhat daunting but worthwhile.

Again your feed back is much appreciated.

As a side note bad wildfires in BC. Lytton the village that was totally destroyed by fire is only 2 hours west of us. Parts of Kamloops were I live was evacuated 2 days ago.

Coops
                          Coops, so very sorry about the fires and destruction your area is experiencing. I hope all get out safely and that things don’t get worse this summer.

I fulltime in a 303rls and have also looked at ORV for future purchase and have compared both. My 2018 had a slide box design that did not take into account weight of the new appliances that were part of new model year. The slide box bowed and with use, crowned the main floor and ripped the vinyl. GD repaired my unit at their factory as it was intensive. They removed all main floor furnishings, slides and floor. They found aluminum frame support spanning along main floor was not welded correctly which also contributed to main floor damage. They rewelded and added additional aluminum crossmembers, new floor, redesigned slide box with more rollers, beefier floor and outriggers. Honestly, I should have got a new unit but this one is probably now stronger than stock. This is not indicative of any other 303rls just that mine had a manufacturing defect and was repaired without hesitation at the GD factory. They are all built by humans and you can get a perfect unit or one with flaws no matter if GD or ORV.

Pros: GD customer service has been fantastic and although Lippert gets a bad wrap on quality, their customer support is also very good. Fit and finish on my unit was very good when I purchased in 2017. The floor plan is comfortable and storage is more than adequate for fulltime living.

Cons: Lippert frame is 8” vs 10” on similar size and ORV manufactures frame in house. Holding tanks are designed to be traveled with full. To me this is a big issue because I am limited to using campgrounds where they have a dump station and water nearby so I am not traveling a long distance with full tanks. I told ORV rep that GD does not recommend traveling with full holding tanks and she just laughed.

If you do not plan on using forest service or boondock in areas where roads leading to sites are gravel and washboard, then the 303rls would be a wonderful choice. This is the reason I will finish off my travels of the US and Canada with my 303 using current strategy of highways only and exploring from improved campsites. Making note of where I would want to come back to will require a smaller footprint and a sturdier unit designed specifically for this purpose. This is where ORV design shines above GD, I do love the remote forest service, BLM and state parks I have been to best.

If you look up past posts of mine, I also beefed up the suspension by adding disc brakes, V Clips welded to all hangers and cross bracing. Now looking at possibly adding shocks at my next service visit when at the Lippert facility. After traveling through I 10 to get west of Florida this year, it is a miracle my GD is still intact. I thought southern Michigan and northern Indiana were horrible…….how are Canadian roads? That’s my next trip plan when you all let us in.

Last edited by Beachcamper; 07-14-2021, 10:30 AM.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Hello…many thanks for the feedback.Nice comparison and an analysis between ORV and GD. Both are good, for different reasons.
                            As a friend of mine said “we don’t camp we travel in our trailer.” …and that’s what we do ….we travel.
                            We winter ( when the USA will let us in lolol) 5 to 6 months in Southern California in a resort…a high end campground. In the summer we stay at provincial parks similar I think to state parks. No rustic camping, we boon docking with flush toilets and showers no electrical power. We used to canoe camp no more portage or carrying the canoe for me.

Where we live the roads take a beating with the winter conditions. They do there best and since our population is smaller we have less traffic. I would say are highways are a little better than I-5.

We are talking to the GD dealer in BC…if we can make a deal fine..if not that’s ok too. One person on this or an other forum indicated the demand and price for RV will flatten once the pandemic is significantly under control….as well as the potential for some nice pre owned ones being available.

we have lots of smoke due to wildfires and it’s really hot with temperature in the high 30c to low 40c for the next week or so.

Try Jasper National Park or Waterton Lakes National Parks…both great. Rustic camping with full amenities. Hyder Alaska is nice too or Atlin BC

keep safe

Coops

Cooper
                            2021 303RLS

Comment

Hello…many thanks for the feedback.Nice comparison and an analysis between ORV and GD. Both are good, for different reasons.
                              As a friend of mine said “we don’t camp we travel in our trailer.” …and that’s what we do ….we travel.
                              We winter ( when the USA will let us in lolol) 5 to 6 months in Southern California in a resort…a high end campground. In the summer we stay at provincial parks similar I think to state parks. No rustic camping, we boon docking with flush toilets and showers no electrical power. We used to canoe camp no more portage or carrying the canoe for me.

Where we live the roads take a beating with the winter conditions. They do there best and since our population is smaller we have less traffic. I would say are highways are a little better than I-5.

We are talking to the GD dealer in BC…if we can make a deal fine..if not that’s ok too. One person on this or an other forum indicated the demand and price for RV will flatten once the pandemic is significantly under control….as well as the potential for some nice pre owned ones being available.

we have lots of smoke due to wildfires and it’s really hot with temperature in the high 30c to low 40c for the next week or so.

Try Jasper National Park or Waterton Lakes National Parks…both great. Rustic camping with full amenities. Hyder Alaska is nice too or Atlin BC

keep safe

Coops
                              We are currently visiting Glacier National park so very close to Waterton and the Canadian border…..so close.

The 303rls sounds like the right fit for your style of travel

Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                              X