September we roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September we roll

My wife & I are new to 5th wheels (towing/hauling in general) & looking forward to venturing out... cautiously... in our slightly pre-owned ('nused'?) rig right after Labor Day. We have done a lot of viewing, reading & listening but still welcome advice - for instance about what we should expect of the dealer on the day, PDI tips, etc.
    2021 Reflection 260RD & 2021 F-250

There is a pretty comprehensive PDI check list here on the Forum. Ask plenty of questions and make sure everything works as expected.

Welcome and if there is any help that you need please feel free to ask, we were all new at some point and are more than glad to help.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Make your first trip close to home. You will probably generate quite a list of things you did not think of beforehand.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. One specific related issue: the rig we are buying (from a GD dealer) is 'pre-owned' - originally purchased in April this year & so it has at least 6 months base warranty remaining &, per the owner's manual, some of the component warranties can transfer also. Given that, any recommendations/experience regarding the merits of buying an 'extended service plan'? [The dealer would love to sell us one, perhaps they get a commission]. On a related subject, if we were to buy a plan & there's a problem, beyond covering (most of) the $, is having one likely to get us at or near the front of any queue at a dealer approved to do the repairs? (minimizing down-time would be a big issue for us)
        2021 Reflection 260RD & 2021 F-250

Comment

The only thing I would request from a dealer extended warranty is "bumper to bumper" no questions asked. Most extended warranties that I have seen usually have some kind of small print that relieves the dealer from paying too much out of pocket for repairs, usually sticking the owner with most of the bill. I would also make sure that the dealer will transfer the GD warranty , GD does not usually do this. The component warranties should transfer with little to no problems, these usually are 2 years from date of purchase so this would cover things like the fridge, AC, water heater , but double check with the manufactures on this though. Other than the components warranty there is not much else to cover except the structure and the roof. Most small items are fairly cheap to replace. Take a good look all around and under the RV for items that look like they have been fixed. The underbelly should be one piece and the only holes should be where the tank drains are. Check behind the Nautilus panel for any signs of leaks, also under the sinks and behind the water heater. Being as the RV is only 6 mos. old it should be in relatively new shape.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X