Hello from Edmonton, Alberta.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Edmonton, Alberta.

Hey all, we just traded in an Adventurer truck camper and a Starcraft trailer for our first 5th wheel. I have always pulled gooseneck work trailers and loved how they towed and this 5th wheel doesn’t disappoint at all. Love how the 5th wheel pulls compared to a bumper pull! I will miss my truck camper this winter though. We would winterize it and continue to use it most of the winter without water or bathroom.

We picked up our 2020 150 Series Reflections 295RL on Aug 27th and have had it out almost every week up until 2 weeks or so ago when we had to park it and winterized it. 😥

Have browsed most of the forum and found a lot of good info.

Trahan
    2020 Reflections 150 Series 295 RL, 2007 Chev Duramax 3500 Classic Ext cab

Originally posted by Trahanp View Post
    Hey all, we just traded in an Adventurer truck camper and a Starcraft trailer for our first 5th wheel. I have always pulled gooseneck work trailers and loved how they towed and this 5th wheel doesn’t disappoint at all. Love how the 5th wheel pulls compared to a bumper pull! I will miss my truck camper this winter though. We would winterize it and continue to use it most of the winter without water or bathroom.

We picked up our 2020 150 Series Reflections 295RL on Aug 27th and have had it out almost every week up until 2 weeks or so ago when we had to park it and winterized it. 😥

Have browsed most of the forum and found a lot of good info.

Trahan
    Welcome, Trahan. Sorry you had to winterize and park it so soon--you'll have to join your fellow Canadian (@Cate&Rob) in Florida for the winter.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Welcome and congrats on the 295RL. We just finished our second year with a fifth wheel , still getting use to backing it up, quite the learning curve.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Trahanp
        Hi Trahan . . . Congratulations on the new 5th wheel and welcome to this forum.
        There are quite a few Canadians on here from time to time.

If you used your truck camper with winterized water system, you could do the same with the Reflection . . . within reason .
        The marketing interpretation of "Arctic Package" is not the same as the Edmonton understanding of Arctic weather !
        We have camped and travelled at temps down to -15C. Others stay full time at temps below this but don't usually move at colder temps.
        I would be concerned about moving the slides in or out at very cold temps.
        The propane furnace can overpower the heat loss through the thin walls and single pane glass to keep the interior reasonably warm . . . but you will go through a lot of propane.

Maybe you can get in some Chinook Camping before Spring ?

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Cate&Rob
          We used to spend a week at the Wapiti Campground in Jasper and go skiing over Christmas with the truck camper. It’s nice, they have 30amp power, and year round toilets and showers. Have a couple electric heaters we used and that kept us toasty warm. I’m sure staying warm wouldn’t be an issue with the 5th wheel. The only issues I see is if it snowed and cleaning the ice and snow off the slides.
          On thanksgiving weekend we went out to Gregg Cabin recreation area west of Hinton and just out side of Jasper National Park boundary and as we drove higher in elevation we ended up with snow and the higher we went to more it snowed. 😎 We got to the campground and parked and when we woke up Saturday morning there was close to 4” of snow on the ground. There is no services way out there and barely any sun for the solar to help out so I used my little 1700w inverter genset in the morning to get some power back for the day. Then midday Saturday it started to rain and by supper time most of the snow was gone. 😁 but then it got down to -12c and everything froze. Sunday warmed up just over 0c and helped melt everything and by Monday afternoon when we packed up to come home I just had to get the ice layer off the slide outs.

Was an awesome weekend and only used up just over 50lbs of propane😏. Luckily I brought the genset along, although it isn’t that big, it kept us charged up pretty well only running it a couple hours a day.

I would definitely love to get out this winter with it, but would definitely take it to Wapiti Campground with power hook ups for sure. There isn’t much else open year round, that I would like to go to anyways.

Here is a pic of the pups Friday night when we arrived and one of the trailer Saturday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	647C1114-D50C-4F32-B4C5-8D236A507283.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	6613Click image for larger version  Name:	5ED26870-3A63-4463-BAED-8FAA4AA279CA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	6615
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Trahanp; 11-03-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Your pictures won't display. It looks like they had a .jpeg extension. If you know how, can you determine the size of one of the pictures (width and height) in pixels and also the file size (in bytes)?

Example: I have a picture named WFCO.jpg. I right-clicked the file and selected Properties and then selected the Details tab. That shows me the picture is 585 x 398 pixels. On the General tab the file file shows 30kB ( very small).

Click image for larger version  Name:	WFCO Properties.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	6605

What I'm trying to determine is if the file(s) you were attaching were too large or if we have a different problem (with the forum). The forum doesn't allow a picture larger than 1140 x 900 pixels.

Thanks for your help!

-Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson

I do everything on my iPad. I removed the pics and put them back. Are they working now?

i did make the pics as small as it would let me.

Comment

howson

I do everything on my iPad. I removed the pics and put them back. Are they working now?

i did make the pics as small as it would let me.
                Yes, they are working now! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X