Turning point pin box and Andersen 3200 Ultimate hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning point pin box and Andersen 3200 Ultimate hitch

Does anyone know of issues with voiding trailer warranties by using an Andersen #3200 lightweight hitch with a Lippert Turning Point Pin box. The turning point will be locked into the fixed position which will not allow and pivoting of the pin box. The Andersen hitch uses a red metal box adapter bolted onto the kin pin ball and it drops down onto the ball installed on the hitch in the truck bed.
    Jim and Jan C.

Hi James,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

When a Turning Point Hitch is locked in the fixed position, it functions just like a standard pin box . . . so should work with the Andersen System. There has been a lot of discussion about Andersen hitches (pro & con) on this forum. Things like which way the pin adapter should be. One way provides more clearance to the cab but less clearance to the box rails when turning and the other way is vise versa. If you use the search tool in the upper right corner on key words, you can probably find these discussions.

I have never seen any information that would indicate that locking the pin box would void any warranty.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

James Cameron Jim, welcome to the forum!
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

James Cameron James, that is only a question that can be answered by Lippert. Anderson states they will honor the frame warranty under the expanded warranty program per their website (https://help.andersenhitches.com/ult...q=supplemental)
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by James Cameron View Post
          Does anyone know of issues with voiding trailer warranties by using an Andersen #3200 lightweight hitch with a Lippert Turning Point Pin box. The turning point will be locked into the fixed position which will not allow and pivoting of the pin box. The Andersen hitch uses a red metal box adapter bolted onto the kin pin ball and it drops down onto the ball installed on the hitch in the truck bed.
          Jim
          Call Lippert and GD on this. Back in 2018 when I researched the Anderson, both reported it would void the frame warranty. You don't list your trailer or TV so it is hard to tell if your looking at this because you have a short box. If you have a short box many folks like a manual slider. Check out the B&W options. Reese has others. Unfortunately there are no replacement pin boxes (yet) for the turning point model, or I would suggest the Reese Gooseboox versions

I am not a fan of the AUH or you choice the Andersen #3200 lightweight. I don't think they are built strong enough.I am and engineer and I have seen where they will not stand up in an accident or possibly an emergency stop/maneuver depending on how close to max loading you are.

Do a search on failures. Search Anderson AUH, Anderson hitch or several other combinations. That's what I did and quickly realized it is not for me. There have also been issues with the king pin mounting block(red) I want a better safety margin. I have yet to see the standard king pin failure in accidents,etc. unless very severe.

Now to be fair there are many folks here that love them and have safely traveled thousand of miles. Just do your homework and decide for yourself. If you do get one be sure to invest in a good torque wrench as it will be required that you keep the retaining bolts to certain torque specifications - not doing so causes issues (hitch movement, etc.)

Hope this information helps
          Keith
          Last edited by Yoda; 11-18-2021, 04:39 PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

James Cameron I forgot about the Pullrite version. I think it's built a bit heaver with some of the extra plates that are installed. https://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

James Cameron I tow with the pullrite, 18000 GVWR Solitude and 3500 Chevy. Well over 10000 miles and am very happy with it. I went this route for the same reasons cited by Yoda above. I started with a #2600 pullrite which mounts into the BW turnover ball hole in my truck bed (single point attachment). While rated at 20000 pounds--well above my GVW-- I experienced a significant amount of chucking. After speaking with Pullrite about this, it was decided to switch to the rail mounted (standard rails) #2400. I recommend the 2400 hitch. You will still need to lockout your turning point pinbox.

This being my fifth fifth wheel, I have no issues with a traditional hitch, other than the pullrite is much easier to hook/unhook.

That turning point pinbox is there so that you wouldn't need a sliding hitch with a short bed, as it moves the pivot point rearward approx two feet. This would also work for those Ram owners who have a "rambox" on their bed, because the rear of the pinbox stays centered over the truck bed. Kind of a moot feature, as the rounded front caps on newer fifth wheels provide much more turning clearance than the old flat front trailers.

Dave
              Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
              2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
              2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
              Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Working...
              X