Just bought our first RV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought our first RV!

Hello! My husband and I just bought a 2600RB. We live in south Texas and I'm confused about whether we should purchase a cover. I've read the threads on this site and am still not sure what to do. Our main concern is the heat. Will waxing it a couple of times a year be enough? We're in our 60s so I'm a little concerned about the effort to put a cover on and take it off but maybe I'm overthinking it? Kathryn
    Kathryn

Originally posted by valdezlv View Post
    Hello! My husband and I just bought a 2600RB. We live in south Texas and I'm confused about whether we should purchase a cover. I've read the threads on this site and am still not sure what to do. Our main concern is the heat. Will waxing it a couple of times a year be enough? We're in our 60s so I'm a little concerned about the effort to put a cover on and take it off but maybe I'm overthinking it? Kathryn
    Hi Kathryn, welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owner's Forum. Please take a moment and check out the Welcome Letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

If you've read the threads then you know Jim ( Guest ) is probably the one that's had the most success with a cover, but he's in Michigan. And he spent $$$$$ getting a really good one. You'll get plenty of opinions on this topic, but even if you get a cover you'll still need to wash and wax. Not only is it a good practice to protect the exterior, but when you're doing that task you're bound to discover small maintenance items to attend to (which can save you from big problems later).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Kathryn,

The most common use of a cover is for protection from winter snow and ice. I don't think a cover would make much difference to hot weather storage . . . in fact, might make things worse inside the cover. There would be some protection from UV degradation, but regular waxing would probably accomplish the same thing. Storing the trailer "indoors" and out of the sun would be the best alternative in Texas . . . although most can't accomplish this. The biggest risk to using a cover is that it breaks loose or tears and flaps against the RV in a wind. This can do far more damage than no cover at all.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The cover as Rob stated will help with UV protection and so will a regular waxing. For the roof you would also gain the UV protection from a cover but the cover is too cumbersome to be used in between trips IMO. I used one for winter storage where the thought was to keep water and ice from entering the rig should a leak occur. UV protection was also a benefit since it would be shaded by the cover from November - April, and our Calmark cover still looks like new after 5 Michigan winters. However after moving this past summer, our rig now sits in covered storage so the Calmark cover is stowed away in a 27 gal tote.

Many covers that fit poorly or made from inferior material will blow around tear apart and mar up the rig. The custom fit cover I have from CalMark Cover Co will not do this where its made from light weight sunbrella fabric and fits tight to the rig. So no abrasion. The cover delivered to us in late 2016 was $900.

The Calmark cover with help to get it on the roof (50 lbs) is fairly easy to install if rolled up properly and even easier to remove. It also has a zipper at the door so you can enter the rig while in storage.

So after providing feedback on our experience with the Calmark Cover, If we lived in a warm climate and camped year round, we would not buy one.

I hope this helps you in making a decision on a cover.

Jim

Comment

Thank you for your feedback! We will not buy a cover at this time and are looking for a storage lot with covered parking-not so easy to find with all of the newer rv’ers like us out there!
          Kathryn

Comment

I stressed over finding covered storage when moving where we lucked out and found a place that is lighted, gated, with cameras and in an open front pavilion. $1200/Year in Ohio if this helps. Of course demand will determine price where we live in a heavy marine environment so in my area they sell storage condos for 100K. Crazy.

As a result, our rig is stored close to my parents where the price was much cheaper so location is a factor.

You will really like that 2600RB.

Jim

Comment

Guest I am in SoCal in a high heat area so I need the UV protection especially for the roof and $900 is a small price for me to pay compared to $1000/mo to rent a decent spot. Only issue I am concerned with is getting the cover on due to my lack of balance and dexterity to put it on! I do have family that can help me though. The cover you described sounds perfect thanks for the info.
              Jim Butchko

Comment

Originally posted by JB9321 View Post
                Guest I am in SoCal in a high heat area so I need the UV protection especially for the roof and $900 is a small price for me to pay compared to $1000/mo to rent a decent spot. Only issue I am concerned with is getting the cover on due to my lack of balance and dexterity to put it on! I do have family that can help me though. The cover you described sounds perfect thanks for the info.
                Ok glad to help. My storage is $100/mo. though. Still not cheap but better than the 100K condo option. Lol.

Jim

Comment

Wow Jim B! We finally found a place today that has an uncovered spot for $65 a month and we’re in a waiting list for a covered spot for $100 a month. It’s about 25 miles away but much more reasonable than the two places we found closer to home.
                  Kathryn

Comment

Working...
                  X