Sos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BirdieGirl View Post
    My landlord tried to help me, found no power at the camera connector and said the battery was dead?
    If you have an auto parts store nearby they can do what's called a "load test" on the battery. Take the battery to them and they will likely check it for free.

Hang in there...lots to learn about batteries. If you'd like a head start check out my fellow moderators "Batteries 101" presentation in the Electrical Channel's Reference Material sub-channel. Link here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So looking at the battery connections under the camper, verify that the black wire on the battery does indeed go to the frame and not the self resetting breaker (i think you have done this). (Yes I have seen this first hand that red is ground for some reason).

That big metal box is probably the junction box for the TV pigtail. There should be a thick black cable coming out one end that goes to the TV plug.

The 2 screw post thingy (very technical term there) with the brass and silver screw is the self resetting breaker. Verify that there is power on both sides (multimeter will also confirm battery is connected properly). I suggest checking the negative connection to the frame for corrosion (hopefully you have some tools and are capable of this).

If nothing in the unit is working, find the fuse panel inside and check to see if it has "REVERSE POLARITY" fuses. If so check these as if someone hooked the battery up backwards, it could lead to blowing them and nothing working (been there done that). This does not explain the tonge jack though as it should be on a separate circuit not controlled by the fuse panel. Look inline from the jack to the junction for any thick spots in the cable. This may be a fuse location or a junction.
      Last edited by Jlawles2; 05-08-2022, 08:38 PM.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	091293AB-632E-4FB4-A053-C7D391A5900D.jpeg
Views:	419
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	84595 Click image for larger version

Name:	053CBF81-E81D-47BE-9CDE-CAEE352CCEFF.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	84596
        Here’s what I see under there. There is power in all the red wires including the one to the tongue jack. . No loose wires noted. Is the fuse inside the silver box? It’s dark here now, so I’ll have to start again tomorrow morning.
        I can’t thank everyone enough for their suggestions and kindness in responding.
        You had 12 volts at the tongue jack wire, but did you actually run the tongue jack? That would be a reasonable indicator of battery viability, and should confirm decent grounding of the battery (-) terminal to the frame.
        Ottertail, Minnesota
        2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
        2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

THANK YOU ALL! I took the battery to O’Reillys and they tested it. 2amps!!! New battery and all is well for today 😎
          2021 GD Imagine xls BHE
          2021 Ford Expedition Max

Comment

THANK YOU ALL! I took the battery to O’Reillys and they tested it. 2amps!!! New battery and all is well for today 😎
            Nice and simple fix. Sorry for all of the steps we made you go thru but I am sure that you learned a few things. The battery is the most important item in the RV so keep track of its health.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So you may be wondering why, when you checked for voltage, the battery "appeared" good to your meter. That's the difference between measuring a battery without a load and with a load.

To keep that new battery healthy you must regularly plug in your camper to a 120vAC power source so the device called "converter" will keep the battery fully charged. If you let the battery go too long between recharges you'll be buying another battery soon. :( And no, the trickle charge from your vehicle is not a substitute. If you have any questions or do not understand, please post a follow-up question as this is important to understand.

Finally, while it may mean little from me (a random stranger on the internet) thanks for volunteering to work with Samaritan's Purse.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you. I just purchased this camper, and am grateful for your help! And, it’s my great pleasure to serve. I’ll watch the Battery 101 when I return!
                2021 GD Imagine xls BHE
                2021 Ford Expedition Max

Comment

Working...
                X