Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 GD Imagine. Complete loss of power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 GD Imagine. Complete loss of power.

Hi all. New to this site. We installed a 30 amp plug at home. I didn't realize the ac was on when we plugged in. Now, the batteries are dead and won't charge. And I have no shore power. The unit is virtually dead. Please help

Originally posted by Bobn1369 View Post
    Hi all. New to this site. We installed a 30 amp plug at home. I didn't realize the ac was on when we plugged in. Now, the batteries are dead and won't charge. And I have no shore power. The unit is virtually dead. Please help
    Welcome to the forum, though it be under less-than-ideal circumstances.

Was the 30 amp plug checked to ensure power? Hopefully whoever wired that outlet knew it was for an RV and didn't wire it for 240V. (It's happened before...)

For more information, check out Mike Sokol's article on the topic: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...tlet-rvt-1024/

To further troubleshoot your unit, do you have a 30A to 15A adapter? If you do, plug in the camper to a standard household outlet.

Also, did you check the main breakers on the Power Distribution Panel?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I did plug it in to a 110v outlet, (lamp works). Still have nothing in the rig. Even the blue indicator light at the power cord is not illuminated. There has to be something that blew but I've checked all breakers and fuses. Is there some other safeguard that could have popped? 12v lights and all 110v appliances are completely dead

Comment

Did you trip the breaker in the house panel or where ever the 30 amp plug is wired?

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I did plug it in to a 110v outlet, (lamp works). Still have nothing in the rig. Even the blue indicator light at the power cord is not illuminated. There has to be something that blew but I've checked all breakers and fuses. Is there some other safeguard that could have popped? 12v lights and all 110v appliances are completely dead
          The external receptacle on the trailer is wired directly to the Power Distribution Panel. The blue LED may be or may not be an indication of a problem.

First thing I'd check is to ensure power is actually at the power cord. Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Bobn1369 -- what's odd is the 120vAC and 12vDC systems are separate. Perhaps tackle one issue at a time? How do you know the battery is "dead" other than the lights don't work in the trailer?

Comment

As mentioned earlier . . . do you know for sure that the new house receptacle was wired for 120V . . . or was it possibly wired for 240V? I am thinking that it may have been wired for 240V which would have damaged 120V devices and maybe taken out the converter which supplies 12V to the lights, etc.

if you are not comfortable working with 120/240 electricity . . . consult an electrician.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It is definitely wired as 110. I understand there are fuses at the power converter. Is it possible those blew? And if so, can someone tell me where the PC is located. It is a 2020 Imagine, 2670

Comment

Sorry. Meant 120v

Comment

It is definitely wired as 110. I understand there are fuses at the power converter. Is it possible those blew? And if so, can someone tell me where the PC is located. It is a 2020 Imagine, 2670
                    The fuses on the converter will only blow if the battery is hooked up backwards. What model Power Distribution Center is in your Imagine?

How are you certain the 30A plug is wired as 120V? Have you checked it yourself with a multimeter?

I suspect (could be wrong) that there's more to this situation that isn't being spelled out...simply plugging in your camper to a 30A outlet (that's "live") will not result in the symptoms being described. Please elaborate so we can help.

Comment

I will check with the multimeter in the am and update. Thank you as I am not sure what happened, I am desperate for answers

Comment

The power converter only affects the 12V system. The lights are all on the 12V system.

An immediate complete loss of power would require two failures at the same time. You need to verify that you have 120V at the trailer end of the cord and that your battery disconnect switch is in the on position.
                        Last edited by Jkwilson; 05-09-2022, 08:48 PM.
                        John & Kathy
                        2014 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I was watching a tech video of what happens when rv 30 amp is plugged into 240 amp dryer outlet. Seems that microwave and converter are usually victims. The converter internals are shot and no longer make DC. Without DC, the air conditioner or furnace won't work. Is/are the batteries good to provide any DC? A 240 jolt can knock out lots of stuff.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

If the unit is on a removable power chord, check that the cord is seated properly at the trailer. Been there done that. Except in my case, I lose 1/2 of the electrical as the unit is 50 amp.

You may also want to verify the TT-30R is getting power by flipping the breaker off then back on. Repeat this in the unit with the main. I have had several breakers over the years that would not fully trip (this however does not explain the light on the chord if it's the shore breaker).
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

1st of all, I want to thank you all for the valuable feedback I received from everyone on this site.
                              This morning I hooked up my truck and the 7 way cord to charge the batteries. They did charge.
                              I had an electrician come out tonight to make sure everything was wired correctly.
                              Rob, you were "dead-on". It was wired 240v. He rewired to 110v. I now have 120v to the coach.
                              It blew the fuse in the fridge (no big deal). The converter and microwave were casualties. They have been ordered.
                              It was a $500 lesson.
                              My thanks go out to all of you. I am very happy to have found this site.

Comment

Working...
                              X