Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Grand Design 21 BHE Fridge issues HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Grand Design 21 BHE Fridge issues HELP!!

Fridge is a Dometic 12 volt. When shore docked fridge light will come on when door is opened, but freezer and fridge will not cool properly. When unhooked from shore power and hooked to towing vehicle fridge and freezer work great. Load tested battery and it is good. This is a brand-new battery. What are we doing wrong or what might be issue?

RedRiver7 -- welcome to the forum.

Is the battery disconnect "on" (key stays in)? Shouldn't affect the refrigerator, but can't make assumptions on how something is wired. (Light on the frig shouldn't come on if this was the problem...but again, no assumptions!)

When you're on shore power, do all the interior lights work (when refrigerator doesn't seem to work).

Finally--and this is from left field as I'm not an expert on these refrigerators, try the reset procedure as outlined here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...or-not-cooling

Finally, as this was your first post, to learn how to get the most from your time here (like setting up your signature line) check out the welcome letter to new members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You could also check the power distribution panel to see if there is a 12 v fuse marked "refer" or "fridge", make sure that it is no blown if there is one.

There "should" be no difference in the circuit inside the RV that would allow power from the tow vehicle to the fridge or from shore power, which will go thru the converter to the fridge circuit.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Double check your battery connections. A loose or bad connection can cause numerous headaches.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

If the light is working when you open the door, it means that the refrigerator is getting 12 volts DC. The issue may be that you have a high resistance contact on either the +12V side of things or the ground wiring. A poor connection will allow enough current to flow to light the light bulb, but not enough to power the compressor. But when you plug into the tow vehicle, you are possibly using an alternate path to provide either +12VDC, or ground.

If I was trouble-shooting this, I'd start by checking all the ground connections near the battery. For example, mine was wired with all the common grounds tied into one wire nut. This could easily be where the problem lies. Here's photo of my grounds as set up from the factory:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grounds.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	92083
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
          X