Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy.

Hello all.
    So glad I found this place. I’m a newish camper with my first rig. I have a 2022 Imagine 2500RL that I’m towing with a 2018 GMC 2500 hd diesel. After several outings I’m pretty satisfied with my GD. But now I’m looking to venture out to where there is no hook ups. My trailer came with the 165 w panel, 25a charger and a 50ah(?) lead battery. I’ve been trying to learn all I can about solar and the electrical side of rv’s. Pretty steep learning curve. I’m sure I’m going to need lots and lots of advice and direction from those with experience in this field.
    Thanks for having me and if someone has an extra copy of RV Solar for Dummies I’d be interested in borrowing it.
    thanks
    john 😎
    John
    2022 Imagine 2500RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Diesel

Originally posted by johnt_501@yahoo.com View Post
    Hello all.
    So glad I found this place. I’m a newish camper with my first rig. I have a 2022 Imagine 2500RL that I’m towing with a 2018 GMC 2500 hd diesel. After several outings I’m pretty satisfied with my GD. But now I’m looking to venture out to where there is no hook ups. My trailer came with the 165 w panel, 25a charger and a 50ah(?) lead battery. I’ve been trying to learn all I can about solar and the electrical side of rv’s. Pretty steep learning curve. I’m sure I’m going to need lots and lots of advice and direction from those with experience in this field.
    Thanks for having me and if someone has an extra copy of RV Solar for Dummies I’d be interested in borrowing it.
    thanks
    john 😎
    Hi John. Welcome to the forum. Having a portable house is a game changer if you like exploring

There are a lot of smart solar people in this forum that have done many cool modifications to back up their knowledge.

If you're in the San Antonio/Austin Texas area I have a solar for dummies book for you
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Welcome. Lots of exploration to do out there.

There are lots of resources here, check out the Reference Material in the Solar channel.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

johnt_501@yahoo.com -- I echo the welcome from the others and also want to point out (as mentioned in the Welcome Letter to New Members) that using an email for your forum name is not a best practice. If you'd like it changed, inform any moderator and we can change it for you. (You can't change it at this point, but we can.)

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi John, and Welcome.

I'm a retired electrical engineer, and I've helped lots of people get up to speed so they can boondock for over a week without ever needing to fire up a generator or run into town. If you need guidance on solar, boondocking, RV electrical systems, etc., don't hesitate to ask.

My own home-brewed system is 800 watts of solar, 300 amp hours of lithium iron phosphate batteries, and an inverter to run some of the AC side of things. If you you can travel to Arizona in February, there is a Grand Design boondocking rally that about 200 rigs attend. Our goal is to help new boondockers get acquainted with the life style. We typically camp out there for 14 days without ever having to head into town or fire up a generator.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
          X