Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

product for mice protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• product for mice protection

going to storage and need some thing to protect fifth wheel from mice that might need a place to stay? What do I use? thanks ed

First plug any holes (slide drains) with stainless steel wool and look for other gaps and seal them up. Gaps for plumbing, electrical wires, etc. There is also a big hole above the spare tire. In the old days my dad used mothballs everywhere. If you have power available I understand the good sonic repellent units work. Decon is also a go to, but put outside the trailer, top of tires frame, etc.. Of note the gaps inside the trailer around plumbing (like under sink) can also be temporary filled, but need to be open for the belly heat to work. Steel wool would work well for that.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

Comment

Also the thru the frame slide mechanism has some holes around the slide extension parts , these are good places for critters to enter. I have used the black Gorilla tape to fix the area at the spare tire mentioned above and a few other small spaces. Mice can get into some pretty small holes. Clean the inside very well and leave nothing that could be a food source or smell of food.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS Oct.17 build date, EMS-HW50C , Lippert Remote
      2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Duramax , Reese Elite 18K

Comment

thanks I purchased some fresh cab botanical rodent repellent, and sprayed the exterior underside with home defense and checked for holes thru the underside. It has a light fabric covering most of the area. time will tell

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Tomcat Rodent Repellent, I 've used it for years when the camper is in storage. Never a mouse, or evidence of a mouse ever on the inside.

Comment

The best repellent I know of are two barn cats. Expensive, but well wort it for the purrrrrrrr factor.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel. Reese R20 Titan hitch, Steadyfast system, 2004 F350 King Ranch dually

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
              Tomcat Rodent Repellent, I 've used it for years when the camper is in storage. Never a mouse, or evidence of a mouse ever on the inside.
              Hi Tom,

Where do you apply this repellent spray? (First time we have "stored" our Reflection in six years )

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
              Aylmer, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Two other thoughts on this as we have stored our various RVs indoors for decades.

Ensure that there is not any food (like a bag of Cheetos ) or food crumbs where mice can be attracted to. Secondly, another item to consider is peppermint. Several folks over the years have shared using this. Even one of our local RV dealers used this. It is a liquid applied to cotton balls and placed in small containers in various locations. If you love peppermint.......you'll be in heaven !

By the way, we have used d-CON mouse bait pellets for years with success.........no critters ever. If your storage situation allows bait to placed in areas outside and around the RV (you do have not to worry about pets being attracted to it) that is a good option to consider as well. If you can do something to prevent them from going inside the RV, that makes good sense.

There are many good options out there to use. Cate&Rob Yoda Rob, Gracie most likely agrees with your post Keith, about cats effectiveness and the purrr factor !

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
                  going to storage and need some thing to protect fifth wheel from mice that might need a place to stay? What do I use? thanks ed
                  I'm fortunate to live in Arizona and store the trailer near some open desert. With our snake and gila monster population, we have very few mice.... But it's not a solution for most people.

Jim
                  The moderators for this site are not GDRV employees, but we do own GDRV products.

Jim and Ginnie
                  2017 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

Canyonlight

A mouse you say ? . . . I'll get right on that !

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	34048
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
                    Aylmer, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, I set several of the TomCat blocks around the wood planks that the tires are sitting on. I have a couple in the bsmt storage, and 1 under the bottom pantry drawer all the way in the back. 1 under each island shelf, and most of the corners of the camper rooms. I don't use the plastic traps that come with package. What I've read says mice stick to traveling along the walls. These are almost never eaten on. It has been years since I've seen evidence of mice on the interior. After every use when putting the camper away I lay down more blocks. These are always eaten up by the next trip.
                      Sorry to hear you're putting the camper away. If I didn't live here I wouldn't visit the USA due to Covid 19 second wave crashing around us.

Comment

We just had a little hitchhiker visit us while on the road. It seemed to ignore the two different poisons I have set up in the utility area of the basement in our 303RLS. It also seemed undeterred by the poison we offered it in our pantry. I set up a couple of tacky pads, which also went ignored until I put a small smear of peanut butter on the little center tab. The next morning I had clear evidence the mouse visited the tacky pad, but no mouse. It worked so hard to get free, possibly chewing it's foot off, that I found it, alive, attempting to hide under our footstool (with carpet underneath). It was moving very much, but still alive, so I scooped it up with paper towels, deposited it in a plastic bag and further deposited it in a dumpster. Hoping to avoid further hitchhikers.
                        Michael & Nyla
                        2016 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 RAM Laramie Diesel 2500

Comment

Several times I've had mice make a nest on top of my TV engine in the summer months while camping. Today auto manufacturers add chemicals to the wiring insulation to deter critters from chewing on the wires, so at least they will not leave one stranded.

Changing my cabin filter on my TV this past summer also revealed a mouse trying to make a nest on top of the filter but was unsuccessful in getting into the cabin. Have not had mice in the trailer where its inspected frequently through the winter.

Jim
                          2017 Imagine 2600RB
                          2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

Comment

Working...
                          X