Dinette cushion upgrade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinette cushion upgrade!

Ok, my daughter caught me in a moment of weakness. My wife and I made it exactly one night in our Imagine 2500RL before we ordered a new mattress. Same one we have at home, so it’s pretty deluxe for a camper! Well, poor Olivia finally figured out that she’s been sleeping on garbage…

Last trip out, I got up pretty early, kicked her out of her dinette/bed, and had her go crawl in the real bed while I made coffee and such. My mistake. “So, Dad, why am I seeping on foam pads that are so flimsy that I may as well just use the floor, while you and Mom are up there on a cloud?”

Dang it. She got me there!

I pulled the six cushions and headed to a local upholstery shop. Went through all the options they had for denser foam and picked one that I wouldn’t quite bottom out when laying on my side. $410 later, we have cushions that I sure hope are comfy!

Im sure they’ll be much nicer to sit on, as well as sleeping. As we all know, the OEM foam is junk.
    Chad, Heather, a kid or two, and Scout the Doodle dog

2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2018 Crew Max Tundra Platinum

I can’t leave things stock…

Success! They all fit right where they came from, and ‘Liv says waaaayyyyy better with her first flop test in the driveway. She’ll get more time on them, as will the rest of us for dinner, when we head up to Belknap hot springs in a few weeks.

2021 Imagine 2500RL

Comment

Oh man, I didn't even really think about getting the cushions changed out. Great idea! We don't use ours for a sleeper but we both sit there for work and sometimes for several hours, so we definitely have sore bottoms from cheap foam after we put in some work time. I'm going to have to look into doing something similar.
      David and Deana
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
      2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Chad D. View Post
        Ok, my daughter caught me in a moment of weakness. My wife and I made it exactly one night in our Imagine 2500RL before we ordered a new mattress. Same one we have at home, so it’s pretty deluxe for a camper! Well, poor Olivia finally figured out that she’s been sleeping on garbage…

Last trip out, I got up pretty early, kicked her out of her dinette/bed, and had her go crawl in the real bed while I made coffee and such. My mistake. “So, Dad, why am I seeping on foam pads that are so flimsy that I may as well just use the floor, while you and Mom are up there on a cloud?”

Dang it. She got me there!

I pulled the six cushions and headed to a local upholstery shop. Went through all the options they had for denser foam and picked one that I wouldn’t quite bottom out when laying on my side. $410 later, we have cushions that I sure hope are comfy!

Im sure they’ll be much nicer to sit on, as well as sleeping. As we all know, the OEM foam is junk.
        We have been wanting to do this for a long time where we really need to get moving to find someone. The company in Michigan that did this work for us on our home furniture is no longer available to us since we live in Ohio.

Mattress Insider will custom cut mattresses for bunks and supply standard mattresses as well. We have one in our Imagine and its very nice. But this post leaves me yearning for someone that can replace the foam in the dinette cushions. They are terrible.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/

I've been looking at online foam orders and may give it a try but I would rather have a shop that I could visit on site.

https://www.foamorder.com/custom-cushions/

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2023, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I just googled “upholstery shop lakeside, Ohio”.

have you called Custom Canvas & Upholstery?

The way this started for me was by taking one cushion (still assembled) into a local upholstery shop, B&H Upholstery in Eugene, OR. They unzipped, looked at what was in there, grabbed a handful of good sized samples for me to plop on, and quoted replacement foam in all 6 cushions. I skipped the ottoman since it’s not zippered in like the others and would be a decent amount of work. Liv doesn’t sleep on that piece, and we rarely sit on it.

Foam is sold by board foot, so it’s pretty easy for them to measure. I dropped them off the following Monday and picked ‘em up the next afternoon. They don’t charge anything to put the foam seats, so I let them install.

2021 Imagine 2500RL

Comment

Originally posted by Chad D. View Post
            I just googled “upholstery shop lakeside, Ohio”.

have you called Custom Canvas & Upholstery?

The way this started for me was by taking one cushion (still assembled) into a local upholstery shop, B&H Upholstery in Eugene, OR. They unzipped, looked at what was in there, grabbed a handful of good sized samples for me to plop on, and quoted replacement foam in all 6 cushions. I skipped the ottoman since it’s not zippered in like the others and would be a decent amount of work. Liv doesn’t sleep on that piece, and we rarely sit on it.

Foam is sold by board foot, so it’s pretty easy for them to measure. I dropped them off the following Monday and picked ‘em up the next afternoon. They don’t charge anything to put the foam seats, so I let them install.
            Chad,

Thank you so much in looking this up. Custom Canvas is very close to us. I have had some canvas work done by them and can ask if they would work on the cushions. But canvas shops here are way overloaded with marine canvas work where its really difficult to get in. They like to focus on the expensive canvas jobs. Its also hard to find anything in the mostly seasonal area where we live, so upholstery is not an option.

I called the shop in Michigan who has done work for us when we lived in the Milford area, where they told me I could wait. So I may just bring the RV cushions as well as some other cushions I would like better foam installed and have it all done. After the holidays, time slows down so a road trip with the DW would be nice.

For those in Michigan the shop is:

https://foamforyou.com/sofa-replacement

You can also mail them the cover and they will ship the completed cushion back to you but shipping costs could be an issue.

Jim

Comment

Chad D. Chad,

Thank you in getting me moving on this one. Every time we camp we have a discussion in how bad these cushions are to sit on. We traveled to Clawson Michigan to have them re-stuffed and waited for them to be completed. A breakfast at iHop and a movie and we were ready to travel back to Ohio. "Foam n More" confirmed the cushions had the cheapest foam available in them. They look great but the price tag like yours was steep.

Jim

Attached Files

Comment

Guest Chad D. Jim, Chad - do you happen to know the specs on the foam? Firm? ILD number? Thanks.
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
                  Guest Chad D. Jim, Chad - do you happen to know the specs on the foam? Firm? ILD number? Thanks.
                  We went with LUX where they also installed a Dacron wrap. To give you an idea in how they perform, I'm 190 lbs where the new cushions compress but do not flatten like the originals. Foam thickness is 4" except for the fore and aft back cushions that were thinner so they took 3" foam. These two cushions were stuffed with what they call Poly which is softer than the seating cushions and the window cushions used for making up a bed.

We also didn't last more than a couple trips with the original mattress and purchased a mattress from "Mattress Insider" back in 2017 on the advice of another forum member. We have no regrets on this purchase as well.

Jim

Comment

I want to add that the DW and I tested the samples they provided. So we had the same experience as Chad and picked what felt right for us. I mentioned to them that I wanted a comfortable cushion that would compress, not bottom and would spring back into shape when not in use. Same for our couch and two chairs in the house. Those took HD36.

Thanks to Chad who re-invigorated our interest in getting this done.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X