Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

337RLS Skylight, Roof Leak and Other Failures. Poor Build Quality and Quality Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 337RLS Skylight, Roof Leak and Other Failures. Poor Build Quality and Quality Control

Just wanted to share with everyone the terrible quality coming out of the grand design factory these days. We have a few months old 2023 337RLS.

1) First issue was that the factory failed to seal / caulk around the entire shower door frame. First weekend out we had water leaking onto the bathroom floor. Had to loosen the sliding door framing, dry it out and properly caulk everything.

2) Driving home the RV had zero trailer brakes. Jacked it up and made manual adjustments and was able to get the brakes tightened and then did some bedding runs to get them conditioned and corrected that problem. They may have eventually tightened up, but too unsafe to wait. Easy fix.

3) No Caulking around the water catching tray below Nautilus control panel. Any water drippings during setup and break down would leak around it. Simple fix.

4) Roof leak over dining slide. Water was flooding in down the wall and pooling under dining table. The geniuses at the factor didn't clean the roof before applying the sealant tape around the edges. They taped right over a bunch of debris and a big beetle. Water flowed right thru the opening and down the wall. Should have been obvious to the installer but also indicates they are doing no water testing at the factory. Fairly easy repair as well, but frustrating.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SlideLeak2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	104499Click image for larger version  Name:	SlideLeak1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	104501 Click image for larger version  Name:	SlideLeakRepair.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	104502

5) ​Skylight over shower was completely failed. Busted and cracked at every screw hole and all corners. Every screw was a counter sink drywall screw! Water flooding into the shower. Replaced with Icon skylight using proper stainless flat head screws.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SkylightFailure2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	104503 Click image for larger version  Name:	SkylightFailure1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	104504 Click image for larger version  Name:	IconSkylight.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	104505

6) Several electrical wires going to the battery were not properly crimped and pulled loose.

7) Trifold sofa was screwed in without any leveling consideration. First night we folded it out it was significantly slowed towards the back of the RV making for a horrible night for the occupant of that bed. Had to pull it apart and level it properly and reset all the screws.

8) Pantry door settled after the first couple of trips to the point it would no longer latch. Had to reposition the door. Easy fix.

9) Screws were protruding from wall in bedroom. Had to dremel them down flat.

10) Crown stables stucking up around edges of carpeting at the transition to the hallway. Simple fix with a hammer.

11) Improperly sealed slam latch door seals on both sides of passthru. Water was leaking into the pass thru during heavy rains. Another simple fix. Just had to adjust seals and doors.

12) Loads of little dings and dents in wood trim. Just used brown markers to touch them up.

13) Not a lot we can do about this one but we have visible gaps in the roof underlayment between panels. You can see and feel the air gaps thru the roof membrane. We've had an inspector out who indicated he's seen this often and it shouldn't be an issue but it's definitely not optimal.

14) Squeaks and loud Pops coming from shower. Dealer I purchased it from diagnosed and said it was normal and nothing they could do.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/LcDsp2bricJU5L4V6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/o793QmqhviMAAzZN8

Other than the shower door, slide roof leak and the skylight, none of these were terrible issues. But the water leaks were egregious and grand design should be ashamed.

We purchased this rig after having 100% previous success with a 2600RB travel trailer. After the experience we've had here, we will definitely have second thoughts about another Grand Design.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rototerrier; 05-31-2023, 06:14 PM.

I had # 6, 8 and 10 myself, but no leaks.

The whole underneath was covered in road salt also.

Will have to de-rust there in the spring.

Tired of it too.
    USN Engineer Retired
    2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
    2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Number 1 has been a problem for years. My 2019 came from the factory with the same issue. I just don't get how they haven't figured it out yet??
      2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
      2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by BC315RLTS View Post
        Number 1 has been a problem for years. My 2019 came from the factory with the same issue. I just don't get how they haven't figured it out yet??
        When we got our 337 in August of 2020 we did our usual test run in the driveway and found the same issue with the shower. I mentioned it on this forum and at some point a GD representative chimed in that they would pass along the comments to production. Since then I have seen several threads on here talking about the same issue. Thats just straight up unacceptable. This shower door is used in many different brands so there are literally thousands upon thousands of them in the market.
        I removed ours this winter and am replacing it with an easier to clean shower curtain and curved shower rod. The hardest part of the removal was cleaning the caulk that I had used to seal the unit, the GD caulk was almost non existent. That entire door frame should be bedded in caulk and then edge caulked on the INSIDE. Instead I found a narrow strip of some sort of foam tape that was too thin to even do anything. I dont recall if I removed and caulked the screws on the lower rail but I dont think I did because the one in the middle had witness marks that it had leaked over quite some time.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

rototerrier

I have sent you a PM, please check your Message box.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

pm replied to. Thanks

Comment

Unfortunate string of sub-optimal installation practices there. Good thing you're a handy guy. A person that needs to rely on a service shop could have been waiting a long time to get their trailer back.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Received a response from GD after sending them photos of the skylight situation. In their defense, they did send me a replacement skylight but it went straight into the trash. No way was I going to go thru the crazy amount of effort to get the old one off and put a new one on and use that cheap thing. That's how the Icon skylight came into the picture. It took me about 3 hours to get the skylight replaced and 2.5 of that was me on my belly cutting the old rubber seal off, painstakingly. It wouldn't melt or peel so I used a sharp razor and slowly peeled it off smooth with the surface of the roof membrane.

Anyway, here it is.

Good morning, thank you for reaching out to Grand Design customer service. I am sorry that you are having issues with your unit. After reviewing the pictures you provided, it would appear that this didn't happen due to the wood screws that were used, it's more due to the tool that this is installed with, sometimes too much pressure can be used and then the screws get overtightened, resulting in the skylight cracking. I do see where we sent another skylight, I am sorry that it is not up to your standards, but these are the skylights that are installed in your unit. I also see on the invoice, there was an inspection done and no soft or wet spots were found. I hope that replacing the skylight resolves your issues. If not please keep in mind that you have a 1 year warranty on your unit, unfortunately it doesn't cover the skylight you purchased yourself or the lap sealant after the first 180 days of being retail owned, because then it becomes part of routine maintenance to inspect and seal as needed. Thank you.
                Nothing surprising here except for the wood screw comment. I suppose you could get the torque just right and the wood screws would be fine. But, being tapered, they naturally will want to put pressure on the holes. Why in the world would you use counter sink screws on something now meant for it? That's just asking for trouble.

I'm not really sure what to think about this response but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Unfortunate string of sub-optimal installation practices there. Good thing you're a handy guy. A person that needs to rely on a service shop could have been waiting a long time to get their trailer back.
                  Yes, being handy is a must. There's not much on one of these things I can't repair, I just wish I didn't have to.

Funny thing is a friend of mine asked me if I was ready to get rid of it and I couldn't help but laugh. With everything fixed, I'd be crazy to do that. I'd just be starting all over again. Better the devil you know at this point.

We went to the Atlanta RV show last weekend and I didn't see anything to prove to me anything else within this price/class/bracket would be any better. Every rig there was riddled with quality issues. It was terrible.

Comment

rototerrier
                    I can completely relate. In 2005 we bought a Titanium 25E30DS. In the first year we had plumbing leaks, shower leaks, appliance failure, slide scraping the hardwood floor, plastic bumper cover cracks, and I probably forgot a few. Oh ya, Nev'r'Lube bearing removal which required changing the axles.
                    After that though, it was trouble free for the next decade.
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Our first TT was great. Very few issues. 5 years later and our first 5er, completely different. Axle failure, AC failure (happened on the TT also), crack in side wall, basement door struts installed wrong and torquing the door when it opened, stairs that did not reach the ground, plumbing issues (hot water pressure rise part of problem), slide motor that ate relays until I took it apart and polished the armature (dealer used as show rig running slides in and out off of the 7 way ), tire failure on second outing, and the big kicker - Roof started sagging around the rear AC. That's when she had to go, cut my losses and start over. Let's not forget since the axle failure was on maiden voyage we were "trailer shy" every time it was hooked to the truck.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by rototerrier View Post

Yes, being handy is a must. There's not much on one of these things I can't repair, I just wish I didn't have to.

Funny thing is a friend of mine asked me if I was ready to get rid of it and I couldn't help but laugh. With everything fixed, I'd be crazy to do that. I'd just be starting all over again. Better the devil you know at this point.

We went to the Atlanta RV show last weekend and I didn't see anything to prove to me anything else within this price/class/bracket would be any better. Every rig there was riddled with quality issues. It was terrible.

Just a thought: every time I read a post such as this, and they are consistently on every RV forum not just Grand Design, I wonder how long an automobile manufacturer would be able to stay in business if the consumer had to repair the shoddy workmanship and parts after the automobile was delivered. We know the answer!

I've owned two vehicles purchased over the past ten years that cost about the same as my 5th wheel. Absolutely zero issues with either!
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lonestar

There was a time when almost all cars sold in NA were built in Michigan . . . and quality was abysmal. It took competition from offshore with significantly better quality products to cause the NA manufacturers to improve quality in order to compete. Now, take the NA RV industry with almost all products built in Indiana (sounds like the Michigan auto industry 50 years ago ??) with similar production methods and quality. It is going to take a manufacturer with better quality and a competitive price to drag the RV industry out of the 1970s.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

What frustrates me a bit is talking about the same failure modes and it takes years before anything is done. Sometimes never. Like broken spring hangers, flat springs tires that shed their tread, trim falling off, stripped screws, bent axles and PEX clamps on rubber hose.

Its time to slow down before the reputation takes a hit. As in Robs example, the Detroit auto makers while just as good or better today, still suffer from perceived quality issues.

Jim

Comment

Had to go into the basement this morning to fix another issue and found the black tank flush line was loose and leaking behind the panel and also a busted outlet.

Just more shoddy quality control.

Someone needs to take the screwdriver away from the 1000lb gorilla. He’s over tightening everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	104968 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	104969
                              Last edited by rototerrier; 02-05-2023, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X