Missing screws behind sofa 295RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing screws behind sofa 295RL

Behind the rear sofa I have screws that have come out of the lower metal rail .Can I remove the sofa and put them back or should take into te dealer to repair. Thanks Bob
    Attached Files

Bobsrv
    I had the exact same thing happen to my 315RLTS. The couch comes out easily enough (open it up and you'll see it secured to the floor).

Since the screws backed out by themselves somehow, I dipped toothpicks in Gorilla Glue (original) and shoved as many as I could fit into the hole. I then let the glue expand (that's what the original does) and let it dry for 24 hours. The next day the toothpicks were cut flush to the trim and the screws were put back in.

No power tools were used to install the screws, as with almost everything on our campers there's a snugness that can be felt with a manual screwdriver (or robertson driver) that tells you it's "just right tight".

I am curious if anyone has a theory as to why those particular screws come out. Every single one of mine were missing. (!)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you put the screws back into the same holes, they will likely come out again. It is a good bet that the holes were stripped when the screws were originally installed with a power driver. I would suggest that new holes, larger than the screw diameter be drilled through just the metal bracket and smaller pilot holes drilled in the wood/aluminum underneath so that a new screw gets a good grip. This is not an unreasonable task for an owner (once the sofa is moved temporarily out of the way). Not something that I would haul it back to the dealer for . . . he is likely to just put the screws back into the old holes anyway.

Tasks like this are a common part of "RV ownership" . . .

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion I’ll get it pulled later today and give that a try. Thanks

Comment

Every single one of the upper screws were pulled out in my fulltime 303rls. I put bigger screws back and hand snuggled them, but I think they are only going into an aluminum frame tube behind the wall, so will wallow out the holes and pull out again due to flexing driving down the road. We'll see.
          Mark & Kim Donnell
          Donnells On The Road!
          Fulltime since May 2021, somewhere in America, with our cats Iris & Rose.
          '21 303RLS + '20 Chevy 2500HD diesel.
          Our long RV Mods list (ask!) -
          https://tinyurl.com/MyRvMods

Comment

Originally posted by Madonnell View Post
            Every single one of the upper screws were pulled out in my fulltime 303rls. I put bigger screws back and hand snuggled them, but I think they are only going into an aluminum frame tube behind the wall, so will wallow out the holes and pull out again due to flexing driving down the road. We'll see.
            Makes me wonder why GD didn't "stuff" those aluminum tubes with wood (a standard practice in other areas) at the top and bottom of the back wall since they are used as an attachment point.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

The screws have all fallen out from the back wall behind the couch in our 2021 337rls. The holes in the angle strip don’t line up with the holes in the back wall anymore which is concerning. I put screws into the back wall in new locations and they are all out again. Is this strip there just for aesthetics?

The screws also fell out in the 2016 27rl we previously owned.

Comment

I finally got to replacing screws in back wall . I used Howard’s suggestion of using original gorilla glue and tooth picks. I could fit 3 in each hole.not very much resistant pushing them in felt like going in foam insulation. They did tighten up and pull plate and back wall together. I’ll see how they hold up after next trip Memoral weekend.

thanks for all the help
                Bon

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsrv View Post
                  I finally got to replacing screws in back wall . I used Howard’s suggestion of using original gorilla glue and tooth picks. I could fit 3 in each hole.not very much resistant pushing them in felt like going in foam insulation. They did tighten up and pull plate and back wall together. I’ll see how they hold up after next trip Memoral weekend.

thanks for all the help
                  Bon
                  I got two different answers from two trusted sources at GD last week on this issue. One source said the elbow is nothing more than trim to hide the crack where the wall and floor meet. The other said it was to assist structural integrity.

When the moderators walked the AIM assembly line I looked to specifically understand how the rear wall was attached. Underneath the trim visible on the corner (and also under the mylar tape that seals the joint) there are screws that hold the back and side walls together. See pic below.

My .02 is that that the "L" is more trim than structural. The screws work themselves out due to the movement of the rear wall in relation to the floor. But in no case is there any imminent separation of the rear wall from the trailer due to these screws coming out.

All that said I'd still reinstall them with the method outlined above (until I learn of a better process).

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	wall screws.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	111831

Comment

To add to Howard's post above.

The angle is as described and does "hold" the wall somewhat. The key to this installation is to allow wall movement while traveling. If this was made so that there was no movement then more than likely both walls and the rear wall would suffer damage from "forced" movement when the "box" is twisting while traveling.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I just discovered the same problem on our 2019 337RLS. All screws are missing. I will take Howard’s as I e and fill in the holes with glue and toothpicks. Howard’s picture from the GD assembly line reassures my worries for potential pro down the road. Thanks for the great posting Howard!

Maybe we’ll see you at the National Rally?
                      Rick & B
                      2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
                      2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

Originally posted by Hawgwild View Post
                        Maybe we’ll see you at the National Rally?
                        I hope so!

Did you see Country Campers post about a Forum Meet & Greet? Tuesday night at our campers (Area A).

If you check out the seminar schedule you'll also see all five of the moderators are doing various technical presentations throughout the rally. Look for Rob Farrow, Jim Hinkle, Brian Cravener, Neil Citro and me (Howard Wilson) as the presenter.

Comment

Sounds great. I’ll check it out! I’ve met Jim several times at all of the west coast rallies. Safe travels…
                          Rick & B
                          2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
                          2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

Regarding the screws that backed out on many of our rigs, the SRT techs at the National Rally mentioned that they use rivets to fix this issue. The rivets expand therefore won’t back out like a small screw. They gave me a handful so I make make the repair when I get time.
                            Rick & B
                            2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4

Comment

Working...
                            X