5th wheel front storage security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th wheel front storage security

Hi all, like many of you I have a substantial investment in lithium batteries, Victron components etc. in my front storage bay. I would like to add a better locking system for added security. Has anyone beefed up this area? Thanks in advance!
    Rick & B
    2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
    2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

I have thought about making some type of removable prison type bars to put inside the front storage door. Have a lock or 2 to remove to get the bars out. Make the bar spacing small enough that you can not fit anything good I keep in there out. But it just seems that I have not done anything with it, just an idea. I have indoor storage at home so I really do not need it. Storage away from home I would be making some kind of provisions.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I've thought of all sorts of additional locking and reinforcement, but in the end that is a thin flexible door - won't take much to pop or tear it out. I've even thought about reinforcing the door.

I did swap from 1 lock in the middle and 2 handles on the outside the 2 locks and 1 handle.

I also installed my batteries & inverter in the main passthru utility space (under the bedroom steps). The front bay has mostly parts & supplies.
      Mark & Kim Donnell
      Donnells On The Road!
      Fulltime since May 2021, somewhere in America, with our cats Iris & Rose.
      '21 303RLS + '20 Chevy 2500HD diesel.
      Our long RV Mods list (ask!) -
      https://tinyurl.com/MyRvMods

Comment

Yes, I agree, it is a flimsy door, I just want to make it a little more difficult to get into. I also added 2 locks but those are flimsy as well. Once I come up with something I’ll post it.
        Rick & B
        2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
        2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

Best I've come up with (but haven't done) would be to replace the center handle with one like they used to use on truck bed shells - with the t-handle and 2 lock bars which extend laterally to lock the cover. Would be pretty easy to adapt for this, perhaps with a steel strip behind it to reinforce the door a bit.
          Mark & Kim Donnell
          Donnells On The Road!
          Fulltime since May 2021, somewhere in America, with our cats Iris & Rose.
          '21 303RLS + '20 Chevy 2500HD diesel.
          Our long RV Mods list (ask!) -
          https://tinyurl.com/MyRvMods

Comment

Madonnell I thought about the same however all the work to make it more secure by adding to it makes it more complicated when I want access, in the end I purchased another blink security camera and have it hidden in the pin box, it won’t stop them from stealing but I’ll have them on video doing it. I have a total of 5 exterior blink cameras and 2 interior. All exterior cameras are removed during travel. This system does require internet to operate and get motion alerts but we have unlimited data through the T-Mobile home internet.
            Scott & Mikaela
            2022 375 RES
            2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

I looked into this a while back and gave up. I think there was a post somewhere over on IRV2 when a person custom built a steel frame and diamond plate door using the T handle lock set from a camper shell rear door. I also looked into stronger slam latches, but the frame would give. Also even with a reinforced door the skin to either side is so flimsy it could be easily ripped away.

I have never had any issues in camp grounds, but who knows now a days. If I was at a storage lot I would be removing the batterys before storage. I'm lucky I can store at home in a safe neighborhood.

The last thing I was looking into was a settable DC sonic alarm system that could be set to trigger if power or a part was removed - physical / mechanical trigger. Never could find anything like that.
              Even looked into exploding dye packs, but with my luck I would forget and set it off

Its all covered by insurance should something big happen.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                I looked into this a while back and gave up. I think there was a post somewhere over on IRV2 when a person custom built a steel frame and diamond plate door using the T handle lock set from a camper shell rear door. I also looked into stronger slam latches, but the frame would give. Also even with a reinforced door the skin to either side is so flimsy it could be easily ripped away.

I have never had any issues in camp grounds, but who knows now a days. If I was at a storage lot I would be removing the batterys before storage. I'm lucky I can store at home in a safe neighborhood.

The last thing I was looking into was a settable DC sonic alarm system that could be set to trigger if power or a part was removed - physical / mechanical trigger. Never could find anything like that.
                Even looked into exploding dye packs, but with my luck I would forget and set it off

Its all covered by insurance should something big happen.

Keith
                something like this? https://www.amazon.com/REMFLY-Perime...BoCHLgQAvD_BwE
                or
                https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark...671773487&th=1 with the battery sitting on top of the switch.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                X