Permanent fix for peeling countertop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent fix for peeling countertop

Having a problem with the countertop peeling loose around the sink? Here’s my permanent fix. I cut a plastic screen mold sold at Lowes in half down the center. Rounded the ends of the pieces to fit the curve, drilled and countersunk holes for brass #4 wood screws. Cleaned off all the old silicon caulk using a special removing spray also from Lowes. Applied new caulk which now does not show and cannot peel or fail since it’s all behind and under the molding. A major bonus is the rack still works as it sits inside the sink opening on top of the molding. In fact, now it’s almost level with the countertop.
    2022 3100RD
    2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
    Over 55 years TT towing

Rabbit -- thanks for documenting! Added the modification tag to your post.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
      Having a problem with the countertop peeling loose around the sink? Here’s my permanent fix. I cut a plastic screen mold sold at Lowes in half down the center. Rounded the ends of the pieces to fit the curve, drilled and countersunk holes for brass #4 wood screws. Cleaned off all the old silicon caulk using a special removing spray also from Lowes. Applied new caulk which now does not show and cannot peel or fail since it’s all behind and under the molding. A major bonus is the rack still works as it sits inside the sink opening on top of the molding. In fact, now it’s almost level with the countertop.
      Nice job! I'm going the drop in sink route.
      Mike and (RIP Karen)
      2021 2600RB
      2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

Nice job! I'm going the drop in sink route.
        We really wanted to preserve the capability to use the flexible grate over the sink, which we use all the time. That, and not wishing to tear into the plumbing or cabinet structure, were my motivation to come up with this solution.
        2022 3100RD
        2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
        Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Working...
        X