Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mattress is too heavy for the gas struts on the storage door

Hi all!

I have recently replaced my stock GDRV mattress with one from RV Mattress.
    I am very happy with the new mattress!

But, now I have to keep my knee under the door for the storage under the bed.
    I have a feeling that other people have solved this problem.
    My question is what is a recommended replacement gas strut?
    Looking for quality and longevity over a good price.

Many thanks in advance,
    Nolan
    2022 RAM 3500HD DRW, '22 Momentum 397TH-R

2X4 with desired length. Works for us and, cheap and manageable.
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

I purchased this mattress (queen size) from Amazon for my Reflection.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G1SLTN/

I don't know the weight, but it was significantly heavier than the original mattress.

I changed the struts which lift the mattress to these 20" 100 lbs struts
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGNQCCJ/

Since each strut can lift 100lbs, I figured that they would be more than adequate to lift the mattress with some assistance and hold it up. In reality, not a chance. It still takes a significant effort to lift the mattress to get to the under-bed storage. I now use an old curtain rod (like a broom stick) to hold up the bed (and have kept the 100 lb struts installed). I cut a 2X4 to about 6 inches long and cut a notch out of it to keep the support (curtain rod) from sliding up when it's holding the bed.

If I was to do it again, I'd get two 150 lbs struts. Don't know if the original mounts would rip out with something that strong. For now, the broom stick/curtain rod works adequately.
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

We put a very heavy residential mattress and the struts don't hold it. Our solution is that we don't store anything under the bed that needs to be accessed often and when we need it, I lift the mattress up while she gets the items in/out of storage. I get that's not ideal for most but it works for us, for now anyway.
        David and Deana
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
        2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

There is no one answer to this question. It depends on the geometry of the strut installation and the weight of the mattress. Struts come in different strengths from 80 to 150 lb force. To get our bed to lift easily, I have two struts on each side. If you go with the stronger struts, you may have to reinforce the attachment points. Ask me how I know this .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have seen an installation where the owner moved the base of the struts to the aft end of the bed to give them more leverage. I can’t find this thread at the moment . . . but, as I recall this allowed the original struts to hold up a heavier mattress.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

NJP397THR2022 I used these struts https://a.co/d/gRCFTbK they were the same size as what came on my bed but twice the lifting force. In anticipation of a lot more force i did use a 1x4 on the plywood under the brackets and bought longer bolts for that portion as well. I also added heavier door style hinges (Home Depot) and another length of 1x4 for the screws to attach to under the plywood. So far it works great and the bed is easy to lift and stays in place.
              Scott & Mikaela
              2022 375 RES
              2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                There is no one answer to this question. It depends on the geometry of the strut installation and the weight of the mattress. Struts come in different strengths from 80 to 150 lb force. To get our bed to lift easily, I have two struts on each side. If you go with the stronger struts, you may have to reinforce the attachment points. Ask me how I know this .

Rob
                Do you have any pictures of your setup? I have a few laying around but they're about 2" longer than factory.
                Jordan and Lynnette. Arrow and Oakley
                2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2019 Ram 1500 Warlock 3.6

Comment

JALO29

The “evolution" of the bed support struts . . . I think the original platform came with 40 lb struts. When we added a topper, I got 80 lb struts which were still not quite enough, so I got 120 lb struts, which worked. Then we upgraded to a foam mattress, so I added the 80 lb struts to the 120 lb struts (4 in total). I did have to reinforce the lower attachment which was originally just to the 1/4" wall of the box . . . not nearly strong enough. I "scrounged" the silver coloured strut brackets at an RV surplus place . . . couldn't tell you exactly where they came from.

BTW, I also replaced the bed platform with one that fit the queen mattress out closer to it's edges (be careful of clearance to the retracted closet slide . . . ask me how I know this ) and put a sheet of formica on the underside.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2860.jpg Views:	31 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	111066
                  Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-27-2023, 06:59 PM.
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                    I purchased this mattress (queen size) from Amazon for my Reflection.
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G1SLTN/

I don't know the weight, but it was significantly heavier than the original mattress.

I changed the struts which lift the mattress to these 20" 100 lbs struts
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGNQCCJ/

Since each strut can lift 100lbs, I figured that they would be more than adequate to lift the mattress with some assistance and hold it up. In reality, not a chance. It still takes a significant effort to lift the mattress to get to the under-bed storage. I now use an old curtain rod (like a broom stick) to hold up the bed (and have kept the 100 lb struts installed). I cut a 2X4 to about 6 inches long and cut a notch out of it to keep the support (curtain rod) from sliding up when it's holding the bed.

If I was to do it again, I'd get two 150 lbs struts. Don't know if the original mounts would rip out with something that strong. For now, the broom stick/curtain rod works adequately.
                    Hi, Do you have a photo of your curtain rod / notched 2x4 solution? I experience the same problem and see this as a very viable solution for this semi-capable handywoman... thanks,
                    Cindy
                    2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
                    2022 Solitude 3330RE
                    Cindy & Xena

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      I have seen an installation where the owner moved the base of the struts to the aft end of the bed to give them more leverage. I can’t find this thread at the moment . . . but, as I recall this allowed the original struts to hold up a heavier mattress.

Rob
                      When we replaced our mattress I relocated both the top and bottom strut mounts 2" toward the door of the bed. This does limit the opening height of the bed base but the new mattress was several inches thicker so the opening height was not affected overall.
                      John & Cindy
                      2019 303 RLS
                      2018 F250

Comment

Cate&Rob

Thank you very much for the picture. Similar to what I was thinking. Glad you made it work so well and I'll post a few pictures when I get ours done over the next couple of weeks.
                        Jordan and Lynnette. Arrow and Oakley
                        2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        2019 Ram 1500 Warlock 3.6

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy View Post

Hi, Do you have a photo of your curtain rod / notched 2x4 solution? I experience the same problem and see this as a very viable solution for this semi-capable handywoman... thanks,
                          Cindy
                          Sorry for the delay. Here are the pictures. I used 3 or 4 drywall type screws from the plywood surface down into the 2X4. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9534.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	111974 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9535.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	111975
                          Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                          2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                          2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

I do a lot of builds that require gas springs and have never had a bad experience ordering from gasspringsshop <dot> com.
                            You can use their online design tools and get exactly what you need.
                            2021 Reflection 278BH
                            2002 GMC 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                            X