Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Glass Exploded

All,
    Not sure if this belongs in interior or plumbing, but regardless, my 2022 28BH is parked in my driveway and I went out yesterday to get something out of the bathroom and found this. One of the glass doors of the shower literally exploded. Glass everywhere, even in the sink, and in the shelves across from the shower.. Just happened sitting still. Has anyone seen this before? Would this be covered by warranty? Looks like replacing the panel is a very easy job, I just need a new panel.

Not a good start to the camping season.

Thanks
    Al

Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
    RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
    PullRite SuperGlide

It must have been somehow stressed and that caused the explosion.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
      All,
      Not sure if this belongs in interior or plumbing, but regardless, my 2022 28BH is parked in my driveway and I went out yesterday to get something out of the bathroom and found this. One of the glass doors of the shower literally exploded. Glass everywhere, even in the sink, and in the shelves across from the shower.. Just happened sitting still. Has anyone seen this before? Would this be covered by warranty? Looks like replacing the panel is a very easy job, I just need a new panel.

Not a good start to the camping season.

Thanks
      Al
      Wow, not good. Give Customer Service a call -- and beyond just getting (hopefully) a replacement see if they'll explain why this happened (and share it with us!).

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
        All,
        Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks
        Al
        Al - to address this question, I do recall seeing a few posts over the years on this happening to both the radius and straight glass RV shower doors. I do not recall any definitive answers shared or learned as to why occurring. When we built our new home years ago, we had our lower level walk out door glass explode. Again, not sure why but these types of things do rarely happen.

Hope GDRV takes care of sending a replacement at no charge.

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

We will see what Customer Service has to say. I talked to them already and emailed them the pictures, so will wait to see how they want to handle this. Not rue if this is a covered part or not. Regardless one way or the other, I will need a new glass panel. Hopefully theu will just send me one that I can replace without having to go theru the dealer.

I will let all know how this turns out.

thanks
          Al
          Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Al,

We removed our doors and replaced them with a radius shower curtain. I can get you a link later if you are interested. We like the open space it provides when the curtain is back against the wall.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian,
              Good point, and we may have to go that route in the short term if its going to take months to get a replacement, or they make me go to the dealer to get a replacement installed. When you het a chance would love to know what you used.

Thanks
              Al
              Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

This is what I had ordered Amazon.com: YOLOPLUS+ Curved Shower Rod Aluminum Alloy Wall Mount Corner Bathroom Shower Curtain Rod Covers Wall Area of 35 to 35 Inches, Arc Radius 16 Inches Splay Not Ellipse : Home & Kitchen​ but mine is actually chrome. I had to trim the ends a little maybe 4" but I can not remember. At the ends of the shower the walls seemed to be solid like there was a "stud" there so from the pictures you can see where I installed the mounts. I did not use the fancy covers for the mounts as they would not snap on, no big deal though. I also left all of the door hardware in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shower 1.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	111844
                Click image for larger version

Name:	shower 2.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	111845

I had some foam tube laying around to cover the door bracket, ugly but works.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi brian,

Nice job. Now did you do this because you did not like the glass and just thought this was a better solution? I like the job, very functional looking. At least you dont have to worry about shattering glass..

thanks
                  Al
                  Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Al,

This was done for 2 reasons. 1 I am 6'4" tall and ducking down under the top door bar and getting in to the shower was a pain, not to mention the narrow door opening and one door always seem to close on its own. The other reason was for "extra" space in the bathroom. Again with my height comes a large wing span so when the curtain is against the wall we have a larger area. Another reason to add is the shower doors are hard to clean, the tracks especially. This we learned in our house early on and removed those doors as well. Plus cleaning is easy and just toss the curtain into the laundry when needed.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Follow up:

GD has agreed to send me a replacement glass panel under warranty. Only catch was they wanted a commercial address that receives motor freight, so I assume that the glass may show up on a pallet?? Surprised that they do not ship UPS, but as long as it shows up in one piece, I am happy. I have no idea when I will actually get it, but sure we can rig up a shower curtain while we wait. Could not get any real info from them one way or the other if this was a regular warranty issue, or a rare occurrence. we are heading out the end of June so hope to have by then.

Al
                      Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

The rest of the story.

well true to their word, GD sent me what I needed, but rather than one piece, i got a complete shower. Appears that you cannot replace just one piece (that would be to easy), you have to replace the whole thing. Took a month to get, but showed up in a BIG crate. I am now an "expert" in removing and installing RV showers. Not particularly a fun job, but now I know that its put together well and sealed much better than from the factory. I actually like the replacement better as the glass is frosted rather than clear glass panels. Not sure what I am going to do with 3/4 of an RV shower that I removed, but will put with the ever expanding pile of parts that I have removed and replaced over the last year. Hopefully we will get the chance to try it out soon.
                        Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Hopefully you never need it for parts. There may be the off chance that you can "pay it forward" if someone should need a piece of glass in the future.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi all,
                            I have had the shower glass explode for the third time now. Each one being a different piece. Each time the RV never moved, it was just sitting. We have a ‘22 28bh. The first one was the curved glass. Grand design sent me a new one. The second time it was one of the flat glass pieces. Since we were off warranty, I just had a local glass shop fab us one. Yesterday I went into the camper just to check on it, and found the other flat piece shattered. Haven’t fixed that yet. We only have one original piece left (it’s a curved one).
                            I’m thinking GD had a bad batch of glass. I probably should order the last piece so I’m ready…. Any one else experiencing this?

Comment

Originally posted by muk View Post
                              Hi all,
                              I have had the shower glass explode for the third time now. Each one being a different piece. Each time the RV never moved, it was just sitting. We have a ‘22 28bh. The first one was the curved glass. Grand design sent me a new one. The second time it was one of the flat glass pieces. Since we were off warranty, I just had a local glass shop fab us one. Yesterday I went into the camper just to check on it, and found the other flat piece shattered. Haven’t fixed that yet. We only have one original piece left (it’s a curved one).
                              I’m thinking GD had a bad batch of glass. I probably should order the last piece so I’m ready…. Any one else experiencing this?
                              Time to look for the neighbor kid with the Red Ryder BB gun! But seriously, that is really bizarre.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X