Taking bikes in the toy hauler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking bikes in the toy hauler

I've got a 381m, that I carry my 4 door Can Am X3 side by side in. So the garage is pretty booked up. We want to start taking our 2 bikes with us and the way we made it work last time was by taking all the wheels off both bikes and scattering the pieces between on top of my SxS in the garage and the bedroom bed. Doable but a big hassle.

There are empty spaces here and there in the trailer (Like the garage bathroom, or hallway) but I'm not sure how I can attach the bikes there safely. The handlebars and even more so the pedals make things so much more difficult and risk damaging things.

I wanted to see if anyone has come up with any creative easy solutions that keep the bike together.​
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

My first thought is if there is room for a bike rack at that back of the X3? The trailer suspension, plus the suspension of the X3 should smooth out the bumps for the bike rack and the bikes.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
      My first thought is if there is room for a bike rack at that back of the X3? The trailer suspension, plus the suspension of the X3 should smooth out the bumps for the bike rack and the bikes.
      The problem is that when the x3 is backed in, there is probably 2 inches behind it and 2 inches in front of it. It is PACKED.

I fit a bike between the X3 and the garage wall last time for one of the rides. Even though it was "jammed" in there pretty well, it ended up stretching the x3 (no big deal) and a little bit of the wall. I don't want to scratch or damage the trailer....

I have the bed off in the happy jack system and I may have been able to fit at least one of the bikes on top of the happyjack seats, but I think the pedals won't fit and if they did I would be afraid of them scratching the seats up.
      2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
      2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Second thought would be a rack on the front of the TV. Of course, it would need to be far enough out from the grill to not interfere with cooling of the motor, and if you have any new-to-me auto-braking or other fancy devices, the rack and bikes may interfere with their performance.

Third thought would be a receiver mounted at the rear of the trailer. This would require some modification to the main beams of the trailer (drilling holes in the flange or web, or even welding for the hitch supports) which Lippert may say voids any warranty (particularly if the webs of the beams are impacted). Some modification to the skirt on the back of the trailer and possibly relocation of the license plate may also be needed. If I was going to do this, I would want the receiver above the bottom flanges of the main beams.

With respect to my third thought, there are several threads about installing a rear receiver and concern about how much bounce the rack and the bikes will be exposed to. I don't have any direct empirical data but based on objects in our garage near the back pretty much staying put, I don't think I'm getting all that much bounce. We're heavy and slow with three axles, I think these factors quickly dampen any bouncing.

John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I wonder if you could do an inverted mount on the roof of the RV? There are wooded trusses up there that will provide a good mounting area. You would still need to secure them some way.

Find something to put over the pedals like hose bib insulation bags, pipe insulation, etc to help protect any surfaces they may come in contact with.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...-FC3/203221860
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X