Screws through bedroom floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screws through bedroom floors

Anybody else find screws poking up from below the carpet in your units ? There are several in the front bedroom and also in the mid bunk on my 367mbs . Why are they there and can they be fixed , looks like they are under the enclosed underbelly and though the flooring .

Eddy

I have not found screws poking up but have found plenty of staples that are suppose to hole the carpet down. I think they try to use like 40 staples per square inch , maybe not that many.
    Some of the staples are not completely seated so they feel like something sticking up. I found the first couple with my feet and then gently used my hand to find a few more. I just used a hammer to seat them down into the carpet. I did not find any sharp edges or get cut when doing this but please use a little caution.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I have not found screws poking up but have found plenty of staples that are suppose to hole the carpet down. I think they try to use like 40 staples per square inch , maybe not that many.
      Some of the staples are not completely seated so they feel like something sticking up. I found the first couple with my feet and then gently used my hand to find a few more. I just used a hammer to seat them down into the carpet. I did not find any sharp edges or get cut when doing this but please use a little caution.

Brian
      Same here! I wish they would glue down instead of staples. I'm still finding one every once in a while.
      Bob P.
      2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
      2020 337RLS
      VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post

Same here! I wish they would glue down instead of staples. I'm still finding one every once in a while.
        Oh, please not glue! That would be a nightmare when you want to replace the carpet (whether with new carpet or a hard flooring).

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I agree with SC Rob . . . glued carpet would be a nightmare! But, the OP is asking about screws coming up from the underside of the flooring . . . not carpet staples from the topside. We have replaced all our carpeting and had to pull hundreds of staples (no exaggeration) but did not encounter any screw tips from the underside.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had a couple screws poking through the floor in the bedroom of my '14 337. One of them poked me pretty good one time. I had to crawl under the floor and replace them with shorter screws.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              I had a couple screws poking through the floor in the bedroom of my '14 337. One of them poked me pretty good one time. I had to crawl under the floor and replace them with shorter screws.

Jim
              Jim when you found the screws was it the factory put in screws that were too long, or they used to much torque to installed and counter sunk them too deep. Regardless one of the GD reps needs to notify the factory of the issue.
              2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
              2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
              2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
              2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

My 5th wheel is a 2018 build so i guess it is an on going issue , Looks like a pain in the butt to fix .

Regards Eddy

Comment

Originally posted by chunker View Post

Jim when you found the screws was it the factory put in screws that were too long, or they used to much torque to installed and counter sunk them too deep. Regardless one of the GD reps needs to notify the factory of the issue.
                  I found different length screws for the same application. Some were fine, and others were too long. It was very random. They were not counter-sunk too deep.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Our brand new Reflection 337RLS has the same problem with tacks sticking up around the first 2 feet when you walk into the bedroom. I'll see if I can hammer them down. Not fun when barefoot or wearing socks!
                    Mike & Michelle
                    2020 337RLS
                    2018 F350 SB diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy View Post
                      Anybody else find screws poking up from below the carpet in your units ? There are several in the front bedroom and also in the mid bunk on my 367mbs . Why are they there and can they be fixed , looks like they are under the enclosed underbelly and though the flooring .

Eddy
                      We just took our maiden voyage in our new 337RLS and there are a ton of screws--I guess they are screws now that I've read in the forum--sticking up through the carpet. We couldn't walk in there without stepping on screws. We also found some loose staples.

Comment

Originally posted by DiFrancis View Post

We just took our maiden voyage in our new 337RLS and there are a ton of screws--I guess they are screws now that I've read in the forum--sticking up through the carpet. We couldn't walk in there without stepping on screws. We also found some loose staples.
                        DiFrancis those will be difficult to file down without damaging the carpet. Are you going to attempt to fix this yourself or get the dealer to repair?

GDRV-Mariah -- please pass the two observations about screws penetrating the floor to the Reflection team. Note both units are 5th wheels (367 and 337).

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by DiFrancis View Post

The "screws" that you thing you are stepping on could also be staples that were not completely installed. We found many loose staples in the carpet and plenty more that were not seated , I just used a hammer to finish seating them. Gently feel around with your hand but not too hard that you may get cut. You could also just pull them out if you wish.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would be really surprised if there were screws protruding through the floor from the underside. I can't see how/when they would get there from the assembly processes that I have seen. A close up picture of the screw point would be interesting to see. As mentioned earlier, I suspect that you are stepping on staples that are not fully driven in.

From underneath, after the coroplast was dropped, the membrane on the underside of the floor joists and the batt insulation would have to be removed (on a Reflection) to get to the underside of the floor surface OSB. You really don't want a dealer going at that process .

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X