Rebuilding Kitchen Drawers Reflection 220RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Kitchen Drawers Reflection 220RK

Well I finally got around to a more substantial fix fro the emergency repair in Alaska.
    Background - due to the rough roads and a few heavy items the support structure gave way - the one or two screws holding the back supports shifted causing the drawer rails to separate, I cobbled together some parts and a very expensive piece of 1x3 while visiting Denali and got them back together. Well that repair only lasted 2 years and 6K miles.

The bottom drawers box cam apart and the ball bearing strips (plastic) came out of the rails for all three left drawers.

This is the place I bought new drawer slides (18") https://www.cabinetparts.com/. They also have replacement boxes too along with an assortment of other things.
    This is what I ordered
    AC-383218 3832-E18 Accuride 3832C Full Extension Slide 18" https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/accur...894135c9317885

ACBX0322 4180-0322-XE Accuride Face Frame Rear Bracket Kit ​ https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/accur...d145bb68f04900

This is what fell apart - note the ball bearing strip has parted way from the slide.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1864s.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	136900Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876s.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	136904

The new slides are more robust the the original (original left, new right)

Name:	IMG_1866s.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	136901
    The thickness is the same, just taller and much better made.

Name:	IMG_1868s.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	136902
    This is the original mounting bracket, just held in by staples. As the new rear bracket would not fit in the slot -close but no go and would have been low in back, I removed them and replaced with the new.

Name:	IMG_1871s.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	136903
    After removal of the old I mounted the new rear brackets. I first leveled the trailer, then checked the old for level and made a few marks so I could attache the new level and with the same offset from the wall. In front they rest on the door opening base (same as old.) Now I did haft to adjust a few sideways to have the drawer fronts sit flat against the face frame. At the very bottom of the picture you can see the new cross brace. The old particle board one is still there, but broke free at the one screw holding it allowing all the slides to fail as things shifted. I added a cross brace up top too (not shown)

Next post the drawer box rebuild.

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Now to rebuilding the drawer box

Name:	IMG_1872s.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	136906
    I installed the new side rail flush with the bottom of the box, just as the original was. This keeps the drawer in the same orientation height wise with the opening. At first I set the side rail higher to cover the extra height, but then the box did not fit The original rail was held on with two #8 by 3/8' screws. I used #8 by 1/2" and used 4 per rail. Note I also used #6 by 1: to reinforce the caucus stapled frame connections. GD used no glue anywhere in this assembly just staples and but joints.

If this boxes fail again I will look at getting new boxes https://www.cabinetparts.com/custom/...7ef161254cc076

Name:	IMG_1873s.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	136907 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874s.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	136908
    First the box that failed - staples staples staples. It took some time to straighten and drive back through the 3/8' box material, to remove, but got it done. Warning these staples are very sharp.

Name:	IMG_1875s.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	136909
    I then used Gorilla glue (clear) on the joints and reinforced the connections with #6 by1" screws. Yes this one is overkill, I just used 4 screws on the other connections (sometimes 2 if the box was still solid. I did pre-drill all the holes and added some gorilla glue in the hole before pitting the screw in.

Then it was the matter if installing and making the final adjustments. Sorry no picture of the final install, but everything works, and the latches even lined up. I did expand the connecting tip though to get a better closure lock..

So on to the next project - installing the D-rings to hold our new furniture for travel. And sanitize the plumbing for use this year.

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I am surprised that the 3000 staples failed, who would have thought.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I am surprised that the 3000 staples failed, who would have thought.

Brian
        LOLLOL Do they use the same system on the upper line trailers - Solitude, etc?

One more thing to talk to Emily about at the CO Rally

I should probably check the other drawers too, just in case while I have everything there to fix them.
        Keith

Comment

FYI some of the orange and blue box stores carry Accuride (great slide). Even some local hardware stores carry them. They are a well known and robust built slide.

They also make a lay flat slide for a pull out tray (FYI Spending Keiths money) that one could use for a pull out tray in the basement.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            FYI some of the orange and blue box stores carry Accuride (great slide). Even some local hardware stores carry them. They are a well known and robust built slide.

They also make a lay flat slide for a pull out tray (FYI Spending Keiths money) that one could use for a pull out tray in the basement.
            I checked my local HD - they do carry them but were out of stock on the 18" and did not have the back mount. Same for my ACE - they both could order them. but the price was much higher then where I ordered from. Sipping was fast too.
            Keith
            Last edited by Yoda; 07-11-2024, 12:04 AM.

Comment

the back support is nice, but not necessary. We always ran 2 wood runners from the back of the face frame to the wall. later I saw where you cut a cross board the same width as the opening for the drawer, then put it between the wood runners and staple or screw that to the wall for the elevation and side to side alignments of the runners.

And as long as the drawer guide is long enough for your needs, the drawer can be deeper or shallower than the guide. So you can build an 18" box but only use 16" slides. 2" of drawer stays in the cabinet. Likewise you can use a 20" guide and build an 18" box and have the box pull out 2" (like they do for some of the outside kitchen burners to let the hoses pass.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X