Teak accent wall - bugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teak accent wall - bugs?

After a few months of what I thought was sawdust settling in a new rig, has now become a concern. I’ve not seen any termites or worms but there is quite a bit of powdery substance coming out of the teak accent wall in my Solitude. Has anyone had to deal with this problem?
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-26-2020, 06:30 PM.

I have pictures. Just need to figure out how to post.

Comment

Norma - Click on the camera icon, then click on upload file to post the pictures.

It is not unusual for sawdust to continue to shake out of the system for a year or two. When they drill holes, the sawdust gets trapped. Then, movement and vibration while you're going down the road causes it to shake out. My unit is 3-1/2 years old now with over 20,000 miles and I still find a little bit of sawdust from time to time.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

This sawdust is a complaint of DW every time we move. We even keep a hand brush in the main cabin so that the floor can be swept as soon as the slides are out on arrival. I'm not as forgiving as Jim. I've worked on stick and mortar construction and home projects. I have also found sawdust in areas were it could have easily been cleaned up. I have expressed to GD that, IMO, cleaning up during/after construction is part of providing a quality product, apparently my complaints fell on deaf ears. I'm sure this is a labor cost/production issue, but I'm also sure everyone at GD heard it from their mothers when they were growing up: "Clean up after yourself!"
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Comment

Norma Leahy

Yes that does certainly look like some kind of bug,ants maybe. I would be curious as to what region you are located and how long have you been there, permanent site?

GDRV-Megan , any ideas on the pictures above.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Norma Leahy
              The way that only one board is affected, does make it appear that there is some type of bug involved. I can’t picture where this accent wall is in your Solitude, but it is not likely teak (teak is naturally resistant to bugs). It looks like some type of barn board. Would it be difficult to remove these boards to see what is going on behind this wall covering ?

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Deleted....
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Well, that certainly isn't remnant sawdust causing those holes and dust. I'm wondering if the wood was contaminated prior to installation? I wonder if it might be a good idea to spray the affected area with an insecticide to mitigate any further damage. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Purchased in Knoxville, Tn. Spent 5 months in Mesa, Az and now in Louisiana. Powder has been there since purchase. The promo video for 2020 ST390RK-R said it was made from teak. See pic below.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Norma Leahy View Post
                        Purchased in Knoxville, Tn. Spent 5 months in Mesa, Az and now in Louisiana. Powder has been there since purchase. The promo video for 2020 ST390RK-R said it was made from teak. See pic below.
                        That info definitely means it was there when built , I think. I would contact your dealer and also Grand Design , have your vin # ready. I would also send pictures. I am not sure of the construction of this if the damaged pieces can be removed or the whole wall will need replaced.
                        GDRV-Megan , GDRV-Emily , should there be any other steps that should be taken with the problem?

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Norma Leahy View Post
                            Thanks everyone for your replies.
                            I have reached out to our product manager, and he has an email into our supplier. I'll update here once I hear back from him.

Comment

Thank you Megan. It’s appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X