Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3740BH - Remove Sofa & Bunk, Add Desk, Computer & Monitor - Electric Power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3740BH - Remove Sofa & Bunk, Add Desk, Computer & Monitor - Electric Power?

I am thinking of purchasing a 3740BH which has far more Bunk Beds than we need, and making it into a Den / Office by removing the Sofa and the Bunk Bed in the slide out. I am assuming that the removal part will be straightforward, but how about getting the power to the new desk?
    Any advise on installing a desk & getting power there would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by howson; 04-23-2020, 05:15 AM. Reason: Fixed model #
    Phil & Kay Wigglesworth
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2020 F-450

Originally posted by Mythlandia View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a 3740BH which has far more Bunk Beds than we need, and making it into a Den / Office by removing the Sofa and the Bunk Bed in the slide out. I am assuming that the removal part will be straightforward, but how about getting the power to the new desk?
    Any advise on installing a desk & getting power there would be greatly appreciated.
    Please note that the info below may not be 100% accurate as GD may have changed their electric plan. Make sure and put your eyes on an actual trailer to verify!

There appears to be two outlets in the bunk room (solid red rectangles). They are on the far wall, one at each end of the bed. If the "Electric Plan" I have access to is still current, those outlets share the same 15A circuit breaker as the 3 outlets in the master bedroom. There's also a TV coax on the one wall--convenient for an office.

Another possibility is the GFCI outlet (open red rectangle) in the outside kitchen. It's proximity is right behind the curb-side wall of that bunk area. This outlet is also on a 15A breaker and shares all the bathroom outlets, kitchen island outlet, and passthrough/exterior outlets. The existing interior outlet is a better option, though, IMO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3740BH.JPG Views:	25 Size:	141.9 KB ID:	17182

I am uncertain of the feasibility or how much damage there will be to the interior walls if the bunks are disassembled and removed. I'd go into a project like that with the assumption the walls will need new coverings and/or patch & paint.

Good luck with your search.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 04-24-2020, 06:27 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Many thanks for an awesome response. We have gone ahead and purchased this RV. I managed to locate the socket on the actual RV and your diagram helped a lot. On my 2019, there is a socket at floor level at the dresser end of the bunk at the end that remains exposed when the slide is fully in. Seems perfect for my needs.
      Phil & Kay Wigglesworth
      2019 Solitude 3740BH
      2020 F-450

Comment

Originally posted by Mythlandia View Post
        Many thanks for an awesome response. We have gone ahead and purchased this RV. I managed to locate the socket on the actual RV and your diagram helped a lot. On my 2019, there is a socket at floor level at the dresser end of the bunk at the end that remains exposed when the slide is fully in. Seems perfect for my needs.
        Congratulations! When you get into your modification, will you do the forum the favor of documenting it? Pictures with commentary are always welcome.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
        X