Sliding doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding doors

With no restraint at the bottom of the sliding doors they break the holding strap loose and slide back and forth during travel. Suggestions?

Originally posted by rhpalm View Post
    With no restraint at the bottom of the sliding doors they break the holding strap loose and slide back and forth during travel. Suggestions?
    Hi rhpalm,

Welcome to our Owners Technical Forum.

We cover all the models that Grand Design builds. And there are many sliding doors in many places.
    We will need more details on your question. .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have a 2020 Imagine 2600RB with one sliding door at bathroom and one at bedroom

Comment

I have a 2020 Imagine 2600RB with one sliding door at bathroom and one at bedroom
        Looking at your floor plan on the GD website I see some kind of bugee type cord to hold the doors , maybe? Does not look substantial at all. Maybe a better quality bungee or a rope to tie a knot in may help.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

rhpalm

The crosswise sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom on our Reflection 303RLS is held open with the plastic strap and snap shown in the attached picture. This is still working fine after 5 years and 25,000 towing miles. Are the straps on your sliding doors different than this ?

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

You can use a slide lock for the rear door which is exposed to far greater forces than the front door. Or you could use them on both doors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTA-RV-SLI...75.c100623.m-1
            Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

On my 2020 2600rb it is a nylon strap with snaps on each end. I've only traveled a few times but so far both doors have stayed put.

Mine is like Cate&Rob but a nylon strap instead of plastic.
              ​​​​​​​
              Charles and Susan
              2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
              Andersen Hitch
              2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I had a similar Problem on my 2020 Imagine 2600RL. Don’t know if I didn’t fasten the snap completely, but bedroom door came loose and flapped around to come out of bottom bracket. Here’s my solution to back up the strap and snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Londog View Post
                  I had a similar Problem on my 2020 Imagine 2600RL. Don’t know if I didn’t fasten the snap completely, but bedroom door came loose and flapped around to come out of bottom bracket. Here’s my solution to back up the strap and snap.
                  I like to note when I see an individual's first post on the forum is a helpful one. Welcome, and glad you joined us Londog!
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    The crosswise sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom on our Reflection 303RLS is held open with the plastic strap and snap shown in the attached picture. This is still working fine after 5 years and 25,000 towing miles. Are the straps on your sliding doors different than this ? Rob
                    rhpalm On the other hand we've owned two 2018 GD trailers in 3+ years, both of them with bathroom doors "secured" in the open position by a strap like the one Rob is referencing and neither of them have held the door open during travel.

Closing the door and allowing its magnetic "latch" to hold it closed seems to keep it closed - we don't have any indication that the doors have been slamming open and closed during travel. Both of our bathroom doors have been in a fore - aft orientation.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

rhpalm On the other hand we've owned two 2018 GD trailers in 3+ years, both of them with bathroom doors "secured" in the open position by a strap like the one Rob is referencing and neither of them have held the door open during travel.

Closing the door and allowing its magnetic "latch" to hold it closed seems to keep it closed - we don't have any indication that the doors have been slamming open and closed during travel. Both of our bathroom doors have been in a fore - aft orientation.
                      In 2020 Imagine 2600RB only the bedroom door has a magnetic catch. The bathroom just slides to the stop
                      You you must rely on the strap system to hold it open and keep it from moving around during travel.

Charles and Susan
                      Andersen Hitch
                      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

We have the same arrangement that ckreef mentioned in our 2020 Imagine 2600RB. We've had problems with both the nylon strap/snap assembly not holding the door open as well as the plastic slide retainer at the bottom of the door pulling out and failing to hold the door. This happened on just our second trip out with the camper and we were on nice smooth paved roads. That slide retainer, the GD parts list calls it a is meant to prevent the door from swinging perpendicular to the slide track. It all failed badly enough on the bedroom door that the door slammed open and snapped off the cheep screw GD used as a stop in the slide track and allowed the door to slide part way off the overhead track. Has anybody come up with a more robust solution to stabilize the doors? We love the 2600RB and the use of sliding doors to save space but the design to hold the door stable is weak and dangerous.
                        Last edited by DavidC; 06-08-2020, 03:32 PM.
                        David & Kari +2 Dogs (Cream & Winston)
                        2020 2600RB (Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall, NC)
                        2017 Ford F-150 5.0L

Comment

@DavidC

I experienced the same problem with the bedroom door breaking the screw door Stopper and coming off the tracks. Check out the link for how I fixed the door Stopper issue.
                          I screwed up. Last weekend I adjusted my trailer brakes then drove it down the road and back to test them. Oops I forgot to attach my sliding door straps. One of the doors hit the screw stopper so hard it busted the screw and came off the track at the end. It didn't screw up anything other than breaking the screw stopper. I
                          Charles and Susan
                          Andersen Hitch
                          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

So I found and executed a pretty good solution. I found a really nice barn door wall mount floor guide on Amazon to replace the low quality guide from GD. This has rubber rollers and the inside roller holds the door 1/2" away from the wall, the outer roller is adjustable to hold the door just right , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51YWEzI29uL._AC_SL1001_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	21517

Swapping out the GD plastic guide with the roller guide was very easy. I had to drill new holes but the bracket sits right over the old holes with plenty of space between the new holes and the old ones for a good solid mounting. The matching screws that came with the wall mount floor guide were perfect for the installation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200614_133920[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.4 KB ID:	21518
                            The picture shows the old GD plastic door guide with the new roller guide installed.

I also went to Lowes Hardware and found some black rubber test tube type stoppers that I cut in half to make them 1/2" tall, drilled a hole in the center and used a #8x1.5" wood screw to screw the modified stopper into the overhead slide track as a shock absorbing bumper for the the door stop. For the bedroom door it's an open stop and on the bathroom it's a close stop. In the case of the bathroom door the driver side wall acts as a stop that I didn't really like. Especially since when driving the door bounces between the nylon web strap on snaps that holds the door open and that driver wall. So I used another half of one of the rubber test tube stoppers to create an open stop just short of hitting the wall. Now the strap holds the door tight against the rubber stop and has only about an 1" of travel to bounce between. The bedroom door has a magnet on the closed side and the new test tube rubber stopper on the open. When traveling the strap holds the door open and the door bounces between the test tube rubber stop and the strap with maybe 2" inches of travel. I had also noticed on the door edge and door opening trim edge where the strap made contact, that because of the travel of both doors there was abrasion marks from the rough GD factory nylon web. It was also obvious that the nylon web was rather loose and allowed more travel on the door than I really wanted. I also didn't like the plastic snap studs on the inside of the door and the outside of the door frame. So, I replaced the snap studs with marine grade nickle plated snap studs and using 1" nylon web I had, built new nylon straps and set more marine grade nickle plated snaps much closer together to keep the door tighter. In addition I sewed up two sleeves to go over each of the nylon straps with some black fleece to act as padding to prevent further abrasion between the straps and door/door frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200614_132924[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	21519
                            Example of rubber stopper screwed into the door slide track.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200614_133028[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	21520
                            Picture of new strap with new snaps hardware and fleece chafe sleeve.
                            David & Kari +2 Dogs (Cream & Winston)
                            2020 2600RB (Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall, NC)
                            2017 Ford F-150 5.0L

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC View Post
                              So I found and executed a pretty good solution. I found a really nice barn door wall mount floor guide on Amazon to replace the low quality guide from GD. This has rubber rollers and the inside roller holds the door 1/2" away from the wall, the outer roller is adjustable to hold the door just right....
                              Nice work, David, and excellent writeup. I have little doubt your post will be referenced (and solution copied) by others that have the same issue.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X