310GK Backsplash Tile Popping Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 310GK Backsplash Tile Popping Off

The subway tile behind our cooktop is loose. What sort of adhesive is recommended for this?

Originally posted by Paul and Liz View Post
    The subway tile behind our cooktop is loose. What sort of adhesive is recommended for this?
    Can't see any details about your rig in your signature, but this was happening in my 2018 Solitude 310GK and the dealer fixed it under warranty. If you're under warranty, this will be covered. The adhesive the dealer used did the trick. Not sure if it was GD recommended it or not.

If you don't come up with a solution, I'll email my dealer and see if they can identify the adhesive. . .

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

Thanks Steve, Our rig is a 2020 310GK so it's still under warranty but I just figured I'd do it myself. I'll give my dlr a call.

Comment

Most tile adhesives expect that the wall won’t be bouncing down the highway. In a similar application (on my boat) I used silicone caulking to glue the tiles to the wall. Achieved a good bond that has remained flexible enough to stay put through more than a few rough seas. It will be interesting to learn what GD and/or the dealer would use.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, That is exactly my concern. I could use some type of epoxy but I'm worried that having it rigid to the wall is going to create problems down the road.
          Called the dealer yesterday and am still waiting for them to get back to me. Not holding my breath...
          I did find that the tiles are attached to a sustrate that is attached to the wall and the adhesive looked and felt like some kind of VHB Tape.
          I added a couple of pictures.

Comment

Paul and Liz

This makes perfect sense when you consider how quickly these trailers are put together. There is no way the production process would allow time for individually placing tiles, never mind the grouting process after they were set. This also explains the "fit" (using this term loosely) around the window as shown in your first post.

Option 1 (and likely what a dealer would do) is to apply a thick enough bead or bed of adhesive to allow the tile and backer to remain curved and stay in position. Trying to force this to stay flat would be a losing proposition.

Option 2 would be to start fresh with a new backer of something less likely to warp and perhaps better fitted around the window and adjacent walls/cabinets. This gives you the option od selecting whatever tiles you want. This is what I did on our Reflection (where there were no original tiles). This allowed me to trial fit the backer board (since the wall was not square to anything surrounding it ) and then fit the tiles to the backer. I did set the tiles in a thickened epoxy and used a grout that retained some flexibility. I installed the entire assembly to the wall with generous silicone beads which maintains the vibration isolation (very much like the two sided tape used in your installation) This wall panel has been in place without any problems for many thousands of miles.

With reference to my earlier comment, I did set tiles individually with silicone in a boat application (which you could do here). This has lasted well . . . but, was a tedious and rather messy exercise.

Rob

-Moderator note: This post is included in the Master Modification List as of v006. (A post in the middle of a thread can't be tagged.) -hw

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2587.jpg Views:	197 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	17772

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2588.jpg Views:	155 Size:	193.7 KB ID:	17773

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2589.jpg Views:	158 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	17774
            Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 03:21 PM.
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dealer never returned numerous calls - I know, I'm as shocked as you are - but Grand Design did come through with a new section of tile on a perfectly flat backer board. I ended up going with 1 minute epoxy to affix the tile/board to the wall and it has stayed put for a few months.

Comment

Working...
              X