Floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floors

New to GD and 5th wheels. Is it normal to feel a bit of flex in the floors where I suspect it would be between joists? I am not talking about the feel of rot or that extreme, but I can feel a bit of flex when I step in certain areas. I am not considered a "lightweight" by any means, but just want to make sure it is normal for theses floors, or should they be solid as a rock. 2018 reflection 337. Thanks
    Pierre and Debbie
    2018 Ram 3500 SLT srw lb
    2018 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Pierre&Deb
    Nothing like "solid as a rock" LOL!
    Everything in an RV is "lightweight and flexible"
    What you are feeling when someone else moves around is completely normal.
    You should feel our Reflection when the two Border Collies take to chasing their cat from bed to rear sofa and back again .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Pierre&Deb
      Nothing like "solid as a rock" LOL!
      Everything in an RV is "lightweight and flexible"
      What you are feeling when someone else moves around is completely normal.
      You should feel our Reflection when the two Border Collies take to chasing their cat from bed to rear sofa and back again .

Rob
      Or a 6 and 3 year old.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre&Deb View Post
        New to GD and 5th wheels. Is it normal to feel a bit of flex in the floors where I suspect it would be between joists? I am not talking about the feel of rot or that extreme, but I can feel a bit of flex when I step in certain areas. I am not considered a "lightweight" by any means, but just want to make sure it is normal for theses floors, or should they be solid as a rock. 2018 reflection 337. Thanks
        I may be misinterpreting your question, but if you are referencing a specific spot in the floor that flexes (versus the movement of the entire camper as described in the previous posts) the floor "giving" is not an unknown occurrence. The floor substrate on GD 5th wheels is plywood, so over time high-traffic spots (in front of the sink, etc) can weaken and flex.

I am not aware of any way to reinforce or repair sections of the floor.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
          Hi Howard
          Your interpretation of the original question fromPierre&Deb is more correct than mine. In a subsequent PM discussion between the OP and myself, we sorted this out (I think).

My observation is that there has always been more flex in the floor of my Reflection 303RLS than is normal in residential construction. Since new, the kitchen island would move when I stepped in certain locations near it. The bathroom floor flexes enough to squeak. The slide floor is the most flexible with the dining table visibly wobbling when moving around on the chairs. (A relatively unsupported OSB floor in all slides)

There are two distinctly different main floor structures (as discussed in another thread a while ago).

The larger 5th wheels (like the OP's 337RLS) have relatively thick OSB across an aluminum frame. Between the frame joists is fibreglass batt insulation which offers no structural support to the floor. Thus, if you step heavily on the mid span location between joists this will flex down and the next span over will flex up (slightly). This movement is visually amplified if there is something attached only to this floor area (like a kitchen island).

The other floor structure (like yours) has rigid foam fitted tightly to the spaces between the floor joists and this provides uniform support to the floor, allowing the wood above to be thinner and lighter. I can see how a heavy traffic area could eventually compress the rigid foam below and allow a soft spot as you describe. (I have never experienced this . . . so, I am guessing here)

Well . . . that turned into a long-winded reply . . . .

Rob
          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-05-2020, 01:56 PM.
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            howson
            Hi Howard
            Your interpretation of the original question fromPierre&Deb is more correct than mine. In a subsequent PM discussion between the OP and myself, we sorted this out (I think).

My observation is that there has always been more flex in the floor of my Reflection 303RLS than is normal in residential construction. Since new, the kitchen island would move when I stepped in certain locations near it. The bathroom floor flexes enough to squeak. The slide floor is the most flexible with the dining table visibly wobbling when moving around on the chairs. (A relatively unsupported OSB floor in all slides)

There are two distinctly different main floor structures (as discussed in another thread a while ago).

The larger 5th wheels (like the OP's 337RLS) have relatively thick OSB across an aluminum frame. Between the frame joists is fibreglass batt insulation which offers no structural support to the floor. Thus, if you step heavily on the mid span location between joists this will flex down and the next span over will flex up (slightly). This movement is visually amplified if there is something attached only to this floor area (like a kitchen island).

The other floor structure has rigid foam fitted tightly to the spaces between the floor joists and this provides uniform support to the floor, allowing the wood above to be thinner and lighter. I can see how a heavy traffic area could eventually compress the rigid foam below and allow a soft spot as you describe. (I have never experienced this . . . so, I am guessing here)

Well . . . that turned into a long-winded reply . . . .

Rob
            I was surprised when we saw the two different types of floors during the factory tour. My impression is the floor in my 315RLTS TT is stronger/more durable than the floors in the 5vrs. As you describe well, it has the rigid foam construction--looks to my untrained eye that it is the same as the wall construction but used on the floor.

I don't understand why there are two different types other than the 5vr floor can be assembled right on the factory floor versus the pre-built of the TT floor.

Thanks for clarifying.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks everyone. I feel better knowing that this is normal floor behavior and that I need not worry about it. My previous TT did not have this movement in the floor as it was built like the side walls. Still getting g to know the new trailer, but so far love it.
              Pierre and Debbie
              2018 Ram 3500 SLT srw lb
              2018 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Working...
              X