Sliding Door, Stopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding Door, Stopper

I screwed up. Last weekend I adjusted my trailer brakes then drove it down the road and back to test them. Oops I forgot to attach my sliding door straps. One of the doors hit the screw stopper so hard it busted the screw and came off the track at the end. It didn't screw up anything other than breaking the screw stopper. I managed to get the door back in the track. I needed to replace the stopper but just a screw wasn't good enough. Here's what I did.

I took a rubber cork from a cheap bottle of wine and cut a piece 11/16" long. Pre drilled everything and installed it with a wood screw from the house. Then repeated it on the other sliding door.

The first picture is GD's screw stopper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sds1.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	18589

Name:	sds2.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	18590

Name:	sds3.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	18591

Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Charles

Did Grand Design just have a screw stuck there for the stopper , or was there anything like your cork there?

On a side note , what happened to the cheap bottle of wine? I hope it did not just sacrifice the cork.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Charles

Did Grand Design just have a screw stuck there for the stopper , or was there anything like your cork there?

On a side note , what happened to the cheap bottle of wine? I hope it did not just sacrifice the cork.

Brian
      Nothing but a screw. Saw that when we first brought home the Imagine. Check yours out. Would love to know if they do it differently in other lines.

On a side note: we never sacrifice/waste alcohol. That would be considered alcohol abuse - LOL

Charles and Susan
      Andersen Hitch
      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

Nothing but a screw. Saw that when we first brought home the Imagine. Check yours out. Would love to know if they do it differently in other lines.

On a side note: we never sacrifice/waste alcohol. That would be considered alcohol abuse - LOL
        Yep , just went and looked nothing but a screw for a stopper. I guess I am off to the cheap wine store , if it is open. Thanks for the heads up , sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Brian

PS: A discussion with screws and wine corks , there should be nothing wrong with that ( I think). Maybe GDRV-Emily would like to join in this discussion I think she likes wine maybe she could pass this on to the more important folks and provide them with some corks so they could make a proper stopper.
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yep , just went and looked nothing but a screw for a stopper. I guess I am off to the cheap wine store , if it is open. Thanks for the heads up , sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Brian

PS: A discussion with screws and wine corks , there should be nothing wrong with that ( I think). Maybe GDRV-Emily would like to join in this discussion I think she likes wine maybe she could pass this on to the more important folks and provide them with some corks so they could make a proper stopper.

Nothing wrong with cheap wine. Does the job when money is tight during COVID-19. And it doubles as a GD upgrade - win, win - LOL
          Charles and Susan
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Country Campers i DO like wine!!! Is it too early for some today already?!

Will pass this info on!

Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
              Country Campers i DO like wine!!! Is it too early for some today already?!

Will pass this info on!

Thank you!!
              I do think GD can do better than a screw for just a few cents more.
              Charles and Susan
              Andersen Hitch
              2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

At least you didn't utilize a 6 3/4 deck screw. Some big hairy mess sticking through the roof membrane catching birds while driving down the highway.
                Gary F
                2020 Solitude 375RES-R
                2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

I had the same problem with my new 2020 Reflection 295RL unfortunately for me when the bedroom door came off the track it knocked the thermostat off the wall and now it doesn’t display or maintain the temperature. The air will not cool.
                  It’s easier for me to replace the thermostat than an hours tow to the dealer.
                  Unable to locate a Airxcel replacement.(Out of Stock)

Loved the cork idea!
                  You would think Grand Design would have better quality control?
                  Last edited by Plt Jlt; 08-14-2020, 04:53 PM.
                  2020 Reflection 295RL 150 Series

Comment

Originally posted by Plt Jlt View Post
                    I had the same problem with my new 2020 Reflection 295RL unfortunately for me when the bedroom door came off the track it knocked the thermostat off the wall and now it doesn’t display or maintain the temperature. The air will cool.
                    It’s easier for me to replace the thermostat than an hours tow to the dealer.
                    Unable to locate a Airxcel replacement.(Out of Stock)
                    Welcome to the forum Plt Jlt. Amazon has an Arixcel thermostat that appears to be in stock. Will this model work for you?

https://smile.amazon.com/Coleman-Mac...dDbGljaz10cnVl

P.S. Many of us would rather do all of our own repairs vs. taking our rigs to the dealership.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post

I do think GD can do better than a screw for just a few cents more.
                      GD should include a bottle of wine with every purchase so we can use the cork.
                      2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                      2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

My memory isn't as good as it once was..... think I heard that in a song?
                        Anyway, seems like the stoppers for sliding glass or pocket doors would also work for this and be available at a hardware store - but I kind of like the cork solution!
                        It's innovative and has the benefit of a bottle of wine....
                        Chris
                        2019 Solitude 3740BH
                        2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Thanks Jim for the link I didn’t think of Amazon👍
                          looks like it might work.....

Plt
                          2020 Reflection 295RL 150 Series

Comment

This is such a great idea where my Imagine also has the single screw for a door stop. For those interested in stopping the sliding door when traveling we use slide locks at both door openings. Really do not trust the flimsy plastic straps that are used to lock the doors open for travel. These slide locks can also be used for the next time my Schwintek system messes up.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Slide-Out-RV-Lock.html

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X