Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sliding closet door roller reinstall. Door removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding closet door roller reinstall. Door removal.

We have sliding closet doors in the bedroom. One of the screws securing the roller/hanger has come out and now the door won't hang straight -- and it binds.

See attached pics. Here's the door in question:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ClosetDoorSlidesFailing.jpg
Views:	1572
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	18831

The hanger with the missing screw. Note there's no way to re-attach the screw with the doors in place. I think the whole kit-and-kaboodle needs to come apart -- repaired -- and painstakingly re-assembled. Not a happy prospect at all. . .

Name:	UnattachedHangerRoller.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	18832

I'm thinking this trim piece needs to come off to get at the rails. Remove the buttons on the trim and unscrew?

Name:	TrimPieceCoveringTracks.jpg
Views:	1403
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	18833

By the way. One of the reasons the doors don't slide so well is the "craftsmanship" used to install them. Witness:

Name:	TrackFastening_OrNot.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	18834

I'm looking for guidance from you guys on how to reattach the hanger/rollers so the whole shooting match doesn't fall apart on our next trip out.

Thanks.

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

steve&renee
    Hi Steve,

Can you tip the bottom of the door out (away from vertical) so that the top of the door and the track come down and out without removing the valance?

I had to do something similar on the sliding door between our bedroom and bathroom. I undid the (similar "quality") installation screws from the ceiling and removed the plastic door guide from the floor. Then pulled the bottom of the door out enough that the track would drop out of the valence. (Our valence was nailed in place so I didn't want to mess with that).

Then I fixed the attachment between roller brackets and door (which had come apart). Reassembled the door and rollers to the top rail, and reversed the extraction process.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      I undid the (similar "quality") installation screws from the ceiling and removed the plastic door guide from the floor. Then pulled the bottom of the door out enough that the track would drop out of the valence.
      Sounds a little tricky. I've got the trailer home from a weekend "camping trip" to our friend's driveway, so I'll give your approach a try tomorrow.

I'm still thinking that for my application, removing the valance may be in order. I did tug on the valance, and it seemed that it was only screwed in place, not stapled or glued. With the valance out of the way, the track may be straight forward to remove.

Thanks.

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Most bypass doors can be removed by tipping them out and gently lifting to disengage the rollers from the top track, but you first need to remove the door guide (s) from the floor so the door can swing out. I suggest this be a 2 person job so one can watch the track and rollers as the other lifts. I could be wrong, but I have replaced a few bypass closet doors in my time and even watched This Old House do it so it must be right??
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          Most bypass doors can be removed by tipping them out and gently lifting to disengage the rollers from the top track, but you first need to remove the door guide (s) from the floor so the door can swing out. ... even watched This Old House do it so it must be right??
          So your advice sure made sense to me. I even found some videos and they all agreed with you. Went out to the trailer to give it a try. Tilt, lift, wiggle -- swear. It's not working.

Well there's that trim/valance piece on top of the doors that covers the top tracks. I take that off:

Name:	TrimDown.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	18932

And here's what got exposed:

Name:	DoorMechanismExposed.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	18933

Name:	RollersInLatchesCatchClosed.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	18934

If you look really close at the latches, they swing open. See next pic:

Name:	RollersInLatchesCatchOpen.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	18935

To get the door off, you open the latches and move the roller to the right -- and or the door to the left. Helps to lift the door during this operation.

The latches are actually quite well designed and make for a very smoothly operating door. Here's a closeup of the latch:

Name:	RollerLatchCloseup.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	18936

So why did the door fail and how did I fix it?

Name:	NewVsOriginalMountingScrew.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	18937

The latches were installed with teeny little mounting screws -- one had pulled out and others were loose. Replaced the original screws with something more appropriate for the pretty significant forces associated with a sliding door. If you do the screw replacement, be sure to pre-drill a pilot hole. It would be sickening to split that door. Since I had everything all torn apart, I replaced the mounting screws on both doors.

Other than puzzling over how to unlatch the latches for a few minutes, the only hard part about this 1-man job was removing and re-installing the roller pins into the latches. Like I said, it helped to raise the door with a foot while moving the door laterally into the latch track.

-Steve

Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

So your advice sure made sense to me. I even found some videos and they all agreed with you. Went out to the trailer to give it a try. Tilt, lift, wiggle -- swear. It's not working.

Well there's that trim/valance piece on top of the doors that covers the top tracks. I take that off:

Name:	TrimDown.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	18932

And here's what got exposed:

Name:	DoorMechanismExposed.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	18933

Name:	RollersInLatchesCatchClosed.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	18934

If you look really close at the latches, they swing open. See next pic:

Name:	RollersInLatchesCatchOpen.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	18935

To get the door off, you open the latches and move the roller to the right -- and or the door to the left. Helps to lift the door during this operation.

The latches are actually quite well designed and make for a very smoothly operating door. Here's a closeup of the latch:

Name:	RollerLatchCloseup.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	18936

So why did the door fail and how did I fix it?

Name:	NewVsOriginalMountingScrew.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	18937

The latches were installed with teeny little mounting screws -- one had pulled out and others were loose. Replaced the original screws with something more appropriate for the pretty significant forces associated with a sliding door. If you do the screw replacement, be sure to pre-drill a pilot hole. It would be sickening to split that door. Since I had everything all torn apart, I replaced the mounting screws on both doors.

Other than puzzling over how to unlatch the latches for a few minutes, the only hard part about this 1-man job was removing and re-installing the roller pins into the latches. Like I said, it helped to raise the door with a foot while moving the door laterally into the latch track.

-Steve
            Learned something new - great write up and fix.
            Thanks Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to do a great documentary of this process. I thing my bottom rail is binding the front door a little.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Will definitely keep this in mind for the future - just incase.
                Charles and Susan
                2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                Andersen Hitch
                2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

This thread has alot of good information on the front bedroom closet doors for a 310GK, very similar to my 377MBS, so thought I'd add some comments and pictures from what I did to get these doors to move smoothly again. I bought the rig in 2023, but it looks like these doors have been out of adjustment for some time.

The tracks on the floor were slightly bent in places, closing the gap and pinching the lower door guides. A screwdriver as a prybar opened them up again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	track slot.png Views:	0 Size:	855.7 KB ID:	129247

The door guides were also dragging on the rail bottom - removing the upper door trim and adjusting the trollies above with a thin wrench lifted the doors enough to hang freely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1362.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.9 KB ID:	129248

The two door panels have these metal brackets that keep them together when pulling open or closed. I'm missing one on the inner door down low.

Click image for larger version  Name:	door clips.png Views:	0 Size:	825.7 KB ID:	129249

When closed and the right-hand door latched, the left-hand door can move about an inch either way while travelling. A screw is used as a stop in the upper rail. I will move the screw over towards the trolley so that the panel is secure when underway. It's too bad GD does not use a bumpstop designed for this purpose here. I see them available for this style of track online.

Click image for larger version  Name:	closed door gap.png Views:	0 Size:	784.9 KB ID:	129250
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1374.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.5 KB ID:	129251
                  Last edited by BWSTGDS; 02-23-2024, 09:07 PM.
                  Jeff & Janice
                  2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

Working...
                  X