Stripped out screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped out screw

I have a stripped out screw holding one of the hinges of a cabinet in the back of my rig over the couch. I have considered a couple of options to fix it.

1. would be to get a bit longer screw;
    2. would be to drill a slightly larger hole and glue a dowel into the hole, then remount the door with same screw.

What would be the recommendation of the group?
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD / 2020 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 295RL

Before doing either of those approaches, try this:

insert a wooden toothpicks into the hole one at a time. Snap them off flush with the edge of the cabinet. Keep placing them until you have enough to keep them snugly in place. Then, reinsert the screw. The toothpicks will wedge tightly against the hole and the screw should tighten nicely.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Before doing either of those approaches, try this:

insert a wooden toothpicks into the hole one at a time. Snap them off flush with the edge of the cabinet. Keep placing them until you have enough to keep them snugly in place. Then, reinsert the screw. The toothpicks will wedge tightly against the hole and the screw should tighten nicely.

Jim
      I will be try this method after work, thanks.
      2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD / 2020 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 295RL

Comment

Adding a couple of drops of wood glue adds additional strength to the toothpick idea.

I didn't have any toothpicks on hand when mine went, so I used a wood shishkabob skewer.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
        X