New work space for SWMBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New work space for SWMBO

Kelly has worked from home 2 days a week and then from the road periodically after we bought the first RV. That was one of the advantages for having the class C. When she decided to move to a 5er, the decision for the 390 was predicated on having the bar space in the kitchen as her work space. Now with Covid, and her being banned from from the institute comes the need for multiple monitors, more space, and the VeriDesk. When we were shopping for our 5er, Grand Design was a given and floor plan was TBA. My only comment was that I thought that she would be happier when we move to the back of the property with a front living room to see nature instead metal walls and we could move a sofa out. So, now guess what?

We followed the lead and used the research from The Getaway Couple and took a day trip to Ikea in Norfolk on Saturday and bought 2 desks, a filing cabinet and office chair. I really didn't have the desire to jump on the construction Saturday nite after having about 2 hours sleep since 3:30 on Thursday afternoon, but some times chronic insomnia can be a good thing.
    Well, that's together and the only thing left will be running power to the slide thru an inverter.

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
    So, now guess what?
    Nice!

Only other comment (if I may use your thread to poke fun): very surprising to find someone with more icons on their desktop than TucsonJim .

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That looks awesome Jerry and Kelly. I'd be interested in how you design the circuit to power just the slide portion with the inverter.

Howard..... You had to go there didn't you?
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        That looks awesome Jerry and Kelly. I'd be interested in how you design the circuit to power just the slide portion with the inverter.

Howard..... You had to go there didn't you?
        The plan is to piggy back on the inverter that runs the fridge and put in a breaker in the mechanical space, then run Romex to the inside of the frame at the front of the slide mechanism. There I will put a junction box and then use a coiled 120V power cord to go out to the corner of the slide and go up thru the floor where the foot for the sleeper goes and then to the box for the plug. That way when this gets sold and stripped, the sealed hole will be under that foot and can be also sealed from the bottom. The coiled cable will be restrained at both ends to keep from putting a strain on the connections.

But then maybe somebody will have a better suggestion.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
          But then maybe somebody will have a better suggestion.
          I suggest an "energy audit" prior to implementing that idea. A small device called "Kill-A-Watt" is an easy way to measure actual consumption over a time period. http://www.p3international.com/products/P4400.html

The purpose of the audit is to ensure between the refrigerator (when compressor is running) and the all of the computer equipment on all simultaneously won't overwhelm the (relatively) small inverter GD installed. TTBOMK that's a "single purpose" device, i.e., to power the refrigerator.

They even made a version just for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Me.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	21772
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I suggest an "energy audit" prior to implementing that idea. A small device called "Kill-A-Watt" is an easy way to measure actual consumption over a time period. http://www.p3international.com/products/P4400.html

The purpose of the audit is to ensure between the refrigerator (when compressor is running) and the all of the computer equipment on all simultaneously won't overwhelm the (relatively) small inverter GD installed. TTBOMK that's a "single purpose" device, i.e., to power the refrigerator.

They even made a version just for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Me.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	21772
            I've got a Kill A Watt thingy, but the question is where is it? I kept it inside a drawer in the Thor, but then we moved to the Solitude and it got put into a box. When we got back from the maiden voyage, most stored stuff got removed and put into storage pending a a chance to sort and place stuff. I did the same wiring thing on the Thor on a 1800 watt inverter and didn't have a problem. Since the inverter in a 115V pass thru when plugged in or on generator, it will only be using the inverter as a UPS. Many times while travelling in the Thor, Kelly worked using only the inverter and we didn't have any issues. I did the KAW thing then, but don't remember what the draw was for Kelly's stuff.
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
            X