Thomas Payne recliner stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Payne recliner stopped working

I guess it's my turn with the recliner issue. Mine have been working fine but one has no power now, other one is fine. They are both plugged in and the green light is on in the little power box that plugs into the recliner. All connections look good so don't know where to go from here. Mine are actually bolted down so would take some work to get into the back cover. Any ideas on what to check next? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Jeff
    2019 Solitude 375 RES
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Our experience is that you either live without the power to the chair (our choice) or replace the chair. Thomas Payne did not make them so that they can be repaired.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfivver View Post
      I guess it's my turn with the recliner issue. Mine have been working fine but one has no power now, other one is fine. They are both plugged in and the green light is on in the little power box that plugs into the recliner. All connections look good so don't know where to go from here. Mine are actually bolted down so would take some work to get into the back cover. Any ideas on what to check next? Thanks in advance for any advice.
      Jeff,
      LCI has two videos on this page: https://support.lci1.com/thomas-payne-collection

There's also a few owner's manuals with information in them and technical info here: https://support.lci1.com/thomas-payn...al-Information

That about taps me out for knowledge on Thomas Payne furniture.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Actually they can be repaired. Our heat pad on one chair stopped working while under warranty. I contacted LCI and they shipped a new controller and heating pad. You do have to get to the back of the chair though to swap out the new parts.

Comment

Thanks Howard, I guess I will get into the guts of the chair and see what's up.
          Jeff
          2019 Solitude 375 RES
          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

We’ve had two of these recliners (in our previous Camper) for over a year with no problems. Each has its own pwr cord with black pwr supply. Try switching the black pwr supply from the good recliner to the non-working one. If it starts working, the problem is the black pwr supply module. We have had power supply problems with laptops and cable tv boxes over the years.

Doug
            2020 Solitude MBS377-R
            2013 F-150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
            No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Florida
            previously had Keystone Premier 31BHPR
            Doug & Barb
            2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
            2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
            No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
            Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by SolitudeAtLast View Post
              We’ve had two of these recliners (in our previous Camper) for over a year with no problems. Each has its own pwr cord with black pwr supply. Try switching the black pwr supply from the good recliner to the non-working one. If it starts working, the problem is the black pwr supply module. We have had power supply problems with laptops and cable tv boxes over the years.

Doug
              2020 Solitude MBS377-R
              2013 F-150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
              No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Florida
              previously had Keystone Premier 31BHPR
              That signature is too good not to have it in your profile, so I added it for you.

Welcome to the forum, Doug! It's always nice to read a helpful input in a person's first post.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
                Actually they can be repaired. Our heat pad on one chair stopped working while under warranty. I contacted LCI and they shipped a new controller and heating pad. You do have to get to the back of the chair though to swap out the new parts.
                It seems like we're assuming all chairs all the same. I'm very happy that you were able to replace the heating element in your chair. In our chair the pad is hardwired in and neither I nor my repair shop (one of the few good ones it sounds like) could pull the old element out. Thomas Payne even told the repair shop that the element was not replaceable, and that they no longer made my style of chair (why am I not surprisedf). They would have been happy to sell us a new chair for $2,000. That was too expensive for a $30 heating element.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

It seems like we're assuming all chairs all the same. I'm very happy that you were able to replace the heating element in your chair. In our chair the pad is hardwired in and neither I nor my repair shop (one of the few good ones it sounds like) could pull the old element out. Thomas Payne even told the repair shop that the element was not replaceable, and that they no longer made my style of chair (why am I not surprisedf). They would have been happy to sell us a new chair for $2,000. That was too expensive for a $30 heating element.
                  John is correct on this. Until about 18 months ago, LCI built their Thomas Payne recliners with sewn in heating elements that could not be replaced without replacing the whole chair. (Your forum moderators learned this on an LCI furniture plant factory tour in Indiana). It then dawned on them that putting the heating element in a pocket so that it would be replaceable would be a good idea. I think John might be off a little on the price comparison . . . it is likely closer to replacing a $3 heating element vs a complete $2000 chair .

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The funny part is I could care less about the heating and massaging and mixing me a mean rum and coke functions...I just want the reclining part to work lol.
                    Jeff
                    2019 Solitude 375 RES
                    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

The heating element should be in the lower back, not the butt. People our age have back issues and a heating pad travels with us anyway. When I replaced the heating pad I really did look to see if I could create a pocket to slip it into the back cushion. No Luck.

Comment

Ref: Recliners being “bolted down”: Our 2020 with pwr recliners has just 2 screws each holding them to the floor. Recline them so the foot rest is most of the way up. Should be one screw on each side in the front, but kind of behind the lower bar across the front. Facing the recliners, the side of the left recliner is hooked into the center consol, which is hooked into the side of the right recliner. Hope this helps.
                        Doug & Barb
                        2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                        2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                        No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                        Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

I had them send me a pair of heating elements( $50) and they sent me the wrong one mine is 12 volt. New ones installed but now heat never shuts off so they want me to buy 2 control boxes at roughly same cost. Since it has not been cold I went on to something else and forgot to order them. Good thing because now the recliner head is starting to peel. Good thing I did not waste my money on this.

Lippert offered me a new recliner at 50% off. Will wait for new line to come out in January see if they now offer fabric not pleather options.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

I just bought a used 2028 Solitude and recliners do not work even though previous owner replaced power harness(he said it worked fine after doing that😒).. how do I diagnose if it’s an actuator or power harness problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonal&rtww View Post
                              I just bought a used 2028 Solitude and recliners do not work even though previous owner replaced power harness(he said it worked fine after doing that😒).. how do I diagnose if it’s an actuator or power harness problem?
                              I can't believe that Grand Design and LCI still haven't put decent quality heat pads in the 2028 models!

Ok, I'll go back in the corner now.
                              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                              2020 Momentum 351M
                              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X