Thomas Payne recliner stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

I can't believe that Grand Design and LCI still haven't put decent quality heat pads in the 2028 models!

Ok, I'll go back in the corner now.

They forgot the Flux Capacitor.....

Back under my rock....
    John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
    2017 Jayco 26BH
    2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Hi, I have just joined and am having a recliner problem with our Thomas Payne recliner. Ours are theater seating with manual reclining. To recline you just pull a tab between the seat and arm rest. It has worked fine until recently and one of the tabs will not open the recliner anymore. I cannot see much looking at the other side that works. Since the recliner is not movable, I can't work on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ray

2008 For F-350

2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.

Comment

Originally posted by rayhatch View Post
        Hi, I have just joined and am having a recliner problem with our Thomas Payne recliner. Ours are theater seating with manual reclining. To recline you just pull a tab between the seat and arm rest. It has worked fine until recently and one of the tabs will not open the recliner anymore. I cannot see much looking at the other side that works. Since the recliner is not movable, I can't work on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ray

2008 For F-350

2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.
        Ray,
        The recliner (should be) screwed into the floor. Find those screws and remove them (note their location!), unplug the recliner from the wall, and you'll be able to move the the unit so you can tilt it on it's back to scrutinize the interior to find out what's going on.

Howard

P.S. Want to know more about this forum? Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard, I wanted to do that, but I can't get to the screws on the side the latch is broke. I have to raise the recliner to get to the screws. Is there another way to get to the screws?

Ray

2008 Ford F-350

2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.
          Last edited by rayhatch; 07-05-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Ray, you don't say if the pull tab/cable is loose (moves when you pull up on it) or not. If the cable doesn't move try pushing in on the footrest to take tension of the latch and then pull on the cable. If the cable is loose, then you will need to get the recliner free of the floor. On our recliners, there is a channel across the front with two screws in it holding the recliner in place. There is a couple of inches of clearance between the bottom of the footrest and then floor so while it won't be easy it should be possible to get the screws out mostly by feel (right angle screwdriver to start with and then might have to switch to pliers or vice grips when there is no more clearance for the screwdriver).

If this is a double recliner (two piece) then the sections are probable hooked together. Depending on which half is giving you trouble, you may have remove both.

Good Luck
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

rayhatch Open the working recliner and lay on the floor in front of it. On the pull handle side between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way back and about 6" up you will see a white clip. Pull or have someone pull the release until you find this. Move over to the non working recliner and remember its a mirror. I can reach up under the side of the recliner (not enough room from the front) and activate the release. You may have to feel around a bit, and push in on the foot rest to relieve some of the friction on the latch. I think the latch pulls forward to release, watch the working side to verify.

Hopefully you can get it open like this.

Edited as I tagged the wrong person.
              Last edited by Jlawles2; 07-06-2021, 09:28 PM.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks, I will try and get the screws out. It is a double recliner so the whole recliner will have to be taken out. I think I can get to the front screw on both sides, but I am not sure I can get to the rear screw on the side that won't open The release that does not work moves, but dose not open the recliner.

Joseph, can't find white tab yet. Will looks some more in the cool of the morning. Thanks for all your help.

It is under warranty, but I would rather fix it my self if I can.

Ray

2008 Ford F-350
                2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.

Comment

Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have time, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members have the best possible experience on the forum including posting tips, how to set up a signature line and searching the forums. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

rayhatch Ray, look for any moving part on the working side. On mine it's a white rod cylinder. I can try and get a picture in the morning if you would like. It's buried a back more than 1/2 way and up 6" or so. Best way to see it was looking across diagonally through the open foot rest.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'd be very surprised if there are hold down screws along the back of the recliner. Mine only has screws at the front. Also, I just looked and the on my recliners are hid behind the felt wrapping, so just about impossible to get through with the foot rest down. Of course, Joseph's and yours, Ray, could be different.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                        I'd be very surprised if there are hold down screws along the back of the recliner. Mine only has screws at the front. Also, I just looked and the on my recliners are hid behind the felt wrapping, so just about impossible to get through with the foot rest down. Of course, Joseph's and yours, Ray, could be different.
                        I would concur. Neither of our rigs have had screws on the back side of the theater seating. The seating is modular. If you remove the screws on the front on the left-hand seat, it will lift up and off the armrest module (if there is one) so you can reach behind the right-hand seat to get to things. In our current Solitude, I removed the left-hand seat and armrest and put the seating back together without the armrest (my wife didn't like it - she likes to curl up on the seats). I also unplugged the connectors to the vibrators and lights as they were constantly getting turned on accidentally and we don't use them.

Rob
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I went out this morning and was able to manually open the left hand (working) side from underneath. When I tried to locate the same lever on the right (non-working) side, I found it was not connected but loose and was not connected like the other side so it did not work to open the recliner.

Regarding the hold-down screws, I removed the front screw on the working side and the side does not move. It is screwed down in the back also. The front screw is a 3/4 - 1 inch wood screw and the back looks to be the same.

I am going to continue to try and find a manual release on the non-working side.

Thanks for all your help!

Ray

2008 Ford F-350
                          2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.

Comment

I found a manual release for the non-working side underneath. After taking out the front and back tie-down screws, I was able to remove the recliners. The left one was free standalone (except for two hooks) and the counsel was attached to the left recliner. I found the nut holding the latch had come loose. I hooked everything back up so it matched the left recliner, put it back together and it works. I did discover it was easier to plug in the electrical before the chairs are fully in. They can be plugged in afterwards if necessary.

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement.

We have had this RV less than a year and so far I have been able to fix all the problems we have had. I could not have fix this without all you help!!

Thanks,

Ray

2008 Ford F-350
                            2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE.

Comment

rayhatch Ray, I put both of my recliners on a switched power strip. If no one wants the heat or massage then I turn off the power strip as they have ben turned on by accident when getting up.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                                rayhatch Ray, I put both of my recliners on a switched power strip. If no one wants the heat or massage then I turn off the power strip as they have ben turned on by accident when getting up.
                                On this note, is it possible to contact Thomas Payne, via GD, to tell them to have the buttons updated so they aren't sensitive to light touches? These should be actual depressed buttons vs sensors, since they are right near where you hands are. I rarely use mine, but almost always accidentally turn something on while occupying the chair. <grin>

Comment

Working...
                                X