Pantry Roll-Out Shelves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

Wow, great job! Pls advise, what type of locking mechanism did you go with to prevent opening while traveling? TY
    Hello Schiefswret,

This is a question I've been struggling with myself. I've considered vertical locking pins, a simple slide and rotate latch, even some kind of spring-loaded latching hinge. But none of these eloquently solve the problem. The goal, is something spring loaded so I don't have to worry about it, - something that automatically latches and "locks in place" when it's pushed in and the cabinet door is closed.

Since there are two (top and bottom shelves), I'm now considering a press and release latching handle on the door. Problem here is, most (if not all) have plastic receivers - and that makes me a little nervous about keeping the door shut while on the road. I camp off rugged terrain so I need something sure and solid. Possibly something from the marine industry. I may take the approach of buying off the shelf and then fabricating my own metal receiver.

For now, my immediate solution is a simple board across the front, locked behind the cabinet trim.

I welcome any ideas or suggestions. I have scrubbed the iNet like mad but still have not found the right solution - self-locking, strong and attractive to the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Wagner View Post

Hello Schiefswret,

This is a question I've been struggling with myself. I've considered vertical locking pins, a simple slide and rotate latch, even some kind of spring-loaded latching hinge. But none of these eloquently solve the problem. The goal, is something spring loaded so I don't have to worry about it, - something that automatically latches and "locks in place" when it's pushed in and the cabinet door is closed.

Since there are two (top and bottom shelves), I'm now considering a press and release latching handle on the door. Problem here is, most (if not all) have plastic receivers - and that makes me a little nervous about keeping the door shut while on the road. I camp off rugged terrain so I need something sure and solid. Possibly something from the marine industry. I may take the approach of buying off the shelf and then fabricating my own metal receiver.

For now, my immediate solution is a simple board across the front, locked behind the cabinet trim.

I welcome any ideas or suggestions. I have scrubbed the iNet like mad but still have not found the right solution - self-locking, strong and attractive to the eye.
      Gotcha. I think I'll explain the situation to a hardware isle person at my local Home Depot or Lowes and see what they may have to say. If it sounds good, I'll report back. Good Luch.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

We bought a new (2021) 22MLE and love the design. My question is, has anyone figured out a nice solution to a roll-out shelf for the pantry? They are 32" deep, and kind'a tough to reach items in the back.

Before I note my observations, I'd like to say we love the trailer and glad we made the purchase - so, we are not at all disgruntled.

Other observations on the 22MLE:
        • Like others have noted, we found the oven to be pretty much useless - which is disappointing.
        • The fresh water overflow (blue tube) will dump close to 1/3 of the tank when parked on a regular street and the tires on the passenger side are about 3 inches lower than the driver side. Ouch! We found this out the hard way. I solved the problem by attaching a threaded cap to the overflow hose - but only after the tank is filled of course.
        • The fresh water fill cap has a vent next to it. Seems reasonable - until you look under the table seat (where the fill hose drops-in) and find the vent goes nowhere - and was at one time "plugged" with black silicone. This seems like an opportunity for disaster should splashing water (say, from filling the tank) find it's way in. Be sure your rig still has the silicone plug still in it! I suspect GD simply uses the same fill cap design/setup on all the trailers.
        Anyhow, these are some quick observations after our first Colorado use! Any solutions to my 32" deep pantry space would be very much appreciated!
        Joe, we just had a warranty trip to the dealership which involved our oven. They are telling Grand Design that the oven needs to be replaced because temps are off by over 100 degrees and not higher than about 275-300. I'll let you know what happens, but go ahead and get it documented. I put a oven thermometer on the rack pointing at the door and took pictures of both that thermometer and the display at the same time. It will be great if they send the Insignia as a replacement.

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

That would be great. Yes please, keep me informed!

Comment

[QUOTE=Joe Wagner;n28902]Solved: I built a sliding shelf and put baskets on it. This way we get the freedom of rolling it open, while at the same time the ability to remove the baskets. Other than my labor, it cost about $55 plus shipping of the parts. It is a little heavy because slides that extend the full length are quite robust, and they are mounted on 1/4" plywood, but hey it slides nice. Below are some pics and links for those interested.

Couple of notes:
            1) Be certain to build a locking mechanism to prevent the shelf from rolling open while on the road. ** This is critical **
            2) This length shelf does not interfere with the slide-out and although the pic does not show it, it is well above the cooktop.
            3) For you critics: I know the slides are mounted flat versus vertical. That was my solution to not punching holes in the side of the cabinet where they could be seen under the mirror. Also, I'm putting moderate weight goodies such as a few canned goods, cereal, chips and alike in the baskets.
            4) Although you do loose some space on the sides, you gain the space in the back! I suppose you could leave out the baskets and recover a little more space.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_095715.jpg  Views:	1  Size:	96.4 KB  ID:	29214
            Assembly before installation into the cabinet.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_095743.jpg  Views:	1  Size:	97.7 KB  ID:	29215
            Assembly with baskets.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_183851.jpg  Views:	2  Size:	101.6 KB  ID:	29212
            Fully extended.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_183802.jpg  Views:	2  Size:	99.2 KB  ID:	29213
            A look inside.

Links
            One set of slides that extend nearly the full length - up to 59". I scrubbed the iNet and this was all I could find. They are from a surplus house with very limited supply:
            [URL="https://skycraftsurplus.com/full-extension-ball-bearing-drawer-glides-30-59-inch-bearing-59in-ext-rp0604.html"]https://skycraftsurplus.com/full-ext...xt-rp

Hello Joe, We will be buying our 22MLE next month. Would you consider making these sliding shelves for our camper. We of course would pay for all the cost and labor. I am not as mechanically inclined as you. LOL. Thanks for your consideration. Mike and Pam from Florida

Comment

I have not ordered, nor have I looked for competitors, but I do have this place bookmarked

https://cabinetdoor.store/drawer-boxes

You should be able to order fully assembled custom drawers and slides from there.

In the next few days I plan on planning out my drawers. I'll report back what I come up with. (I really like what Joe's done, so I might scrub the drawer idea, and go with baskets)
              Mike
              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

2600rb. Slide out shelves from Lowe's. Bungee doors shut when traveling.

2020 2600rb

Comment

Fresh tank overflow is right above the leaf springs. put the shut off valve where I can reach it.

2020 2600rb

Comment

Just finished installing 3 rollout drawers in our pantry, in place of 2 adjustable shelves in the upper part of the pantry. Drawers were from Lowe’s that fit the full depth Of our pantry perfectly. Discarded the bottom mount slides that came with each drawer. Instead, purchased side mounted full length rollout slides at Lowe’s also. Cut down the right side of each drawer as shown, so you can easily see contents. Drawers are offset to the right because the Pantry door is hinged on the left. Provides more clearance of the door, when sliding out drawer. Bottom drawer height allows door to be closed without inside door knob hitting the drawer. Support for the left side slides is done with 2x4’s see in photo. We may paint or stain later to improve appearance. My cabinet maker friend installed them, but it should not be too difficult for someone handy. The metal slides were a little too long, so extra length cut off the rear. Click image for larger version

Name:	2FA97680-F4A0-454A-AB7C-16BB85DA1A8D.jpeg
Views:	824
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	31344Click image for larger version

Name:	C5167CEE-275B-4252-AC85-F4E6A5AD0F30.jpeg
Views:	697
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	31345Click image for larger version

Name:	EB09D865-122C-4E81-B80C-CA742DE05298.jpeg
Views:	735
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	31346
                    Doug & Barb
                    2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                    2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                    No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                    Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

The Simple Human website has some pull out shelves that appear to be easy to install and lightweight, available in several sizes. I haven't gotten any of them, but they are worth a look.

John in PA

Comment

Solved: I built a sliding shelf and put baskets on it. This way we get the freedom of rolling it open, while at the same time the ability to remove the baskets. Other than my labor, it cost about $55 plus shipping of the parts. It is a little heavy because slides that extend the full length are quite robust, and they are mounted on 1/4" plywood, but hey it slides nice. Below are some pics and links for those interested.

Couple of notes:
                        1) Be certain to build a locking mechanism to prevent the shelf from rolling open while on the road. ** This is critical **
                        2) This length shelf does not interfere with the slide-out and although the pic does not show it, it is well above the cooktop.
                        3) For you critics: I know the slides are mounted flat versus vertical. That was my solution to not punching holes in the side of the cabinet where they could be seen under the mirror. Also, I'm putting moderate weight goodies such as a few canned goods, cereal, chips and alike in the baskets.
                        4) Although you do loose some space on the sides, you gain the space in the back! I suppose you could leave out the baskets and recover a little more space.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_095715.jpg  Views:	1  Size:	96.4 KB  ID:	29214
                        Assembly before installation into the cabinet.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_095743.jpg  Views:	1  Size:	97.7 KB  ID:	29215
                        Assembly with baskets.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_183851.jpg  Views:	2  Size:	101.6 KB  ID:	29212
                        Fully extended.

Click image for larger version.  Name:	20200902_183802.jpg  Views:	2  Size:	99.2 KB  ID:	29213
                        A look inside.

Links
                        One set of slides that extend nearly the full length - up to 59". I scrubbed the iNet and this was all I could find. They are from a surplus house with very limited supply:
                        https://skycraftsurplus.com/full-ext...xt-rp0604.html

Twin baskets that fit perfectly:
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps!
                        Thanks for the info. We have the same RV and just picked it up. I was considering what you did, but taking out the factory shelf and stacking a total of 4 units.

Also, this place makes custom units, but not as deep as we wanted.
                        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Working...
                        X