3740BH/3740BH-R Sofa Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3740BH/3740BH-R Sofa Question

Our family is currently a boating family, but we are looking to go on a new journey and do some RVing while our kids are still young. We have been looking for a few months and have narrowed our search down to three Grand Design RV's (Reflection TT 312BHTS, Reflection FW 367BHS and Solitude S-Class 3740BH). Our favorite is the S-Class 3740BH but what we are finding on lots near us is that they all come with the super sofa and we would like the option with the free standing dinette.

We were hoping to get feedback from the community on if it is possible to remove part of that super sofa and put an Ikea table or something in, or if it isn't worth it and we should either wait until we find one with the table option, or even custom order one. I know inventory is hard to find and slow to restock, but we don't mind waiting for the right one for us. Thank you in advance for any feedback or experience you can help offer.

Originally posted by thepilots View Post
    Our family is currently a boating family, but we are looking to go on a new journey and do some RVing while our kids are still young. We have been looking for a few months and have narrowed our search down to three Grand Design RV's (Reflection TT 312BHTS, Reflection FW 367BHS and Solitude S-Class 3740BH). Our favorite is the S-Class 3740BH but what we are finding on lots near us is that they all come with the super sofa and we would like the option with the free standing dinette.

We were hoping to get feedback from the community on if it is possible to remove part of that super sofa and put an Ikea table or something in, or if it isn't worth it and we should either wait until we find one with the table option, or even custom order one. I know inventory is hard to find and slow to restock, but we don't mind waiting for the right one for us. Thank you in advance for any feedback or experience you can help offer.
    The couch absolutely will come out, and you can do whatever you want with the space. In fact, any furniture you replace it with will be significantly better quality than the Lippert that it comes with. We have removed the U shaped dinette from our slideout, and moved the couch into its place temporarily. We then sourced an Ikea dining table and chairs and are putting that where the couch was, and will eventually replace the couch with recliners. Anything is possible as long as it fits through the door.

It is important to keep an eye on the weight, anything you buy will weigh quite a bit more than what you take out (see my above comment about the quality) so keep that in mind.

All that being said, you might want to order anyway, that way you get it exactly how you want it. We have talked about it and will definitely order our next rig. There are a few features that would be nice to have that are prohibitive to add (thermal pane windows for one).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Why not order exactly what you want from the factory (via a dealer, of course)? Lots of us do that.

If you haven't RVed with a towable before, pay as much attention to the proper tow vehicle as you do to the RV you buy. It's all about payload - not max towing capacity.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. When we bought our boat we custom ordered it from the factory so it's not something we are opposed to. Before we make the final decision we want to step foot into the 312BHTS (none are available within a 2 hour drive from us right now). It is seeming like the custom ordered option might be the way to go at this point if we don't find exactly what we want on the dealer lot.

As for the tow vehicle, we are likely doing rv first tow vehicle second. I'm leaning towards going the route of a one ton single rear wheel no matter which of these three we choose so that it would give us the ability to easily tow any of these three, and even larger if we wanted to in the future.
        Last edited by thepilots; 07-20-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. When we bought our boat we custom ordered it from the factory so it's not something we are opposed to. Before we make the final decision we want to step foot into the 312BHTS (none are available within a 2 hour drive from us right now). It is seeming like the custom ordered option might be the way to go at this point if we don't find exactly what we want on the dealer lot.

As for the tow vehicle, we are likely doing rig first tow vehicle second. I'm leaning towards going the route of a one ton single rear wheel no matter which of these three we choose so that it would give us the ability to easily tow any of these three, and even larger if we wanted to in the future.
          Watch your numbers, GVWR on the 3740BH is 16,800. That should put 3200-4200 on the pin, that will be well into dually territory. My SRW F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Diesel Platinum has about 3143 of payload available before I put anything in the truck. The 312BHTS comes in better with a GVWR 11,295 and a loaded tongue weight around 1,700. Obviously with the travel trailer you have the potential for more stuff in the bed lol. Its a vicious cycle.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

I'm looking at Ram 3500's right now. Luckily they have a quick look up by VIN for payload and towing capacity that I've been using when shopping trucks. With the packages we are looking at for a Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed truck I'm in the neighborhood of 4300-4400lbs payload capacity and around 18k max towing. If I can keep it closer to the recommended 20% pin weight I'll be plenty good and if it creeps up higher to the 25% number you referenced I'll need to shift the load around a little. I'm definitely being conscious of ensuring the tow vehicle can handle the RV we buy.

Edit to add:
            A dually isn't totally out of the question but I'd rather try my best to stick to the SRW if it will still get the job done effectively.
            Last edited by thepilots; 07-20-2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I'm looking at Ram 3500's right now. Luckily they have a quick look up by VIN for payload and towing capacity that I've been using when shopping trucks. With the packages we are looking at for a Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed truck I'm in the neighborhood of 4300-4400lbs payload capacity and around 18k max towing. If I can keep it closer to the recommended 20% pin weight I'll be plenty good and if it creeps up higher to the 25% number you referenced I'll need to shift the load around a little. I'm definitely being conscious of ensuring the tow vehicle can handle the RV we buy.
              Thats great payload on a SRW. Make sure its with the options you are looking at (I know you said it was by VIN, but make sure anyway). I am not super familiar with Ram, but I know Ford quotes payload for an unloaded truck, and the Diesel and other options eats up a lot.

Sounds like you have a great handle on it though.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Thats great payload on a SRW. Make sure its with the options you are looking at (I know you said it was by VIN, but make sure anyway). I am not super familiar with Ram, but I know Ford quotes payload for an unloaded truck, and the Diesel and other options eats up a lot.

Sounds like you have a great handle on it though.
                The numbers it spits out are VIN specific on the newer stuff (like sometimes it varies by a couple of pounds for virtually identical trucks) but I will verify it on the sticker of course before we buy. There are two things that are working towards giving that extra payload capacity. First, I'm giving up all the bells and whistles I have in my current vehicle which helps tremendously with the payload. The second is going to the true long bed and not the regular bed which oddly enough increases the payload capacity. The trucks mentioned above are Tradesman trims and a truck with the same drivetrain (Diesel, 4x4, etc) in a Larime regular bed would be closer to yours at between 3200-3600lbs roughly. The Lariame Long Beds are a little higher in the 3600-4000 depending on options. And of course there is plenty of room with the dually where even a Mega Cab Larime regular length bed gives around 5200 lbs and is sort of the worst case scenario for capacity and the best case (tradesman, long bed) is in the 5800lb range for payload.

Comment

The numbers it spits out are VIN specific on the newer stuff (like sometimes it varies by a couple of pounds for virtually identical trucks) but I will verify it on the sticker of course before we buy. There are two things that are working towards giving that extra payload capacity. First, I'm giving up all the bells and whistles I have in my current vehicle which helps tremendously with the payload. The second is going to the true long bed and not the regular bed which oddly enough increases the payload capacity. The trucks mentioned above are Tradesman trims and a truck with the same drivetrain (Diesel, 4x4, etc) in a Larime regular bed would be closer to yours at between 3200-3600lbs roughly. The Lariame Long Beds are a little higher in the 3600-4000 depending on options. And of course there is plenty of room with the dually where even a Mega Cab Larime regular length bed gives around 5200 lbs and is sort of the worst case scenario for capacity and the best case (tradesman, long bed) is in the 5800lb range for payload.
                  Yeah my Platinum eats up a bunch of payload for sure. I did not want the sunroof but I came with the package I got, which I wanted for automatic cruise. Last truck did not have that, and after having it in my last few daily drivers I really wanted it in my tow vehicle. I went from short bed to long bed, and I will say it rides better for sure. I run the Bakflip cover, which is great with the long bed for the covered storage in the front quarter of the bed. With the short bed I am not sure I would have been comfortable leaving the cover down that the pinbox would not hit it. I just had a soft tonneau on the short bed, so no sheltered storage in the bed. The covered front part is not waterproof obviously, but works really nice for the generator and grill.

Neil Citro

Comment

thepilots , It's a little thing but when we got our 2018 Ram the SRW didn't have the trailer brake control built into the dash even with the tow package. It would have been a knee knocker mount. We ended up with the dually so it was a non-factor for us. Hopefully Ram has changed their tune in the last two years.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                      thepilots , It's a little thing but when we got our 2018 Ram the SRW didn't have the trailer brake control built into the dash even with the tow package. It would have been a knee knocker mount. We ended up with the dually so it was a non-factor for us. Hopefully Ram has changed their tune in the last two years.
                      It's something that was an option on these trucks, but wasn't always chosen. I look for and immediately rule out trucks that don't have that or the puck system for the 5th wheels. If we found the absolutely perfect truck at a can't turn away price point I would likely buy the kit to install the factory brake controller it in the truck in the factory location. The nice thing with the 3500 and and with limited bells and whistles is that they make a dash kit where the whole bottom row of switches become aux switches if you want that type of functionality for auxiliary lights, air compressors, etc. One of the kits even comes with the stuff to flash the system and it then actually integrates into the on screen settings so you can choose to have the switches tied to ignition or available all the time as well as make them momentary or on/off.

Comment

Working...
                      X