Media Drawer now on the Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Drawer now on the Floor

Our 2021 337RLS has a very large media drawer directly below the TV. I was and am pleased to see the size of the drawer, the location and ease of use for storing our DVDs, CDs and media accessories. Unfortunately I found the loaded drawer on the floor after returning from our last trip out. It had to be one wild sliding, twisting, jerking sail of a ride for one drawer to the floor.

I don't believe I have over-weighted the drawer with contents, it was intended for media sources, what I believe is the issue is the fact that there is only one latch used to hold a very large drawer closed. We use push rods within the drawer to keep the contents from sliding around and acting as a battering ram.

After repairing and remounting the slide guides, touching up and repairing the damaged trim, and remounting the wood used against the back wall to support the slide guides the drawer is back to its original appearance and function. I am certain I could have had this all repaired through warrantee work but I don't like to wait. However I am not willing to reload the drawer with anything until I find a more secure way to latch the drawer.

I am open to suggestions from readers/members but am thinking I could add one or two more of the OEM plastic finger latches (I don't know what the official name of these latches are) to insure a safe and secure closure.

Here are the pictures of the media drawer on the floor.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FB8BDEC9-9F0C-4188-A65A-34E73E974668.jpeg
Views:	708
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	25427Click image for larger version

Name:	A5EF2A32-3176-49C7-8EAE-F11229719262.jpeg
Views:	431
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	25428Click image for larger version

Name:	89D8A49A-C9D5-490F-AB68-558375AF4D1D.jpeg
Views:	471
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	25429
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Originally posted by Santa61 View Post
    I am open to suggestions from readers/members but am thinking I could add one or two more of the OEM plastic finger latches (I don't know what the official name of these latches are) to insure a safe and secure closure.
    I had to add latches to the drawers under the bedroom closet for the same reason. This thread may be of interest: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...nt-any-options
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Santa61 View Post
      Our 2021 337RLS has a very large media drawer directly below the TV. I was and am pleased to see the size of the drawer, the location and ease of use for storing our DVDs, CDs and media accessories. Unfortunately I found the loaded drawer on the floor after returning from our last trip out. It had to be one wild sliding, twisting, jerking sail of a ride for one drawer to the floor.

I don't believe I have over-weighted the drawer with contents, it was intended for media sources, what I believe is the issue is the fact that there is only one latch used to hold a very large drawer closed. We use push rods within the drawer to keep the contents from sliding around and acting as a battering ram.

After repairing and remounting the slide guides, touching up and repairing the damaged trim, and remounting the wood used against the back wall to support the slide guides the drawer is back to its original appearance and function. I am certain I could have had this all repaired through warrantee work but I don't like to wait. However I am not willing to reload the drawer with anything until I find a more secure way to latch the drawer.

Here are the pictures of the media drawer on the floor.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	FB8BDEC9-9F0C-4188-A65A-34E73E974668.jpeg Views:	26 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	25427Click image for larger version  Name:	A5EF2A32-3176-49C7-8EAE-F11229719262.jpeg Views:	18 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	25428Click image for larger version  Name:	89D8A49A-C9D5-490F-AB68-558375AF4D1D.jpeg Views:	15 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	25429
      You could find something similar to this
      https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ThHD_8Q8wII3AM

Use the side wall and the cabinet side as the keeper location but us a grommet or plug to reinforce the hole

Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Howson, thanks for sending the link. I would like to find the "catch friction" fastener and use these. I have never been a fan of the roller push latches although they do serve a function until they get out of alignment or become bent.

Yoda, no doubt this would hold the drawer in place when traveling. It's on the list for consideration. Thanks for the input.
        Keith and Tina
        2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
        Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

I have the same problem with our 2020 337 I found a 2 inch thumb operated cam lock on amazon for 11.99 just now ordered it.

Comment

Here's an update on what I did to combat the media draw not staying closed during travel.

I bought ACIN Push Latches to match the OEM latch on the drawer. I added two additional Push Latches to now have a total of three latches. To accomplish this I had to mount a small block of wood behind the face board. I used 1 1/4" x 3/4" x 2" block behind the face board and then mounted the female receiver to each block. As others have posted, it is tricky to determine exactly where to mount the female receiver part of the latch. Careful measurement and a little luck I was able to mount both of the new latches.

We just returned from a 2,300 mile trip and I am glad to report the drawer stayed closed and latched during all the travel. The best test of any rigs road worthiness is driving from Buffalo Wyoming to Casper Wyoming. Unbelievable rough road on Interstate 25. The drawer stayed secure!

Here are a couple of pictures to show the latch and installed result.

Keith, Santa61
            Click image for larger version

Name:	D6D1A316-E5B5-48DA-B4DA-2D3C247EAA7A.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	27385Click image for larger version

Name:	7DC01371-AC27-4FD3-A31F-104225CE3978.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	27384
            Keith and Tina