Change overhead bed entry to garage side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change overhead bed entry to garage side

I recently purchased a 2020 Momentum 328G toyhauler and was looking to move the entry for the overhead bed (currently on the kitchen side to the garage side. Has anyone tried to do this? I’m a contractor and can do the work quite easily but didn’t want to start to open up walls without know if there is some electrical or plumbing in that area. I tried calling Grand Design to ask but they were unable to verify if they would have ran anything in that space.
    Last edited by howson; 07-31-2020, 08:54 PM.

Originally posted by Maze View Post
    I recently purchased a 2020 Momentum 328G toyhauler and was looking to move the entry for the overhead bed (currently on the kitchen side to the garage side. Has anyone tried to do this? I’m a contractor and can do the work quite easily but didn’t want to start to open up walls without know if there is some electrical or plumbing in that area. I tried calling Grand Design to ask but they were unable to verify if they would have ran anything in that space.
    Maze--GD does not allow posting of any of their diagrams. I've removed it for your convenience.

I can't help with your question--hopefully another owner of a 328G will chime in.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I can not imagine that there would be any thing inside that wall. It would not be hard to remove the lower corner trim and pry open the paneling a bit to see what is there , depending on how many staples they used. I have not read of anyone that has done tis so you may be the guinea pig.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Maze , I think what your really asking is whether the load of the loft is being carried by the bottom horizontal beam. or in part by suspension from the roof truss. GD engineers should at least be able to answer this question. Of course if there is sufficient space between vertical studs in the wall for the opening you want then your probably good to go.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

We opened it up on the other side for storage, didn’t encounter anything. We used a cabinet door to close it off.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Janizona View Post
            We opened it up on the other side for storage, didn’t encounter anything. We used a cabinet door to close it off.
            That is a great job.

Was there any vertical structure that you had to remove?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We only went half way but seems there was one, not really a support.

Comment

Originally posted by Maze View Post
                We are looking at a 328g. How do you like the setup. Is one bathroom working for you. We have 2011 gmc 2500hd denali getting the 5th wheel installed. We was looking at the 328g because of the 36ft and 1 bath 3500 lbs of storage looks good. What are your thoughts.

Comment

Small red flag went off when I read that you have a 2500HD, Johnand Janet . The 328G has a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. 20% of this for the hitch is 3,3360 lbs (the 2,200 lbs liisted in the specs is for the UVW). It looks like the payload for the 2500HD is 3,704 lbs (You'll want to double check this with the actual stickers on your truck), leaving in the worst case just 344 lbs for fuel, people, snacks, and whatnot. Just want to make sure you're not looking at more trailer than you have truck for.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                    Small red flag went off when I read that you have a 2500HD, Johnand Janet . The 328G has a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. 20% of this for the hitch is 3,3360 lbs (the 2,200 lbs liisted in the specs is for the UVW). It looks like the payload for the 2500HD is 3,704 lbs (You'll want to double check this with the actual stickers on your truck), leaving in the worst case just 344 lbs for fuel, people, snacks, and whatnot. Just want to make sure you're not looking at more trailer than you have truck for.
                    John - If they have a diesel, the concerns are right on. Our same generation 2012 loaded Chevy diesel has a payload sticker just short of 2500#s. If they have a gasser, the PL could be another 800 or so greater.....still a concern possibly.

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                    X