Interior Wall Discoloration - Transcend Xplor 265BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Wall Discoloration - Transcend Xplor 265BH

After I replaced/relocated the towel bar in our new 265BH, my wife (it was her, I swear!) made the mistake of using regular Dap wall spackling to fill the holes left by the original screws. The result left what appears to be a permanent blemish on the wall. While I first thought this was just spackling caught between the lines of textured wallpaper (or whatever it is), the more we tried to clean it with plain water, the more it seemed like we were making the problem worse. Here are my questions:
    • What is the interior textured wallpaper on the Transcend Xplor made from? Is there a chemical reaction with Dap spackling or similar drywall or wood patch products that can mar this surface? More to the point, which chemicals in these products should we avoid?
    • If the cause is not a chemical reaction, what is the best application for cleaning spackling from walls?
    • In the future, what are the best methods for filling holes like this? I was going to apply wood patch sparingly to only the hole itself, but now I wonder if this may also have adverse effects.
    We are adding a back-splash covering on this wall, so it's not a major issue. In the interim, it's ugly, and I've been very careful to ensure drill holes and all other enhancements are done in a way that allows any future buyer to make choices of their own without cleaning up our mess. All ideas are appreciated - thanks!
    Last edited by sailbound; 08-07-2020, 05:35 PM.
    David & Nanette
    2020 GD Transcend Xplor 265BH
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L
    Louisville, KY

I had to do a small patch on my ceiling. I used spackle very carefully to just fill the hole. Then, I went to the local paint store and picked up a whole handful of paint chips that were about the same color as the ceiling. I brought them back to the RV and matched up the ceiling material to a paint chip which was extremely close. I had the paint store mix up a little sample bottle and I used a brush to dab it in place. Unless you knew what you were looking for, you wouldn't be able to see it.

I don't think anyone will be able to answer your questions about the chemical reaction that may have occurred between the spackle and the wall material. GDRV sure won't know. It would have to be someone that understood the chemistry of both the spackle and the wall material.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jim! Coming from years of sailing, I was hoping there might be more common knowledge among GD owners about what works --or doesn't work-- on their trailer surfaces. There is tremendous knowledge about this sort of stuff in the sailing community, with countless blog posts around compatibility between epoxies and varnishes and the materials to which they're applied. I certainly don't expect to find a lot of chemists on these pages, but I did hope GD might have published guidelines around this topic... your comment that "GD sure won't know" has now put that idea to bed!

Anyway, I knew this would be a narrow topic, and it looks like the thread will end here.. That said, I may try your paint-match approach, and I do appreciate the reply. Thank you!
      David & Nanette
      Louisville, KY

Comment

Originally posted by sailbound View Post
        Thanks for the reply, Jim! Coming from years of sailing, I was hoping there might be more common knowledge among GD owners about what works --or doesn't work-- on their trailer surfaces. There is tremendous knowledge about this sort of stuff in the sailing community, with countless blog posts around compatibility between epoxies and varnishes and the materials to which they're applied. I certainly don't expect to find a lot of chemists on these pages, but I did hope GD might have published guidelines around this topic... your comment that "GD sure won't know" has now put that idea to bed!

Anyway, I knew this would be a narrow topic, and it looks like the thread will end here.. That said, I may try your paint-match approach, and I do appreciate the reply. Thank you!
        Cate&Rob Rob is a long time sailor from Canada who also owns a GDRV product. He might have some ideas.

I might have dismissed GDRV too quickly with my comment. I'd still contact customer service and see if they can provide any information on the wall material that is used. If you can get technical information from GDRV's supplier, it might define the material being used and then the real research can begin.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

sailbound TucsonJim

I have not heard of this problem . . . but, I have never tried this type of repair myself. Is it possible that the hole fill material is pulling the wall paper glue up through the paper? The wall board underneath would be luan ply in most Grand Design products (which is usually quite inert), but I don’t know this for a fact on Transcend. I think I would still ask Grand Design Customer Service to see if they have any insight.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            sailbound TucsonJim

I have not heard of this problem . . . but, I have never tried this type of repair myself. Is it possible that the hole fill material is pulling the wall paper glue up through the paper? The wall board underneath would be luan ply in most Grand Design products (which is usually quite inert), but I don’t know this for a fact on Transcend. I think I would still ask Grand Design Customer Service to see if they have any insight.

Rob
            Thanks Jim, and great to hear from you again, Rob... this is the second time you've helped me out! I will give them a call and see what I find out. Funny, but I had actually considered the potential of this ahead of time and deliberately left the holes there until I determined what was safe -- and as Jim suggested, I wanted to restrict the filler to only the hole as much as possible. Unfortunately, after spackling the backplate I fabricated to keep the rod centered while still bolting to a stud, my wife got hasty and smeared some on --and around-- the holes too. wasn't our happiest moment, but I'm smart enough to know I've done similar things and will do so again. Thank you both for the assist!
            David & Nanette
            Louisville, KY

Comment

Working...
            X