Custom Tie-down system for Dirt Bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Tie-down system for Dirt Bikes

My custom made dirt bike tie-down system is finished. It cost me $150 in materials, and a little labor to assemble it all. And this is to tie down 4 dirt bikes in two rows in our Momentum 21G. I like this system better than "Bolt It On" or any other after market industry solution. Bolt It On is way too expensive, requires you to purchase expensive add-ons for additional bikes, and still requires you to use tie-down straps on the front forks. Here is something much better:

1) Purchase 2x2 steel posts (8 ft lengths) on Amazon for $46. These posts are very strong, and are perforated with holes the entire length of the post, allowing you to put an eye-bolt or J-bolt anywhere:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2) Cut the posts to desired length (miter saw works best)
    3) Purchase (2) 1/2" J bolts per post to attach each end of the post to your existing tie down anchors in the toy hauler. You will have to enlarge two of the existing holes in the post to 1/2", since they are 7/16" holes.
    4) Purchase as many 3/8 x 2.5" eye-bolts as you need, which will be used as your anchor points for the dirt bike foot pegs. Of course this is highly configurable on the fly, because there are holes the entire length of the post.
    5) You can use left-overs from what you cut off the post as the supports for the post, which will be mounted close to where the toy hauler anchor tie-downs are (see pictures).
    6) Good idea to add a felt bottom to the post support to avoid scratching your floor
    7) Assemble everything, locating supports and eye-bolts where needed.
    8) load your bikes by simply pushing them right over the tied down posts (much easier than trying to tie down the posts after the bikes are in).

Pictures of this system and all other mods are here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zTzcnSG23NwojJZT7
    Last edited by VicKurt; 08-13-2020, 01:20 PM.

Hi there VicKurt. Welcome to the tech forum. You're just the kind of person we're always excited to see join us. Some of those projects in your photo gallery are awesome. I especially like how you mounted that exhaust system.

Good stuff, and once again, welcome!

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Hi there VicKurt. Welcome to the tech forum. You're just the kind of person we're always excited to see join us. Some of those projects in your photo gallery are awesome. I especially like how you mounted that exhaust system.

Good stuff, and once again, welcome!

Jim
      Thanks! The custom exhaust system is also very easy to make yourself, and cheaper than the standard industry solution ($150 for Camso venturi, which won't exactly work for a 21G). Two 5 foot x 4 inch vent pipes from Menards cost $30, plus some standard EMT pipe, and you have almost everything you need. I got the mounting idea (hang it from the rain gutter) via a YouTube video, but I modified it since I have the luxury of a welder in my shop. The exhaust is pretty light, and the rain gutter is actually pretty sturdy, so I'm not concerned. And it's very quick to hang it and take it down.

Last edited by howson; 08-14-2020, 01:30 PM. Reason: Per request of said forum no links are allowed. Removed.

Comment

I love the tongue storage box! Can you send me the details so I can duplicate the setup? I’ve got the Stromberg rack but need to find the box. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by C-Mu View Post
          I love the tongue storage box! Can you send me the details so I can duplicate the setup? I’ve got the Stromberg rack but need to find the box. Thanks!
          Here's the toolbox I bought, but looks like it's currently unavailable.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Just looping back to this, did you have any troubles with the plastic hose in the hot water compartment? (I also realize he hasn't been to the forum in 30 days, but maybe he has email notifications turned on)
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Just looping back to this, did you have any troubles with the plastic hose in the hot water compartment? (I also realize he hasn't been to the forum in 30 days, but maybe he has email notifications turned on)
              It's not just a plastic hose, it's a high-pressure hose designed for hot water, but still very cheap at any hardware store. Check the specs on the hose before you buy it.

Comment

Working...
              X