Saddle Box Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Box Repair

Well after spending all afternoon resizing photos, I can finally put together my repair.

First - what caused the failure - in a nut shell inadequate support, and possible improper installation. I found uneven parameter support and the box was warped downward before the front screws were installed thus inducing stress even before it was loaded. I also found one big wiring safety issue, For those that have furnace function issues, read on.

First - getting the box out. The visible screws are easy, it is the hidden one in the basement wall structure that are tough. Before I go on, Bag and label where the screws cam from as some are different lengths. I did not do this and it led to some frustration in putting things back together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0294s.jpg Views:	3 Size:	159.5 KB ID:	27598
    Remove wall from frame (bag and label screws)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0295s.jpg Views:	2 Size:	145.0 KB ID:	27599
    While panel is off tighten the coax connections and check wiring. If you look closely you will see the safety issue. Hint - back corner of furnace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0296s.jpg Views:	2 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	27600
    Unscrew wall framing from trailer side and top and bottom. Its important to keep track of where the screws can from as the side wall one are shorter. The top and side screws go into aluminum structure. Bottom ones into the base plywood. Again look at back corner of furnace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0297s.jpg Views:	2 Size:	87.5 KB ID:	27601This is the problem area with wires lying directly on the sharp metal edge. These wires control furnace function. Mine showed evidence of chafing. GDRV-Emily @GDRV-Megan
    This is something production may want to look at.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0300s.jpg Views:	2 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	27602

Where the above wires connect
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-21-2020, 03:35 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299s.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	27605
    The problem metal strip runs the full length of the furnace.

Name:	IMG_0335s.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	27606

Name:	IMG_0336s.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	27607
    When I put it back together I put the furnace wires in a high temp 3/8 loom, and secured it away from the furnace side, I also installed a section of the loom to fully cover the sharp edge.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Now to the box

Name:	IMG_0301s.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	27614

Name:	IMG_0302s.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	27615
      Notice the side flooring is below the main flooring. This unevenness put stress on the box.

Name:	IMG_0305s.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	27616
      In case you wondering the pas through and front compartment floor is 5/8 inch.

Name:	IMG_0333s.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	27617
      So part of the fix is to level things up (both sides). This was my first try and wood shims. I ended up with using paint sticks and shims (sorry no photo).

Name:	IMG_0320s.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	27618
      This is how my saddle box had failed. Screws had puled out and cracked front edge. Note the gap when the box was free of front and side attachment.

Comment

Once I had the box out I discovered the distance to the first bottom rib was 3 inches, which just happened to be the same distance from the bottom to the lower front lip. I dropped by my local metal shop and go some 3" by 3" 3/16 thick extruded aluminum angle. Architectural style angle would also work (its bent) 1/6 thickness would also work, but the did not stock any. This material ca be gotten on line for about 4 times the cost from you local metal shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0304s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	27621
        With the box out measure the distance along the frame below the door. behind the covering is structural aluminum. The outside to outside measurement will be the length you need, The extra outside the box length gives you room for two more mounting bolts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0322s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	27622
        Its hard to see but the box side lip is badly warped. it shows how the front of the box pulled down to fit the uneven edge support. I used heat and formed it back into place along with the bulges in the from box lip where the screws pulled out. Be careful - to much heat can melt this plastic easily.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0329s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	27623

This image shows how the aluminum angle conformed to the saddle box bottom. Good fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0316s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	27625
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0317s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	27624

Time for a break, Archie, our barn cat, came by to inspect and get his belly rub. He was a terror when we first adopted him. He sure has mellowed out now that he is 1.5 years young.
        Last edited by Yoda; 08-21-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Fitment
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0321s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	27629

First fit the angle inside the door frame and temp secure. I used double faced gorilla tape. Then set the box back in and temp secure using the original holes on the back edge. Adjust the angle up until full contact is made withe box and the side edges are level. This should be about 1/8 inch below the bottom door edge excluding lip. From the front and underneath mark the angle where the box fits. Remove box and angle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0331s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	27630
          securely clamp the angle to the box bottom and front lip. Drill a series of hole for the screws you plan to use. Extruded aluminum is tough so self tapping metal screws are best. 1/2" long is good. While you at it drill larger holes on both ends for the support bolts that will fit the bottom door frame. Secure all screws to thread holes, then remove them. attach double face tap to the inside of the saddle box front lip, but do not remove cover paper. also place 4 2" long pieces of double faced tape to t he back of the angle where it will contact the door frame.

Now to reinforce the back and side lips of the box I got some w1/2" wide by 1/16 aluminum flat bar for Tractor Supply (HD has it too) Using double face tape I secured it along the side and back edges. You will be surprised at how rigged the box gets at this point.

Installation
          First place the angle in place so it rests just inside the door frame on the skirt material. hold in place with masking tap if needed, Then place the saddle box into the opening. Why do it this way? Because with the angle attached to the box I could not get it into the opening. Now with the box in place and level and temp secured along the back and side edge (you will need to pre-drill the lip holes), carefully slide the angle up and align your pre-drilled bottom holes. Temp screw the angle to the bottom and then to the front of the box being careful no to stick it to the front frame (use some wood shims to hold it off). At this point shift the angle up until the box is fully supported and remove the cover for the double face tape and secure it to the inside door frame. Easy as cake - no but you will get there. At this point go under the box and pre-derill and install self taping bolts at both ends of the angle into the lower door frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0337s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.8 KB ID:	27631
          Then secure the front of the box to the door frame. these should have been pre-drilled too. Note how close the angle top lips is to the bottom of the door. Last step is secure the remaining box to angle screws (front and bottom) and tighten the remaining parameter screws. Then reinstall wall frame. It is a tight fit and have fun lining up the existing holes. I suggest start at the bottom and side wall end. The put cover back on while not pinching wires.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0348s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.4 KB ID:	27632

All done and ready to go. I should note that on the left side I did fit the box under the angle that runs along the front wall. It was originally on top and bent down to fit. I created a crease in the rail for a good fit. The last step was to put black foam behind the box against the trailer frame. GD black foam acts as an adhesive. I drilled a few 1/4" holes to inject through, While at it I sealed wherever I could see daylight around the box.

Hope this helps
          Keith

Last edited by Yoda; 08-21-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Thought I would add a few from the bottom.

Name:	IMG_0353s.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	27640

Name:	IMG_0354s.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	27641
            Foam job needs some touch ups

Name:	IMG_0357s.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	27642

Comment

Looks good Keith,

Thanks for the fix steps & picts.
              I'd already forgotten what the saddle box was till I saw your picts.
              I did a mini repair on my bin's outer edge where it was cracking around the screws.
              I slipped 2 pieces 3" aluminum angle so they're under the middle part of the box.
              Put screws through the box & angle into the existing screw holes with some kydex washers glued to the box along with some fender washers.

Name:	Saddle Box - AL Angle at Outer Edge of Bin.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	27650
              Attached Files
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Thank you Yoda ! We will get the info over to them.

Comment

Working...
                X